Hydraulic bowthruster

bigcol

Featured Posts

Another Question

hydraulic Bowthruster needs a pump, to pump arround the fluid

this is normally done by having a pump running from gearbox or the engine.

i see electric pumps being used for power steering in many cars

also in massive machinery and of course jobs and earthmoving equipment.

is it possible that a electric pump can’t be used for a hydraulic bow thruster.

what things or wording am I looking for to locate one please 

7 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Another Question

hydraulic Bowthruster needs a pump, to pump arround the fluid

this is normally done by having a pump running from gearbox or the engine.

i see electric pumps being used for power steering in many cars

also in massive machinery and of course jobs and earthmoving equipment.

is it possible that a electric pump can’t be used for a hydraulic bow thruster.

what things or wording am I looking for to locate one please 

Try asking someone like |Peachments who have supplied our hydraulic BT.

https://www.peachment.co.uk/

Also Vetus who also supply hydraulic BT's

https://www.vetus.com/en/power-hydraulics/hydraulic-bow-thrusters.html

Howard

36 minutes ago, hawkesmith said:

You will need a battery at the bow to power the pump or whopping big cables running the length of your boat.

Flowfit in Ludlow are really helpful 01584876033.

I've done the whopping big cable trick - it doesn't work.  However, combine the cables with a small battery at the bow wired in parallel with the main batteries and it works like a treat.  It's about maintaining the voltage sufficient to operate the contactor without chattering.

Thankyou to Howard and Hawkesmith

beta didn’t know if you can get electric pumps for BTS, but gave Hercules as a contact as they don’t do anything re the pumps needed, only fit them for customers and Hercules.

ive rung up Hercules and yes they do electric pumps thank god, 

Which is good news for me phew!!

its amazing that beta did not know the answer

col

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I've done the whopping big cable trick - it doesn't work.  However, combine the cables with a small battery at the bow wired in parallel with the main batteries and it works like a treat.  It's about maintaining the voltage sufficient to operate the contactor without chattering.

Okay thanks for that, so installing batterys at Bow, also  pump at the bow as well with reservoir tank?.

have you done this yourself, so benefits re saving money on batterys and cabling  to go to hydraulic isn’t there anymore.

the vetus bow160 was installed already, has lots of bits as well installed but never used.

i was previously thinking of changing to a electric one, but the cost of having the boat lifted, £1500, plus taking out and refitting, is just as much as a pump would cost lol.

what size hydraulic BT have you got, and how much for the pump and tank etc please

very grateful for your input

col

2 hours ago, hawkesmith said:

You will need a battery at the bow to power the pump or whopping big cables running the length of your boat.

Flowfit in Ludlow are really helpful 01584876033.

Why, you can put the pump, motor and batteries anywhere you like, that is one of the advantages of hydraulics. But if you are going to power it with electrics why not just fit an electric bow thruster, it will be a lot more efficient. BTW I am not anti hydraulic as I have a hydraulic bow thruster but driven from the engine

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

Okay thanks for that, so installing batterys at Bow, also  pump at the bow as well with reservoir tank?.

have you done this yourself, so benefits re saving money on batterys and cabling  to go to hydraulic isn’t there anymore.

the vetus bow160 was installed already, has lots of bits as well installed but never used.

i was previously thinking of changing to a electric one, but the cost of having the boat lifted, £1500, plus taking out and refitting, is just as much as a pump would cost lol.

what size hydraulic BT have you got, and how much for the pump and tank etc please

col

It may be possible to remove the hydraulic motor while in the water and replace it with an electrical one. I would speak to vetus on that point

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why, you can put the pump, motor and batteries anywhere you like, that is one of the advantages of hydraulics. But if you are going to power it with electrics why not just fit an electric bow thruster, it will be a lot more efficient. BTW I am not anti hydraulic as I have a hydraulic bow thruster but driven from the engine

Hi Brian

i bought the boat with a vetus 160 Bt installed. It’s never been commissioned!

it has some other gubbins installed haven’t a clue

im about where I need it commissioned but do need a pump and tanks, haven’t a clue how much I need to pay or what to look for.

yes I would have installed a electric one, but this was fitted

any help or advice or where to get the pump and reservoir tank would be really really appreciated  re costs and where to buy

or what are the gubbins in the photos lol

col

27CC64DC-A84A-446B-AE09-2DD394A667D5.jpeg

EE130AFD-CE75-4D6F-8D0C-90A6C5774E9D.jpeg

84D48AFA-C8D1-418C-ADAD-AEDDD1A33D68.jpeg

B98A4D2E-578A-4002-A3FE-F35DBA50F902.jpeg

9F391234-FDD5-461C-8CAD-60469AC5C7BC.jpeg

Hi Brian’s that’s what I thought, but asking vetus, not have the answer yet, but yes I’ve asked that question

because this would mean a easy swap, and I would have a new hydraulic BT’s to sell.

im going to ring them up now again

col

What you have there are the left and right solenoids which require a switched electrical supply to them to energise when you want to run the thruster. The other three pipes with caps on probably run back to the engine room where the hydraulic pump would normally be situated.  My setup was put together by ARS who are now under different ownership so I cant recommend them especially as they quoted me £16 p&p + vat for a filter weighing less than half a pound.. I think you will find that a 24 volt hydraulic pump will cost as much as an electric motor for the one you have got. You need the full speck of the thruster so you know what pressure and flow is required and then buy a pump to suit. An on engine pump may be better.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What you have there are the left and right solenoids which require a switched electrical supply to them to energise when you want to run the thruster. The other three pipes with caps on probably run back to the engine room where the hydraulic pump would normally be situated.  My setup was put together by ARS who are now under different ownership so I cant recommend them especially as they quoted me £16 p&p + vat for a filter weighing less than half a pound.. I think you will find that a 24 volt hydraulic pump will cost as much as an electric motor for the one you have got. You need the full speck of the thruster so you know what pressure and flow is required and then buy a pump to suit. An on engine pump may be better.

Thankyou Brian,  if I found that the top part of BT’s can be swapped with a electric one, that be great as wouldn’t have to pay £1500 + re craning.

if I can get electric pump for hydraulic existing by, and finishing bits for a lot less that a new 160 electric BT’s I will of course of course continue with what I’ve got

col

11 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Thankyou Brian,  if I found that the top part of BT’s can be swapped with a electric one, that be great as wouldn’t have to pay £1500 + re craning.

if I can get electric pump for hydraulic existing by, and finishing bits for a lot less that a new 160 electric BT’s I will of course of course continue with what I’ve got

col

The spec is here but a Vetus pump is about £2.5K  and that is engine driven, you will need a 24 volt DC motor over 12 Hp to drive it. I can stall my boat engine if I engage the thruster on tickover   https://vetusonline.com/english/catalog/product/view/id/2480

4 hours ago, bigcol said:

col

I had a 75kgf vetus electric thruster that was fitted with a contactor which turned out to be Albright International who were very helpful in providing replacement silver contact bars when the originals burnt out as a result of chattering because of low voltage (volts drawn down by the heavy load).  Fitting a small battery up front eliminated the draw down.  Obviously the battery got charged up in parallel with the main batteries.  I had installed 150sq.mm welding cable there and back on a 57ft boat, but that was insufficient for carrying the 360A current without excessive voltage drop.  I left the cables in place and fitted the battery - fixed! 

Edited by Murflynn

Okay

yes it looks like some of you are right, just had this email back from vetus

Hello Colin

Sorry for the delay in replying.  The hydraulic motor can be relatively easily replaced with an electric, you will need:

SET0079   Motor  £1,424.17

BP117   Coupling   £155.83

Prices ex vat. You will need also bolts to hold the motor to the flange, which we do not supply.

In addition, required are power cables, batteries, controller, fuses etc to suit.

We can only advise so much remotely, the rest needs to be figured out by the engineer or yourself, but the manual covers everything.

Steve

ive managed to get a bow160 vetus bow electric thruster new, for just a little more.

so I will be changing over just the motor, and reattaching it to the new leg so will have New bow160 Hyde bow thruster for sale, not only that, all the instalation kit including this expensive joy stick lol

thankyou to all

so how much does anyone says I should sell it all for?

AA0E4161-16B0-4364-9B69-40F7C0025278.jpeg

E3066FF7-37E5-4860-B3D2-EAFC794BEFF5.jpeg

Edited by bigcol

don't you just lurv Vetus?    £618 for a switch.    :banghead:

when I needed a new contactor 10 years ago it would have been £275.  Albright confirmed they manufactured it and wanted £110, but after discussion with the nice lady on the phone they sold be the contact strips only for about £15.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let fellow posters now.

ive now managed to get a brand new x Southampton show

a electric 160 bow thruster with a remote? And cable.

soon this be fitted as the gearing is the same, ive just have to take of hydraulic head, and fit the electric one.

which means I have a new never used hydraulic bowthruster 160 with all the extras in cladding the £500 joy stick lol

you can take it off your self or can be posted very heavy will be on box and pallet

it will be a bargain for someone

offers???