Email asking me for a donation.

pete.i

Featured Posts

On 17/09/2019 at 13:31, TheBiscuits said:

Apparently you can choose to hide it.  See @pete.i's response in post #32.

Not so sure about that. Pete.j did not say he had hid it just that he was not bothered whether it showed or not. It is a management decision, not all donors get shown. From what I remember annual donations give you a little star and the word patron, regular monthly donations are just ignored as of no consequence.

Having missed this thread until now a couple of things leap to mind.

1.  Athy's posts alway (to me at least) are clear as to whether it is with his official hat on or his personal view/experience.

2.  It seems to be difficult enough to find good moderators when required, if you are going to handicap their postings by pretending every utterance is in some way special i.e. authoritative on whatever the subject, you will have even more trouble.  What a forum needs is moderators who are active posters and therefore see what is happening on the threads.

• Greenie 3

13 hours ago, jam said:

Not so sure about that. Pete.j did not say he had hid it just that he was not bothered whether it showed or not. It is a management decision, not all donors get shown. From what I remember annual donations give you a little star and the word patron, regular monthly donations are just ignored as of no consequence.

No that is not correct. The short answer is that it's due to a technlicality. The long answer is:

As of the last 18 months, we use the forum's built in shopping cart/e-commerce functionality for handling donations before the user is forwarded on to PayPal's payment gateway where pament is taken. Those who have submitted payment via the forum system (i.e. withing the last 18 months or so) will be moved to the Patron user group automatically by the forum software as soon as PayPal have notified the forum software of a successful payment.

Historically donations were not made directly via the forum software itself, but via a separate page which linked directly to PayPal. New donations are not made via this system unless the user has an active recurring subscription. Unfortunately while the donations are still gratefully received, the forum software itself doesn't know about these transactions and as such no user group changes occur. However, anyone making donations via the old legacy donation system is more than welcome to ask to be placed in the Patron user group. - We just don't do this automatically because we wish to leave this choice with the end user.  - Some users may not wish to disclose that they have made a donation.