Stop planks in above Bosley

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

As above. They are undertaking a repair which is going to be reviewed Tuesday morning. 

Water levels didn't go down over night so I don't know what there is to review. 

All the boats have moved off the long term moorings above the locks. Presume they have gone down the locks but I haven't walked that far.

At least six boats came past me at Congleton this morning heading towards the locks. Going to be a hell of a traffic jam if all the longterm boats came down, though I can't see how they can have done as their owners might live miles away. Maybe just below the top lock? 

OK, been up for a walk to have a look at the breach. Contrary to my “second hand information”, the repair is not complete. There is a hole (about 2 or 3 cubic metres). It has only been a third filled with clay. Apparently there is access problems, so the contractors are using two motorised wheelbarrows ferrying the clay from the utility block at the top of the locks. They say they should complete it tomorrow and hope to remove the stop planks late tomorrow afternoon.

As an aside, the locks are still open and boats are still ascending, so not quite sure of the reports of the permanent moorers being told to move, as their moorings will now be taken by boats awaiting the repair.

Edited by Derek Porteous

2 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

OK, been up for a walk to have a look at the breach. Contrary to my “second hand information”, the repair is not complete. There is a hole (about 2 or 3 cubic metres). It has only been a third filled with clay. Apparently there is access problems, so the contractors are using two motorised wheelbarrows ferrying the clay from the utility block at the top of the locks. They say they should complete it tomorrow and hope to remove the stop planks late tomorrow afternoon.

As an aside, the locks are still open and boats are still ascending, so not quite sure of the reports of the permanent moorers being told to move, as their moorings will now be taken by boats awaiting the repair.

Hmm... Might head for the Caldon instead, then!

We're at Bugsworth planning on passing through Macclesfield next weekend. Hope it gets fixed as I don't relish going back on the Lower Peak Forest and down through Manchester.

I was looking forward to some deeper water after the Huddersfield and PF.

1 hour ago, AndrewIC said:

Hmm... Might head for the Caldon instead, then!

Just come off the Caldon after a week or so.

Very quiet generally so easy to find places to moor,  although the towpaths are often overgrown, even on so-called visitor moorings.

Well worth the trip!

1 hour ago, dor said:

Just come off the Caldon after a week or so.

Very quiet generally so easy to find places to moor,  although the towpaths are often overgrown, even on so-called visitor moorings.

Well worth the trip!

Passed you, I think, Hunts Lock-ish. You were descending from view as we ascended.

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Praise is owed to CRT methinks.

Yes-I hope to go down them on Monday. 

If anyone is unaware there are two major stoppages on the Macclesfield through the winter one by Clarence Mill and the other by Goyt Mill. The stoppages are on the website. 

Edited by Goliath

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes-I hope to go down them on Monday. 

If anyone is unaware there are two major stoppages on the Macclesfield through the winter one by Clarence Mill and the other by Goyt Mill. The stoppages are on the website. 

I think it will be Tuesday for us.

3 hours ago, pearley said:

Any news on this? CRT said there would be in update this morning but nothing yet.

Just in:

The repair to the culvert has been more difficult than anticipated. Our engineers and contractors are continuing discussions to organise the best method for a successful repair. Whilst these discussions are ongoing, navigation will remain closed.

A further update will be provided by 5pm today.

45 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Just in:

The repair to the culvert has been more difficult than anticipated. Our engineers and contractors are continuing discussions to organise the best method for a successful repair. Whilst these discussions are ongoing, navigation will remain closed.

A further update will be provided by 5pm today.

More time working than discussing may produce a solution so that we can have our canal that we pay for back in usable condition. After 5pm when everyone has gone home so no "discussion" will be possible.

4.10 pm Thursday.

To ensure the safety of our customers, navigation will remain closed today.

We will be allowing passage through the affected area tomorrow morning.

We politely request all customers wishing to pass through the area, Bridge 52, Crowholt Bridge to Lock 11 on the Bosley Flight, to arrive promptly to ensure passage.

The stop plank will be removed from Bridge 52, Crowholt Bridge at 8am.

The team will then go to Bridge 53, Locketts Bridge to remove the second stop plank.

Whilst the team assist at the bridges, volunteers will be on the Bosley Flight unlocking the flight at 8am. Any customers wishing to go up the Bosley Flight need to be at Lock 11 when the flight opens at 8am to allow sufficient time to pass the entire area before the stop planks are reinstalled.

The local team and volunteers will remain onsite to assist with customers navigating through the area.

At 11am prompt, the stop planks will be reinstalled at Bridge 52 and Bridge 53 and the water level will be lowered to be able to carry out the repair. Padlocks will also be placed back on Locks 1 and 11 on the Bosley Flight.

Navigation will then remain closed until the repair is complete, we anticipate this will take up to 7 days. Further updates will be provided as the works go on.