Go Kart and Wheel Barrow wheels as mooring fenders

Bob692

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I tried go kart tyres about 10 years ago when I had access to Brunel University's go kart club offcasts, but I found that they compressed far too easily to really be of much use as boat fenders.

Was that on your widebeam boat Mike? Just wondering if the extra weight has an effect on them? 

7 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Was that on your widebeam boat Mike? Just wondering if the extra weight has an effect on them? 

Yes it was on my widebeam, but is a moored widebeam really exerting that much extra pressure on the fender? It might be, I really don't know?

The go kart tyres just seemed too flimsy in compression to me. I'm sure we had discussions on this forum years ago and some narrow boaters said the same thing.

But if you stuff the tyres with old rope or something then they'd be fine.

Edited by blackrose

We have wheelbarrow wheels, they work fine except that from time to time they flip up on their side so obviously reduce their effectiveness.

You see them in some chandleries for extortionate prices, we got them off ebay for about 6 pounds, they're fine.