Need boat moved Central London to P&S Marine

RiverRo

Featured Posts

Hi guys. Absolute novice here, but just bought a narrowboat in central London and need to bring her up to p&s marine for some work before shipping her to Ireland. The broker put me in touch with someone who could help move her, but the price for doing so seems very high. So the question is, if I was to fly over and move her myself, firstly would it be feasible on my own, and what would I need to know before doing so. (I’ve had a quick run through on how to start the engine already and she seems to run fine, and I’m sure i could steer fine (I’m mostly unsure of how to navigate locks!) Alternatively, could anyone recommend anyone trustworthy who would run this trip for me at a reasonable rate. Thanks in advance! 

17 minutes ago, RiverRo said:

Hi guys. Absolute novice here, but just bought a narrowboat in central London and need to bring her up to p&s marine for some work before shipping her to Ireland. The broker put me in touch with someone who could help move her, but the price for doing so seems very high. So the question is, if I was to fly over and move her myself, firstly would it be feasible on my own, and what would I need to know before doing so. (I’ve had a quick run through on how to start the engine already and she seems to run fine, and I’m sure i could steer fine (I’m mostly unsure of how to navigate locks!) Alternatively, could anyone recommend anyone trustworthy who would run this trip for me at a reasonable rate. Thanks in advance! 

Only you can know your capabilities and limitations, but if you have to ask the question it does cast some doubt on whether you would be able to do the move on your own. It would also be helpful to know a little about the boat - size, engine etc and location from and to. As Mike says if you think a quote you have is too much what do you expect to pay?

Howard

1 hour ago, howardang said:

Only you can know your capabilities and limitations, but if you have to ask the question it does cast some doubt on whether you would be able to do the move on your own. It would also be helpful to know a little about the boat - size, engine etc and location from and to. As Mike says if you think a quote you have is too much what do you expect to pay?

Howard

Like I said, I’m a complete novice, have no experience on a narrowboat apart from the short run when buying, so any starter tips would be appreciated. She’s a 52 for narrowboat, 35hp. Need it moved from King’s cross to p&s in watford. Don’t know what the going rate is but would have thought £100-£150/ day would be reasonable 

This is the kind of thing that I sometimes help people with as a hobby, not professionally. I do it on the basis that the owner is aboard, I just get food and lodging for the trip, and while I know how to steer a boat and operate locks, and do my best to assist in resolving any problems encountered, I don't have much technical knowledge and make no promises that I can fix anything. A professional boat mover will normally be able to do most simple repairs.

The bad news is that I'm too busy at the moment even to offer to do this short trip, mostly because I'm going away boating for two weeks soon. I have a small wine harvest to do soon too. But I can offer some comments which I hope are helpful:

From King's Cross to P&S Marine two days should be plenty; four locks in the first couple of miles, then the long pound of the Paddington Arm, turn right at Bulls Bridge junction, stop overnight maybe somewhere around West Drayton, and I think it's 11 locks up to Watford on day two. Plenty of room in all the locks for your boat, and my guess is the engine will have adequate power, you're not going via the river.

If you're new to canal boating it's a good idea to have someone to turn up and teach you the basics on the first day, I hope maybe someone else off the forum could offer ? If they just accompany you for the first three hours or so to Little Venice that covers the four locks and the (short) Maida Hill tunnel. But if not, I suggest you download and read the boater's guide on the CRT website, try to make sure your engine is in working order and you have basic equipment such as windlass (and spare!), lines, mooring items etc., then just go for it. If you meet other boaters at locks you'll find they're usually happy to answer questions, show you what to do, etc.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Peter X said:

This is the kind of thing that I sometimes help people with as a hobby, not professionally. I do it on the basis that the owner is aboard, I just get food and lodging for the trip, and while I know how to steer a boat and operate locks, and do my best to assist in resolving any problems encountered, I don't have much technical knowledge and make no promises that I can fix anything. A professional boat mover will normally be able to do most simple repairs.

The bad news is that I'm too busy at the moment even to offer to do this short trip, mostly because I'm going away boating for two weeks soon. I have a small wine harvest to do soon too. But I can offer some comments which I hope are helpful:

From King's Cross to P&S Marine two days should be plenty; four locks in the first couple of miles, then the long pound of the Paddington Arm, turn right at Bulls Bridge junction, stop overnight maybe somewhere around West Drayton, and I think it's 11 locks up to Watford on day two. Plenty of room in all the locks for your boat, and my guess is the engine will have adequate power, you're not going via the river.

If you're new to canal boating it's a good idea to have someone to turn up and teach you the basics on the first day, I hope maybe someone else off the forum could offer ? If they just accompany you for the first three hours or so to Little Venice that covers the four locks and the (short) Maida Hill tunnel. But if not, I suggest you download and read the boater's guide on the CRT website, try to make sure your engine is in working order and you have basic equipment such as windlass (and spare!), lines, mooring items etc., then just go for it. If you meet other boaters at locks you'll find they're usually happy to answer questions, show you what to do, etc.

Thanks for all the info Peter! Yes feel a little more confident I could do it myself after checking out the boaters guide!

48 minutes ago, RiverRo said:

Thanks for all the info Peter! Yes feel a little more confident I could do it myself after checking out the boaters guide!

If you lack experience having 2 is much better, one on the boat and one on the locks.  Holiday hire companies hire to people that never been on the canals before and though it has improved when we hired for the first time in the 70’s you got about 10mins chat, them on your own.  So whilst it helps if one of you is experienced, you will learn quickly.

All you really need is someone to offer to help you. You shouldn't have to pay if you're doing it with them. Just keep them well fed and buy them a few beers afterwards.

After doing a couple of locks together you could try one on your own with the other person just looking on and there to jump in if something is starting to go wrong.

Edited by blackrose

Insurers are generally fine so long as the owner is present, and are used to covering new owners who may have little or no boating experience, and don't specify what your crew must know. So if doing this trip with someone else as crew to assist, while it's best if they do have prior boating experience, any old friend is better than going single handed.

If you hire a professional boat mover, I think they will be qualified and have their own insurance.

As the boat has a working engine, no need to tow it, that probably would ring alarm bells with insurers! If you do have to tow it, whoever steers each boat should know what they're doing, and you should be towing on cross straps or maybe a short line between the locks most of the way.

RiverRo, I'm not sure if this will delay you, best to check before you book a flight whether the canal will be open:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16159-grand-union-regents-and-hertford-union-canals

Essentially, it appears that as of Monday 16th the long Paddington Arm pound was so short of water that the locks leading down from it, i.e. GU lock 90 (top of the Hanwell flight) and the Hampstead Road locks you need, are closed until further notice.

Does anyone have more up to date information about this closure; whether it's still so and when it's likely to end?

Thanks for the heads up Peter. I booked Giles of ‘your helmsman’ in the end, hopefully it’ll have opened up by next Monday when he’s due to move her. Have  p&s booked and road transport to Ireland a week later all lined up so fingers crossed they have it sorted soon!

3 hours ago, RiverRo said:

Thanks for the heads up Peter. I booked Giles of ‘your helmsman’ in the end, hopefully it’ll have opened up by next Monday when he’s due to move her. Have  p&s booked and road transport to Ireland a week later all lined up so fingers crossed they have it sorted soon!

What are your plans for Ireland ?   I've considered moving there but I'm not sure how welcome narrow boats would be on the rivers and lakes there

The situation is very messy at the moment , Brexit and norther Ireland issues have tied Waterways Ireland hands to be able to update bye laws, 

On canals there is only 28 current full time livaboard places (20 in dublin and 8 in Shannon harbour ) and the waiting list is longgggg, they can’t add more with out facilities and planning permission etc very long story 

there are non residential permanent moorings that legally only let you “live on the boat for 90 days a year” most livaboards have these and everything is fine they are just hoping as it seems that nothing comes of it as waterways Ireland are trying to get the system sorted to accommodate more 

On the Shannon there’s private marinas where you can live and pay a marina fee - public harbours have a 5 day rule in summer so you must keep moving , and during the winter period (1 November - 1st April) you can get a winter mooring permit in a public harbour and stay permanently

3 hours ago, KevMc said:

What are your plans for Ireland ?   I've considered moving there but I'm not sure how welcome narrow boats would be on the rivers and lakes there

Having hired in Ireland, I'm not sure I would want to cruise there for long. Our jaunt on Lough Neagh began with the issue of an A3 chart book and a pair of binoculars. It is necessary to follow a specific course between markers, and if you run aground, then it is on rock, not friendly silt. After 40 years of canal and river cruising in England, Ireland was very hard work 

17 hours ago, RiverRo said:

The situation is very messy at the moment , Brexit and norther Ireland issues have tied Waterways Ireland hands to be able to update bye laws, 

On canals there is only 28 current full time livaboard places (20 in dublin and 8 in Shannon harbour ) and the waiting list is longgggg, they can’t add more with out facilities and planning permission etc very long story 

there are non residential permanent moorings that legally only let you “live on the boat for 90 days a year” most livaboards have these and everything is fine they are just hoping as it seems that nothing comes of it as waterways Ireland are trying to get the system sorted to accommodate more 

On the Shannon there’s private marinas where you can live and pay a marina fee - public harbours have a 5 day rule in summer so you must keep moving , and during the winter period (1 November - 1st April) you can get a winter mooring permit in a public harbour and stay permanently

Doesn't sound like I'll be crossing the water with me boat in the near future then :(  .... might have to change to a sea going tub instead

16 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Having hired in Ireland, I'm not sure I would want to cruise there for long. Our jaunt on Lough Neagh began with the issue of an A3 chart book and a pair of binoculars. It is necessary to follow a specific course between markers, and if you run aground, then it is on rock, not friendly silt. After 40 years of canal and river cruising in England, Ireland was very hard work 

Sounds scary  ..... but maybe once you have got the knack maybe it could be called exciting ?

4 hours ago, KevMc said:

Doesn't sound like I'll be crossing the water with me boat in the near future then :(  .... might have to change to a sea going tub instead

Sounds scary  ..... but maybe once you have got the knack maybe it could be called exciting ?

There are plenty of hire craft, so not too scary, but ultimate concentration is needed compared with our canals, so not as relaxing.

We took our 50ft NB to Ireland and spent 2 years there. It was trucked from Calcutt to Salins on the grand canal and we wintered in Shannonharbour. Went north to Lough Erne one year and the next down the Barrow to Graignemanagh where we had great time. The big lakes can be scary in a narrowboat and it is necessary to watch the weather especially the wind strength but it’s a great country and the waterways and the Shannon lovely. As for the pubs enough said.

• Happy 1