Trojans or gel Batteries?

RufusR

Featured Posts

On 14/09/2019 at 13:54, RufusR said:

Hi all 

we have just moved to a new mooring where there is no power hook up , it’s idyllic however so worth that. Looking to add more solar and upgrade my battery bank . Currently we have 4 x 135Ah wet batteries and they are at end of life . I am looking at the following options after taking a lot of advice , 5 x 120 Ah 12 v gel Batteries or 5 x similar rated Trojans wet batteries . 

Which is best ? Advice please 

Obv wets need topping up which is a pain in my boat as there is poor access to battery bank but they are cheaper . I am leaning towards the more expensive gels at present due to dod and low maintenance 

Regards 

Simon

On 14/09/2019 at 15:21, peterboat said:

Depends what your alternator puts out. I have 36 LifePo4s on my boat so know how they work very well, and how long they last if looked after. Google Dr Bob and Moonim Papa they both have them with an alternator setup, I use pure solar as my boat is electric drive

I'm considering a Lipo as a future upgrade, as well as heading down the electric propulsion route...may I ask as someone with experience of the same, would you change anything?

• 4 weeks later...

Update : turns out I can’t fit trojans due to space / height restrictions for the watering system and without they are not practical to top up. After consulting someone in the know we are going for victron am sealed units as can fit 5 which will be more than enough power . 

Now looking at what solars to add . See separate thread