Goodbye Red Diesel?

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Paul C said:

It would take ages (or not be possible at all) if the owners weren't there to unlock the fuel cap.

Its a few years ago, but ...

I remember sitting in my office and watching HMRC breaking into a car to 'dip' his diesel.

They had come into reception and asked if the driver was available (or known) and as they couldn't identify him/her they just went ahead.

The HMRC have far, far wider powers of search and entry (without a search warrant) than the Police if they believe that there is fraud.

Looking at their current powers shown on the Gov website :

4. Powers of HMRC Officers

Our officers are allowed by law to:

• examine any vehicle and any oil in or on it and to inspect, test or sample any oil in the fuel supply
  • require vehicle owners or anyone in charge of a vehicle to open or cause to be opened the fuel tank or other source of the fuel supply so that the fuel can be located and inspected, tested or sampled - if there is anything in the supply which might hinder this, it must be removed
  • require anyone in charge of a vehicle to produce any books or documents relating to the vehicle or to oil carried on it and which are carried by that person or on the vehicle
  • enter any premises (except private dwelling houses) and inspect, test and sample any oil on the premises, whether in a vehicle or elsewhere - in entering the premises, an officer may bring with him any vehicle used for carrying out official duties
  • require the occupier of the premises or the person in charge of them to facilitate the inspection, testing or sampling of oil on their premises or oil in the fuel supply of vehicles on the premises, irrespective of whether the oil or the vehicle belongs to that person or someone else - this includes attending normally unmanned premises when our officers require access to fuel
  • require anyone concerned with the sale, purchase or disposal of any oil to produce on demand any relevant books or documents
  • require you to provide satisfactory evidence that any fuel in your possession (including in your running tank) is fully UK duty paid

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

How its going to be implemented

I expect marina diesel will be white from deliveries some time in 2020. It will immediately be tainted with red marker but that's why a transition period  is required.

I imagine there are plenty of little used boats which will still have red fuel in them for years.

I cant imagine HMRC being interested .

The only possibility of this change not happening is if we do leave the EU. However parliament seems determined to stand in the way of any attempt to leave.

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

Our nearest marina that sells red diesel is either at Thorne or castleford, 2 days journey from here and 3 from sheffield so people buy diesel from Morrisons, in our case checking marinas would be more productive and easier, and HMRC like easy

Actually, HMRC like to catch people, pour encourager les autres.

In that respect, they are far less keen on the easy life than other agencies.

Not that far from where I live, there is a quiet cul-de-sac. It is adjacent to some warden controlled housing (although the warden is now remote). The demographic is such that few of the residents have cars, and those that do park them (for reasons that will be clear) on the other side of the complex.

The cul-de-sac in question has become the haunt of drug dealers. The street lights are regularly interfered with to allow them to ply their trade unseen, and the residents at that side of the complex live in fear. The police, I regret to say, have other more important things to deal with. and do not trouble the dealers.

A couple of months ago, the dealers expanded their range. No longer do they just supply weed, cocaine and heroin. Oh no! They have started supplying..... (you may want to sit down for this)…..

Smuggled Fags!!!!

Naturally this major escalation merited a response. Within 2 days of the word getting out that people could get cheap fags from the drug dealers (who had been left unhindered for 18 months before this). HMRC and the Police swooped, and they were arrested.

58 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Not that far from where I live, there is a quiet cul-de-sac. It is adjacent to some warden controlled housing (although the warden is now remote). The demographic is such that few of the residents have cars, and those that do park them (for reasons that will be clear) on the other side of the complex.

The cul-de-sac in question has become the haunt of drug dealers. The street lights are regularly interfered with to allow them to ply their trade unseen, and the residents at that side of the complex live in fear. The police, I regret to say, have other more important things to deal with. and do not trouble the dealers.

A couple of months ago, the dealers expanded their range. No longer do they just supply weed, cocaine and heroin. Oh no! They have started supplying..... (you may want to sit down for this)…..

Smuggled Fags!!!!

Naturally this major escalation merited a response. Within 2 days of the word getting out that people could get cheap fags from the drug dealers (who had been left unhindered for 18 months before this). HMRC and the Police swooped, and they were arrested.

They do like easy though, Simon a friend of mine works for them and they are linked into ebay and other selling sites so the computer picks up things and Bobs your uncle etc. Also Jayne my tother half is a fraud investigator for DWP and the Universal credits and tax man are linked by the puter system, it makes paying the corect tax whilst on benefits easier, also easier to catch fraud as well

2 hours ago, mayalld said:

Smuggled Fags!!!!

2 hours ago, mayalld said:

Smuggled Fags!!!!

There was a program about this on Radio 4 this morning and it not only organised crime but big business with corner shops where there only real trade is smuggled fags    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001cv9

52 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I gave up fags in September 2013.

The next year I bought a bigger boat.

Was that to house all the tat that you bought because you had more money in your pocket to spend?

I too quit completely in 2013 after heart surgery but I only smoked for 4 months every year anyway so that was all right,,,,,wasn't it? Didn't buy a bigger boat but dozens of vintage radios instead!

9 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Was that to house all the tat that you bought because you had more money in your pocket to spend?

No heart surgery involved.

The chief officer said I could have bigger boat if I gave up the fags . So I gave them up - stopped just like that.

Having bought a bigger boat the amount of stuff  on the boat has increased (not all of it is tat) . 

I would like an even bigger boat but in two minds about it as I quite like the boat I already have .

On 14/09/2019 at 08:45, dmr said:

Its already being decided and forced on us by the EEC, a good example with whats wrong with the EEC. It has to be done so they can monitor type of fuel usage as narrowboats cross the various internal European borders :). The current government consultant is just about the details and exact timescale of the implementation.

...............Dave

Narrowboats already sometimes cross internal EU borders and in the future could be crossing an EU and UK border. OK, most of the boats are wide beam, but there are NB's in Ireland. This is another Northern/Republic of Ireland border issue for Brexit. What are the current rules for inland boating red diesel in the Irish Republic? If the Republic mandates white diesel and a post Brexit North stayed with Red, what about boats on the Shannon - Erne waterway that cross the border? How is their fuel use policed? Does it rely on the same fantasy technology that our actual, for real PM is insisting will work for customs inspections?

Jen

30 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Narrowboats already sometimes cross internal EU borders and in the future could be crossing an EU and UK border. OK, most of the boats are wide beam, but there are NB's in Ireland. This is another Northern/Republic of Ireland border issue for Brexit. What are the current rules for inland boating red diesel in the Irish Republic? If the Republic mandates white diesel and a post Brexit North stayed with Red, what about boats on the Shannon - Erne waterway that cross the border? How is their fuel use policed? Does it rely on the same fantasy technology that our actual, for real PM is insisting will work for customs inspections?

Jen

Not new technology, already existing, so as you cross from north to south the inspector on his occasional visit to the waterway will call out -

‘got any red in there?’ 

‘No’

’ok, carry on’

see no delay.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Not new technology, already existing, so as you cross from north to south the inspector on his occasional visit to the waterway will call out -

‘got any red in there?’ 

‘No’

’ok, carry on’

see no delay.

Green in the Irish Republic.

https://afloat.ie/sail/cruising/item/41372-prohibition-on-use-of-marked-gas-oil-on-personal-pleasure-craft

Keith

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

‘got any red in there?’ 

‘No’

’ok, carry on’

see no delay.

When he said "any red in there" are you sure he meant diesel? Where I once lived "Have you got any red" meant something very different.

3 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

It had to be green really. Orange in the North?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies