Goodbye Red Diesel?

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Its not complicated there will be a transition period then they'll enforce it - anything more than a trace of red would need to be explained.

Have you ever done the maths on how long it would take to eliminate the red from a boat tank?

If we assume a 250 litre tank, and use as an example a leisure boater who does;

• 10 weekends in the early part of the year (say 15 litres per weekend)
  • A 2 week trip in the summer (say 120 litres)
  • Another 10 weekends in the later part of the year (again 15 litres per weekend)

As a sensible chap who wants to avoid diesel bug, he fills up on returning to the marina each time, and he fills up mid-week on his 2 week cruise.

At the end of year one his tank is nearly 17% red.

It will take 2.5 years to get to 1% red (which is I suspect rather more than a "trace")

Yep I took that into account - since they can measure the percentage of the trace chemicals, therefore the percentage red, then a simple calculation as above will serve as the "explanation". I suspect those that use the engine very infrequently might be needing to explain it, much more than a regular/high user.

7 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Yep I took that into account - since they can measure the percentage of the trace chemicals, therefore the percentage red, then a simple calculation as above will serve as the "explanation". I suspect those that use the engine very infrequently might be needing to explain it, much more than a regular/high user.

Glad someone else did the maths on that I was wondering.

But keeping receipts might help??

Won’t HMRC be monitoring the retailers?  If they’re watching at all. 

and

Have any self declared splits ever been followed up by HMRC? Has anyone been ‘done’ for being dishonest?

I don’t move much and solar keeps my batteries topped when moored, so not much extra cost to me. No running engine to charge batteries. 

But the continuous cruisers who do serious miles will cop for it, (cost wise).

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Wrong Google new defender, they are an expensive beast and very good looking 

That’s just cheating!  It’s a brand new 4x4 which is using the name of the dear old Defender. 

And it’s not made in Solihull either. 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how many people completed it?

I did !

As a roving trader we are probably allowed to continue to use red, and as we almost always have stuff on display we are always potentially trading. However if we have a day when we have no intention of trading, maybe due to very bad weather, then we are required to ditch our entire tank of red and fill up with white at a moments notice, its just daft, I was a marginal Bexiteer, but stuff like this makes me 100% pro Brexit.

...............Dave

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The problem is I suppose that they have agreed for it to go already, so what is their to consult about?

How its going to be implemented

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Consultations are weak managements way of dealing with unpopular decisions.

That's a no then

54 minutes ago, jeddlad said:

I can't see HMRC dipping private boaters tanks, they don't have the staff to do it for road use (cars) so they won't have the resources to start dipping boats.

All they would have to do is say visit Mercia Marina and dip all the boats wouldnt take long, then the resulting action would be around the cut like lightning, the fines would pay for the staff, leave it say 6 months and visit another large marina and do the same again, for the most part I am sure it would achieve what HMRC wants

21 minutes ago, Paul C said:

It would take ages (or not be possible at all) if the owners weren't there to unlock the fuel cap.

Dipping tanks is old school, especially if you have a tube of white inserted in the filler neck. The modern way if there is any suspicion is to drain a sample from the fuel pump.

Just now, Paul C said:

I think once diesel becomes (much) more expensive, a few more will fit a lock; I know tons with locks already though so I suspect your sample isn't that accurate.

Do(/can) they dip lorry tanks when they are unattended?

Yes they have more power than the police, plus my sample is the 50 boats here which whilst its not a huge amount its a lot. At the end of the day they will do what they have to and people will either comply or take a chance

2 minutes ago, jam said:

Dipping tanks is old school, especially if you have a tube of white inserted in the filler neck. The modern way if there is any suspicion is to drain a sample from the fuel pump.

They have been doing this for years and know all the tricks, as you say fuel from a filter/fuel pump or some other place

The point being, I don't think HMRC are going to take on the policy of sampling boats without the owners present, so the idea of simply arriving at a marina and being able to do a mass sampling session isn't on. If they want to sample individual boats, they'd be better off setting themselves up on a canal with passing boats. But I suspect they won't bother with that (they might do it exceptionally though), instead they'll randomly visit the canalside retailers. Especially if there's only going to be a handful left, apparently.

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The point being, I don't think HMRC are going to take on the policy of sampling boats without the owners present, so the idea of simply arriving at a marina and being able to do a mass sampling session isn't on. If they want to sample individual boats, they'd be better off setting themselves up on a canal with passing boats. But I suspect they won't bother with that (they might do it exceptionally though), instead they'll randomly visit the canalside retailers. Especially if there's only going to be a handful left, apparently.

Our nearest marina that sells red diesel is either at Thorne or castleford, 2 days journey from here and 3 from sheffield so people buy diesel from Morrisons, in our case checking marinas would be more productive and easier, and HMRC like easy