Stopage at Berkhamsted, Grand Union South

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

If Facebook is to be believed, the "Police Incident" is munitions found in the caal.

Grand Union Canal Lock 52-54

Detail

From Date: 13/09/2019 20:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Police Incident

Is the towpath closed? Yes

Closest waterway: Grand Union Canal

Starts at: Lock 52, Gas 2 Lock

Ends at: Lock 54

Description

Due to an incident which is being attended to by the emergency services, the canal and towpath are currently closed between Lock 52 and Lock 54 on the Grand Union Canal.

We will provide a further update as soon as we know when the canal and towpath can re-open.

Thank you for your patience 

Update on 21/09/2019:

Canal & River Trust engineers have met with the Highways Agency and undertaken an assessment of the situation at bridge 140C.

Following this assessment the decision has been made to keep the road closure in place to prevent any further load on the bridge.

Monitoring points have been applied to the bridge and the bridge will be monitored for any change to current structural condition.

It has been assessed as safe for the navigation and towpath to be reopened

Wonder how long they plan to have the road closed. That was a busy road as I recall....

Edited by frangar

16 hours ago, frangar said:

Wonder how long they plan to have the road closed. That was a busy road as I recall....

Probably a few days while the engineers devise temporary reinforcement/support.

I suspect the total time closed will be less than if they open it now and the bridge deck falls into the cut!

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

6'10"

:icecream:

8ft is ok...gives room for historic narrowboats plus some wiggle room. Just got to find a bait to bring all the fatboats below it...maybe say there’s no limit how close they can moor to a bridgehole or stay on a water point??? 

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Probably a few days while the engineers devise temporary reinforcement/support.

I suspect the total time closed will be less than if they open it now and the bridge deck falls into the cut!

Bet it will be sorted before the Middlewich foot bridge is

45 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

6'10"

:icecream:

37 minutes ago, frangar said:

8ft is ok...gives room for historic narrowboats plus some wiggle room. Just got to find a bait to bring all the fatboats below it...maybe say there’s no limit how close they can moor to a bridgehole or stay on a water point??? 

I went for 8ft to allow for historics.