Help - my starter battery has died!

Una

Featured Posts

My son's battery has died and I'm trying to find a replacement online but he tells me his battery is only 16-17cm tall. All the ones I can find online seem to be over 20cm tall. Any advice re good starter batteries? It's a 38ft narrowboat.

17 minutes ago, Una said:

My son's battery has died and I'm trying to find a replacement online but he tells me his battery is only 16-17cm tall. All the ones I can find online seem to be over 20cm tall. Any advice re good starter batteries? It's a 38ft narrowboat.

The existing battery should have a make and type code on it, maybe on the side, that would be a good start.

Edited by Chewbacka

1 minute ago, Una said:

Yes - it's no longer available.

But the code may help to find an equivalent 

Battery height is only a problem if the new battery won’t fit in the space available, so what is the max height, length and width he can fit in his boat, obviously leaving a bit of room to manoeuvre it into position.  So long as the new battery fits in the space available and is the correct voltage and has the power to start the engine, any size battery will do.

Edited by Chewbacka

We have a small battery for Mrs Rustys Citroen Dyane , look for 2cv batteries (dunno if the capacity will suit).

This type of thing:

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/car-batteries/citroen/2cv/

or

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/063/

Or modify the box to take a bigger battery.

Edited by rusty69

It's the starter motor that seems to have run down. He had to replace a burnt out wire today. Job was done by an electrician and he moved the boat half way to his destination but, waiting for a lock, turned off the engine. Wouldn't start again.

Are you sure the battery needs replacing?

Does it just need charging?

A set of jump leads off the domestic bank would get the engine started,all things being equal (unless he can parallel the bank with an existing switch).Is the starter battery getting charged from the alternator?

What is the burnt out wire? Sounds worrying.

Edited by rusty69

No - I don't think he has anything with him to do that. It seems odd that there's nothing at all. Perhaps it's wiring rather than the battery. Might have to call out the electrician again! No sound whatsoever when he turns the ignition.

3 minutes ago, Una said:

No - I don't think he has anything with him to do that. It seems odd that there's nothing at all. Perhaps it's wiring rather than the battery. Might have to call out the electrician again! No sound whatsoever when he turns the ignition.

Yes, that is what I was driving at.It is possible the battery is good, and the wiring isn't. Without a meter, it is difficult to say. Some engines have a large multiplug that become intermittent.

If he has one, that would be a good place to start. Unplug it and plug it back in a few times.

it seems likely that the exposed cable may have resulted in the battery being drained.  As Rusty asked - has he used a jumper lead to try to start from the positive terminal of his leisure batteries?

If he is in charge of his own narrowboat I hope he has some basic technical knowledge and some basic bits of kit to allow him to do that.

5 minutes ago, Una said:

What's a multiplug?

Apparently there was a long section of exposed wire. All replaced now.

It is an electrical connector,usually a plug/socket arrangement.It will have numerous cables entering and exiting, often covered with a protective cover.

It sounds to me like the 'exposed wire' may be part of the same problem.

5 hours ago, Una said:

I think we're looking for something bigger than that. The existing one is 12V 102aH. He has limited space so the tallest we can buy is 19mm.

19mm, have a job starting a boat with that, might be ok in your torch.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rickent said:

19mm, have a job starting a boat with that, might be ok in your torch.

190mm!

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Is it a beta 43?

High chance it is the multi plug connector come loose.

Happens a lot when engineers with big boots clump around in the engine hole.

Yes - I really think it could be a case of that. My son moved the boat and all was fine until he turned off the engine. Someone had messed up at a lock and there wasn’t sufficient water to continue at the time so he stopped the engine and it wouldn’t start again. Will check the multi plug connector. Thanks for your suggestion.