Lancaster canal boat swap

cowners

Featured Posts

Hi Does anyone have a narrowboat on the Lancaster canal and fancy doing a swap for a week with ours located at Napton on the Grand union and Oxford junction?

My wife hsa fond memories as her family came from Lancaster and her gran backed onto the canal so really wants to do it and as we work we dont have the time to get ours up there.

our boat is a 60" newly painted and rebuilt engine that sleeps 7 and is under going internal work, its a 1980 build ex hire boat so has seen plenty of action and by no means a tip top boat (as yet)

if you think something might work let me know

DSC_1263.JPG

Oh yrs  near Garstang.  I have two if you fancy either a rather  small 2 brrth white cruiser or a bigger  10 berth beast and just been launched. Mite need a sleeping bag though. 

If you want the beast i will fetch you a hot brew in the morning. 

Happy for a swap ??20190827_170643.jpg.9df1f94c8dd8f85ceaa5bc80b8e6b71c.jpg

20190827_170827.jpg.ce9cfc10d5140a7eeeee6d17a47e727b.jpg

4 minutes ago, cowners said:

Hi W+T the beast would be good for us we like a bit of space! 

If you are interested we sure are

Oh dam. First sorry as the beast was a joke. Its a full on project. I thought you would of noticed by the pic the state its in. That is what The Biscuits  was talking of for a joke as a spare boat.

The smaller boat is good though. Newly rebuilt. Small though but still all you need. 

13 hours ago, cowners said:

Hi Does anyone have a narrowboat on the Lancaster canal and fancy doing a swap for a week with ours located at Napton on the Grand union and Oxford junction?

My wife hsa fond memories as her family came from Lancaster and her gran backed onto the canal so really wants to do it and as we work we dont have the time to get ours up there.

our boat is a 60" newly painted and rebuilt engine that sleeps 7 and is under going internal work, its a 1980 build ex hire boat so has seen plenty of action and by no means a tip top boat (as yet)

if you think something might work let me know

DSC_1263.JPG

Take yours! You will just fit the rufford locks at 60 foot and it’s an amazing trip. You could always split the trip..the marinas on the rufford branch are next to a station. 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Take yours! You will just fit the rufford locks at 60 foot and it’s an amazing trip. You could always split the trip..the marinas on the rufford branch are next to a station. 

We are on our way back to Napton after being on the Lancaster, my wife lived in the area for her teenage years.  

You certainly can split the trip up as we had too because of family commitments, meaning we went home twice.  We left the boat at Fetlers Wharf marina at Rufford (by railways station) and at Barton Grange marina near Garstang (bus into Preston then train).  

Rufford to Napton you could do in 12 days I would say, we are going to take a little longer though, because we can.  A couple of weeks on the Lancaster would be enough to do it thoroughly, it’s only 3 easy days end to end.  So you would basically need 3 trips of 2 weeks each fit around the Ribble crossings.

The thing about the Lancaster is that by number most of the boats are small cruisers, that never seem to be used, so the number of people with a narrowboat to swap is not that great, although you only need one of course.  

The other simple thing to do is too hire a boat on the Lancaster.  There are none of the big hire companies based there but a number of small ones, and some of the boats are shall we say rather tatty, so presumably they relatively cheap.  This is probably the most practical option if time is short.

Yes we have two weeks at most so we would have to do the move over a weekend so it would take a few attempts. Hiring is an option but it's expensive, we started with a cruiser on the Thames so cruisers aren't an issue but we now have more people and dogs as part of the family so I would like to do it with my loved ones but happy to leave the kids so could do with a lager split cabin cruiser in fact a viking with cabin at front and rear would be ideal! ? 

Always thought it wouldn't be straight forward but worth an ask you never know