captain flint

Featured Posts

My chimney won't budge. I have no doubt this is at least in part due to going under a low bridge a few months back, must have been asleep at the tiller or something, but it was high enough for the chimney proper to fit, but just too low for the rain cap, which bent backwards. I was able to get it back in place, just a little battered looking. 

But I think the chimney also got bent out of shape a bit, not very visible, but I don't think it sits as straight on the collar as it did. 

Any tips and warnings? I've heard about wrapping some rope round it about halfway up, twisting the tension with a spanner, in the hope the bottom flares a bit, making it easier, but that didn't work so far. 

I assume a few squirt of silicon lubricant are a good idea. I won't be using the fire for a few days minimum, so I should have thought that's safe enough, but does anyone disagree, or want to make other suggestions? 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, captain flint said:

My chimney won't budge. I have no doubt this is at least in part due to going under a low bridge a few months back, must have been asleep at the tiller or something, but it was high enough for the chimney proper to fit, but just too low for the rain cap, which bent backwards. I was able to get it back in place, just a little battered looking. 

But I think the chimney also got bent out of shape a bit, not very visible, but I don't think it sits as straight on the collar as it did. 

Any tips and warnings? I've heard about wrapping some rope round it about halfway up, twisting the tension with a spanner, in the hope the bottom flares a bit, making it easier, but that didn't work so far. 

I assume a few squirt of silicon lubricant are a good idea. I won't be using the fire for a few days minimum, so I should have thought that's safe enough, but does anyone disagree, or want to make other suggestions? 

Thanks! 

Just tap all around the base of the chimney with a hammer where it fits over the collar. Keep tapping to break down the rust and it will eventually lift off.

• Greenie 1

Tap the base of the chimney with a hammer or heavy bit of wood whilst jigling the top of the chimney with your spare hand.

Jus remember that the chimney fits the chimney coller and if it still fits it, then it will eventually come loose!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Just tap all around the base of the chimney with a hammer where it fits over the collar. Keep tapping to break down the rust and it will eventually lift off.

Thanks, been doing that some, will keep at it! 

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Reverse under the same bridge.................................... Got my coat.

Water's not high enough any more ?

6 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Have you tried waggling the top around to ‘walk’ the chimney up 

Hey, if it waggled round at all I'd feel like the end is in sight! 

5 minutes ago, nipper said:

Tap the base of the chimney with a hammer or heavy bit of wood whilst jigling the top of the chimney with your spare hand.

Jus remember that the chimney fits the chimney coller and if it still fits it, then it will eventually come loose!

Thanks! I'll keep at it then

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I realise I just needed to have faith and stick at it. It's now off. I might have given up earlier were it not for comments here, so it's much appreciated. I will now be able to get under Roydon bridge, plus I've taken the oppprtunity to give chimney and stove a thorough clean to boot. 

This forum rocks, I'm always amazed how fast the responses come in

Thanks again

4 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I realise I just needed to have faith and stick at it. It's now off. I might have given up earlier were it not for comments here, so it's much appreciated. I will now be able to get under Roydon bridge, plus I've taken the oppprtunity to give chimney and stove a thorough clean to boot. 

Thanks again

Mostly retired old codgers with nothing else to do, that's why.:giggles:

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Mostly retired old codgers with nothing else to do, that's why.:giggles:

Yup, that's kind of what I thought...! Very much appreciated, though, as far as I'm concerned it's time put to good use. 

Now, let's see if I manage to scrape the edges of my roof on this low, arched bridge....! 

32 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Yup, that's kind of what I thought...! Very much appreciated, though, as far as I'm concerned it's time put to good use. 

Now, let's see if I manage to scrape the edges of my roof on this low, arched bridge....! 

One side of that rail bridge is slightly higher than the other.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, captain flint said:

Thanks again

A bit like doing that with the chimney. :captain:

• 2 years later...
On 15/09/2019 at 13:54, bizzard said:

Going upstream that bridge is slightly higher on the right hand side, cos the railways gradient is slightly uphill all the way to B.Stortford more or less following the river.

I just stumbled upon this old thread looking for tips on a stuck chimney... because we're going up the Stort this week, so that's a bonus handy tip - cheers!

Stuck chimneys is a mere trifle.  I got my cast iron flue stuck in the collar.  After much faffing with hacksaw blades etc I thought it might drop down if I had the weight of the stove pulling it down so I freed the stove from its base and lifted the collar.  But that didn't work.  The flue was equally stuck in the stove, so I ended up with the stove (a Puffin) hanging by the flue from the roof.   After mature reflection I decided against using the stove in that state.   Eventually I managed to free all the parts by means of using all the rude words known to mankind and inventing a few new ones.  

I concluded that the parts I had used to assemble the stove & flue in the first place had been a bad mismatch despite having been bought from the same supplier.

17 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

I just stumbled upon this old thread looking for tips on a stuck chimney... because we're going up the Stort this week, so that's a bonus handy tip - cheers!

The lowest bridges on the Stort are Kecksyes farm railway bridge Sawbridgeworth and the road bridge over the tail end of Spelbrook lock 3.    Southmill lock 1 is from Monday 18th Oct out of use for a few days, Gate repairs.

Edited by bizzard

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

The lowest bridges on the Stort are Kecksyes farm railway bridge Sawbridgeworth and the road bridge over the tail end of Spelbrook lock 3.    Southmill lock 1 is from Monday 18th Oct out of use for a few days, Gate repairs.

Nah I think you need to check your sources, it's clearly only South Mill Lick that's closed according to CRT.

Edited by Ewan123

On 18/10/2021 at 21:39, system 4-50 said:

I concluded that the parts I had used to assemble the stove & flue in the first place had been a bad mismatch despite having been bought from the same supplier.

In stove installations, steel against steel must always be avoided. Condensation always occurs and rust literally welds parts together. Many a stove has a cracked top or other casting caused by the expansion and contraction in use.

Joints should be packed out with rope to avoid such problems.