Safe mooring advice please

Clodi

Featured Posts

My boat is currently out of the water & it's going in at Stockton top Marina on Wednesday. Cumstances dictate that I'll have to something I've never done before and leave her unattended on the towpath side for a short while.

First question does anyone know the area & is it pretty 'safe' to leave unattended or are there areas to avoid?. I'm travelling up to the Shroppie Middlewich Branch so going under the bridge where the fat-boat was stuck recently ( we have a narrow-boat btw) 

Second question using goat chain do you pad-lock to secure the vessel?

If you are heading in the direction of Warwick then I would say Long Itchington, go past the pubs and either between the two bridges or after the second bridge.

edited to add second point, between the two bridges is piling, after the second bridge is concrete, but there are some rings if there is space, otherwise it's pins.

Edited by john6767

2 hours ago, Clodi said:

My boat is currently out of the water & it's going in at Stockton top Marina on Wednesday. Cumstances dictate that I'll have to something I've never done before and leave her unattended on the towpath side for a short while.

First question does anyone know the area & is it pretty 'safe' to leave unattended or are there areas to avoid?. I'm travelling up to the Shroppie Middlewich Branch so going under the bridge where the fat-boat was stuck recently ( we have a narrow-boat btw) 

Second question using goat chain do you pad-lock to secure the vessel?

Unless you are using the goat chain differently from an y way that I have seen, it is still a means of tying the boat up by rope which cannot readily be secured by a padlock. That said, it is intrinsically better way since to unloose the boat requires going onto the boat to untie it rather than pulling out a pin and tossing it into the water with the rope still attached.

Safer spots might be where other boaters can spot any suspicious activity.   There are sometimes a lot of boats moored between Stockton Top and Ventnor Farm marinas, so somehwhere along there might be good (although one stretch is right beside the road).

If "a short while" is only a few days it might be worth asking if Kate Boats have any spare capacity on the offside or if there is space in the marina - particularly if it would be gone by their next changeover day.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Unless you are using the goat chain differently from an y way that I have seen, it is still a means of tying the boat up by rope which cannot readily be secured by a padlock. That said, it is intrinsically better way since to unloose the boat requires going onto the boat to untie it rather than pulling out a pin and tossing it into the water with the rope still attached.

Exactly, the ropes are only as secure as the knots you tie.

If you are worried about security of the ropes, then put a cable tie around the knot to secure the loose end, but only on canals.

On rivers a friendly neighbour might loosen your ropes when the river rises unexpectedly, thus preventing the boat from sinking. Obviously this easy if you have cable tied the ropes.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, john6767 said:

If you are heading in the direction of Warwick then I would say Long Itchington, go past the pubs and either between the two bridges or after the second bridge.

edited to add second point, between the two bridges is piling, after the second bridge is concrete, but there are some rings if there is space, otherwise it's pins.

and rings  

Must learn to read the post before replying

Edited by ditchcrawler

6 hours ago, Cheese said:

Safer spots might be where other boaters can spot any suspicious activity.   There are sometimes a lot of boats moored between Stockton Top and Ventnor Farm marinas, so somehwhere along there might be good (although one stretch is right beside the road).

If "a short while" is only a few days it might be worth asking if Kate Boats have any spare capacity on the offside or if there is space in the marina - particularly if it would be gone by their next changeover day.

Trouble is hospital appt then taking youngest off to start uni in York, the only definite date I have is after York.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

We have lived on and off in that area since 1987. We moor about a mile away. 

It is as safe as anywhere you can find. Long length of piling on calcutt side of boat inn bridge. Many people live/ leave boats.

never had trouble apart from one other boat a long time ago, and he is long gone.

Agree with Roland. Anywhere between the Boat in and willow wren is safe. Lots of boats always moored there. If you are heading west, then you can wind in the willow wren spur. 2 mins from the marina. Crap  4G signal though!

• Greenie 1