anyone used teamac grip paint??

crosser

Featured Posts

I've used this, it feels like a really nice (anti-slip) surface

Most anti-slip paints (or paint with added sand) tend to get very dirty and you cannot scrub them.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/paint-cleaners-care/paints/hempel-non-slip-deck-coating?variant=99319298&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=pcn&utm_term=56251&utm_campaign=MSS&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0eik7-v5EnH6yyaJS9XNCz0F8ih2diKOy9vuKrrd_s2iULRMUeS5J3AaArlmEALw_wcB

Available in various colours - this is 'light grey' painted on the anchor locker lid.

20190908_103452.jpg

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What those tests don' test is durability. 

My professionally repainted roof (back to metal) lasted 2 years. I STRONGLY suspect the painter used Teamac anti slip though I specified Craftmaster throughout.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

What those tests don' test is durability. 

My professionally repainted roof (back to metal) lasted 2 years. I STRONGLY suspect the painter used Teamac anti slip though I specified Craftmaster throughout.

I originally used "ProtectaKote" (see picture) it was extremely durable and very hard wearing but it collected 'green-mould / slime' and it could not be cleaned - toothbrush, bleach, scrubbing brush, jet wash ……………. nothing would clean it.

It is used on fire escapes etc in industrial applications and becoming widely used on offshore ships & rigs.

DON'T BUY IT !!!

IMG_1328.JPG

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Slightly off topic...

Ive just brought some Teamac bilge paint as it seems international have stopped making danboline in red and I now can’t get craftmaster easily....I will see how it goes! 

Equally off topic.

Are you aware Midland Chandlers now stock Craftmaster. Claim to stock the whole range.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Equally off topic.

Are you aware Midland Chandlers now stock Craftmaster. Claim to stock the whole range.

They only stock the gloss/raddle & undercoats...in all the colours...not the varnish/bilge paint/polish etc. Was in there yesterday hence the teamac. Slightly annoying now wharfhouse in braunston who did stock everything have gone. 

Edited by frangar

4 hours ago, frangar said:

They only stock the gloss/raddle & undercoats...in all the colours...not the varnish/bilge paint/polish etc. Was in there yesterday hence the teamac. Slightly annoying now wharfhouse in braunston who did stock everything have gone. 

Thanks for info

On 12/09/2019 at 19:16, crosser said:

thinking of using this on my deck area and wondered if anyone else has used it and if its easy to use?  thanks

Yes, I used it about 10 years ago on my bow well deck and it wasn't good. Like a lot of these paints with the aggregate already mixed in it was difficult to apply an even distribution of the aggregate even with several coats. It just made a mess of the deck.

The only one I've found that does give an even, uniform coverage is International Interdeck. Colours are limited by you can mix in a bit of polyurethane paint to darken it. I checked this with International's technical dept before darkening the light grey Interdeck with black International polyurethane gloss to get a darker battleship grey.

Has anyone had issues with International Interdeck ?  Standard international paint on roof thoroughly sanded back then red oxide primer (half ex B&Q and half Wickes) followed by a couple of coats rollered on (two or three years ago).  Now when it rains we get white, chalky runs down the blue painted cabin sides.  Can't guarantee but appears to come from the roof (where some small patches of grey are flaking off.  Puzzled!  White residue wipes off easily but its a nuisance!!

I used the Teamac anti slip deck paint on the side decks of our barge. Difficult to get the sand evenly applied and after a year it was so dirty I disked it all off. For the last many years I have used a Matt deck paint from a company called paints for trade who also do what they call barge enamel in any color you like. Good stuff and good service. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Was the red oxide primer proper solvent based paint or the water based rubbish that the DIY sheds sell these days?

The 'crew' reckons it was probably water based but it appears sound and it is only the Interdeck that is flaking in a small number of small ares eg about the size of a 13a plug.  But the streaking after rain is front to back and both sides.

3 hours ago, Opener said:

The 'crew' reckons it was probably water based but it appears sound and it is only the Interdeck that is flaking in a small number of small ares eg about the size of a 13a plug.  But the streaking after rain is front to back and both sides.

It may well be that the Interdeck simply didn’t adhere very well to the primer. Usual advice is to always use at least the same type if not the same make of primer/undercoat to top coat. 

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

It may well be that the Interdeck simply didn’t adhere very well to the primer. Usual advice is to always use at least the same type if not the same make of primer/undercoat to top coat. 

I have undercoated my side decks with Craftmaster High Build Undercoat and, having some Interdeck from a year or so ago, I was going to coat the decks with it.

The Tech notes state:

"Interdeck provides an excellent slip resistant finish. It contains a fine aggregate and will apply easily on all substrates. "

Given that the "substrate" is nicely undercoated, the intimation is that it will work fine, but now I'm wondering if the Craftmaster undercoat is the same type as the International Interdeck.

Any help welcomed.

14 hours ago, Opener said:

Has anyone had issues with International Interdeck ?  Standard international paint on roof thoroughly sanded back then red oxide primer (half ex B&Q and half Wickes) followed by a couple of coats rollered on (two or three years ago).  Now when it rains we get white, chalky runs down the blue painted cabin sides.  Can't guarantee but appears to come from the roof (where some small patches of grey are flaking off.  Puzzled!  White residue wipes off easily but its a nuisance!!

It sounds like an odd procedure that you followed. If you were painting bare metal you'd apply coats of primer, undercoats and top coats. So painting interdeck straight on top of your primer without an undercoat tie layer between could lead to interlayer bonding issues. You should also look at technical data sheets for any paint you use and pay attention to the minimum and maximum overcoating times.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

It sounds like an odd procedure that you followed. If you were painting bare metal you'd apply coats of primer, undercoats and top coats. So painting interdeck straight on top of your primer without an undercoat tie layer between could lead to interlayer bonding issues. You should also look at technical data sheets for any paint you use and pay attention to the minimum and maximum overcoating times.

This /\  /\  /\

I am just in the process of doing the same.

My Hempel paint states (for painting metal) :

3 coats of High Build Primer (5 days maximum overcoating time, or rub it down to get a key)

1 coat undercoat/light primer (30 days maximum overcoating time, or rub it down to get a key)

2-3 coats Anti-Slip Deck Paint (3 days maximum overcoating time, or rub it down to get a key)

It is also a good idea to ensure that each paint layer is compatible with the previous ones.

Hi guys . 

I've just finished the roof with the teamac anti slip .

It looks great and with the right textured roller sleeve got a good effect .

Down side is it take a lot of rollering to make it even . And  flicks absolutely everywhere ? .

I have now ordered more teamac gloss to give it an extra coat . 

Regards Greg