Restored J3 for sale

dave moore

Featured Posts

Hi all

I’ve just had a conversation with a boater wishing to sell a Kelvin J3, circa 1958. He’s had the engine from Seaward in Glasgow , where it was rebuilt, for some years, intending to have a shell built to put it in. For various reasons he now wishes to sell. If anyone is interested, please PM me and I’ll furnish contact details, the only involvement I have in this issue. Having run a similar engine for twenty years or so, I’d love to see this go to a good home. Anyone??

Dave

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd love a J3... but where would I keep it???

You could always buy another boat to put it in. ?

Are you going to get your fleet painted in the same livery?

I think Reg is beginning to pine for you.

On 12/09/2019 at 14:14, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd love a J3... but where would I keep it???

Why not "weigh in" all that old bote shaped scrap you have got and start a vintage museum?   :)

J3. Nice kit!

Edited by mark99

• 4 weeks later...

I'd want stupid money for it as it is a LOVELY enjun. Also, I paid stupid money for it and cost of removal and fitting a J3 in its place would be prohibitive. 

Why don't you track down the other K1 known to exist, NB Catkin? He's a member on here!

I did reply on the post about k1 for sale but got no reply,

Be interesting to hunt it down as a k1 is my Ideal engine if I replaced the national, I have parts of a jp2 but only bits the block was shot where a crank had brake and damaged the block behond repaired, I've also got access to a fr2 so if the national really gives up I've could get something to put in but there isnt much room in my engine room it literally is an engine room! A k1 would alow me to keep the power and get a single back in towy

29 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

A k1 would alow me to keep the power and get a single back in towy

I think you might be disappointed actually. It would shake Towy to bits I reckon. It rattled my steel shell so much at higher revs that I heavily over-prop it. I think a wooden boat wouldn't cope well and the low power available due to over-propping would mess up Towy. 

So think about it carefully if you track down the Catkin K1.

Wouldn't have thought would be much difference vibration wise than a bolly? Use the dane and shes wooden with bolly, but be it low rev engine rather than high, but I do have huge engine beds and I mean huge, + I found wooden boats absorb some of the vibration, depending wooden boat how much it would make it twist when running, the national running on one I can get a little twitch but we could get dane front and back to do alternate twisting at right rpm

You might be right I dont know hence why wanna track one down, see what there like, but it's one of the few engines to be semi light and give big power and the space,

Alot of other engines I dont like the sound,

4 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Wouldn't have thought would be much difference vibration wise than a bolly?

Well I had the two stroke hot bulb in REGINALD for a while and the difference is the K1 is a four stroke, so half the number of firing strokes, each needing to be twice as powerful.

You're welcome to come down to Wiltshire for a quick whizz up to the winding 'ole and back to try out the K1.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Stuart sold both Catkin, and the K1 to go with her to me a while back. The K1 is currently in my workshop and I'm hoping to refit it at some point, thought some of the points Mike makes are delaying this decision. However, my uncle @robkg has a mint condition ex-lighthouse K2 with marine gearbox that he could possibly be convinced to sell.

8 minutes ago, DanGoodman said:

Hi All,

Stuart sold both Catkin, and the K1 to go with her to me a while back. The K1 is currently in my workshop and I'm hoping to refit it at some point, thought some of the points Mike makes are delaying this decision. However, my uncle @robkg has a mint condition ex-lighthouse K2 with marine gearbox that he could possibly be convinced to sell.

Mike does not post here anymore, which is sad, he has a lot of boat experience.

I have driven Mikes boats, both the K1 and the K2, and the K2 really is the better engine for a narrowboat, though I think Mike felt he might not have got the prop spot on for the K1.

However the K1 did sound wonderful at tickover,

..............Dave