Problem at Denham Deep

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

According to the HSE there has been an 85% reduction since 1974.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/history/index.htm

As one who has worked in an industry greatly affected by HSE regs, (power) I am all for them. At the beginning of my career it was usual to work live on electrical equipment up to 11kV, thankfully now it is a very rare exception to work live.

I tend to agree, safety has improved vastly in my industry over the last 30 years, particularly in the powerline side, occasionally frustrating but generally for the good.

Saying that the HSE are currently trying to implement some unnecessary nonsense, so ask me in 12 months ;)

On 14/09/2019 at 22:23, Mike the Boilerman said:

How many peeps got killed or badly injured per year in canal engineering before the advent of mandatory hard hats, Vs how many after?

In construction and engineering the mandatory hard hat saved many many lives, if you do some research . 

There was or still is a big sheet of steel in Denham lock, I know because it slipped off my boat a few years ago. 

6 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

In construction and engineering the mandatory hard hat saved many many lives, if you do some research . 

There was or still is a big sheet of steel in Denham lock, I know because it slipped off my boat a few years ago. 

This is true, but there are not many falling hammers, bricks and trowels when working out in the open with no construction work going on. A watch a chap using a drain camera, wearing his hard had, Thre risk to something hitting him on the head was no greater than it was for me.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is true, but there are not many falling hammers, bricks and trowels when working out in the open with no construction work going on. A watch a chap using a drain camera, wearing his hard had, Thre risk to something hitting him on the head was no greater than it was for me.

Agreed but this is more a problem with corporate HSE policy rather than the HSE, blanket safety rules that apply across a system/company and not based on a robust risk assessment.

i personally think this approach devalues HSE and leads to people paying lip service

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Agreed but this is more a problem with corporate HSE policy rather than the HSE, blanket safety rules that apply across a system/company and not based on a robust risk assessment.

i personally think this approach devalues HSE and leads to people paying lip service

Exactly, the last company no worked for insisted that every employee likely to work on site, even in an administrative role, had to have a CSCS card.  Anyone with any other role had to wear hi viz, steel toe capped boots and hard hat whenever in a working area of the site, even if nothing was going on.

7 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Another  case of this was at St john Lock on the Thames, chap up a ladder working on the roof of the lock house wearing a lifejacket because the rules says you have to wear one when working on EA riverside sites.

Denham deep yesterday. Lock works fine however the other mitre post does seem to have a similar rot problem obvious in the second of my photos...

Of course the fact they are composite gates meant the repair was fairly straightforward.

IMG_20190917_125813.jpg

IMG_20190917_124813.jpg

Edited by magnetman