Problem at Denham Deep

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Balance beam repair seen at Camp Hill at the weekend

20190908_151038.jpg.b493fe4764964e67ed60abb20e2006af.jpg

The above 'splint' looks quite 'engineered' and very adjustable. Top marks to whoeve made it.

Contrarywise - is this something 'we' can expect to see more often on the system?

Cynics might / will say that it's avoiding a proper repair, OTOH, it makes the loc usable and avoids a short term closure.

There's another repair in the Oxford where the balance beam has been through bolted using two lengths of "Armco" type strip, but it's quite wobbly and it won't be long before the balance beam collapses.

Are both the above symptomatic failures indicating bad maintenance ghenerally, or perhaps staff doing what they can to keep a waterway open?

28 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The above 'splint' looks quite 'engineered' and very adjustable. Top marks to whoeve made it.

Contrarywise - is this something 'we' can expect to see more often on the system?

Cynics might / will say that it's avoiding a proper repair, OTOH, it makes the loc usable and avoids a short term closure.

There's another repair in the Oxford where the balance beam has been through bolted using two lengths of "Armco" type strip, but it's quite wobbly and it won't be long before the balance beam collapses.

Are both the above symptomatic failures indicating bad maintenance ghenerally, or perhaps staff doing what they can to keep a waterway open?

Indications of lack of maintenance and staff making do and mending.

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

6E9E395D-FDE5-4FC0-B86B-0E8305B710CC.jpeg

It  would be very interesting to understand what happened.

It looks like it could have easily had fatal consequences had a boat been below it at the time.

We have seen several locks in the last few weeks that don't look far from a failure.

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Claydon Bottom Lock - as described when we went through on May 1st, replaced with a new balance beam when we went back through two weeks ago.

52 minutes ago, billS said:

Claydon Bottom Lock - as described when we went through on May 1st, replaced with a new balance beam when we went back through two weeks ago.

Not for me - 'ours' was Kidlington Green Lock - so that's another one, then!

13 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

Which would you rather have----closed for weeks until a permanent repair could be fashioned, or what they did in a day? The CaRT website says the lock is open to traffic again. I reckon they did a brilliant job.

I think it's the beam falling in the lock that raises the question of safety - not the recovery or repair 

36 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Amazing that any boating activities - including by volunteers - require life jackets but a lifting operation doesn’t apparently require a hard hat.

JP

Indeed.

Yes it's great the job was done quickly but made me wince a bit. Maybe I spend too much time planning engineering operations and lift plans in a safe manner.

Edited by mark99

46 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Amazing that any boating activities - including by volunteers - require life jackets but a lifting operation doesn’t apparently require a hard hat.

JP

Whilst it is surprising, a hard hat wouldn't be much use if a balance beam is dropped on one's bonce....

34 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Whilst it is surprising, a hard hat wouldn't be much use if a balance beam is dropped on one's bonce....

Well of course not but one’s bonce is far more likely to come into contact with stuff that’s intended to be hovering at about head height, such as the load while restrained, or the jib of the crane, or the lifting chains.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

Plus the advent of all the other H&S equipment, procedures, training, etc.

According to the HSE there has been an 85% reduction since 1974.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/history/index.htm

As one who has worked in an industry greatly affected by HSE regs, (power) I am all for them. At the beginning of my career it was usual to work live on electrical equipment up to 11kV, thankfully now it is a very rare exception to work live.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification