All the things I have forgotten...

Featured Posts

On 12/09/2019 at 17:04, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

On a different forum I'm on (non-boating) posting links to ads is actively discouraged in case people put a 'what do you think of this [non-boat?]' post up just to get extra hits on their own ad. 

And sometimes prospective buyers are reluctant to place a link to an advert lest another reader spots it and gets his offer in first.

I know this boat, it was part of a hire fleet that I used to supervise. A few things to note. It will be sprayfoam insulated but may be light around some of the windows as in not very thick. This was what we called a " Troop carrier " hired out mainly to Stag and Hen parties, make of that what you will. I know the bloke who fitted it and myself can help you with how its constructed inside and how to move stuff, for instance it probably still has the crappy automatic float bilge pump type shower pumps, if it has they are situated under the bathroom sink unit and you NEED to bin them and replace with gulpers. this may seem a small point but they WILL overflow and soak yer carpets and bilge if you are not aware. It will have had frequent oil changes but will have been thrashed. The engines are fantastic as are the gearbox. The hours can only be guessed as ninety nine percent of the isuzu hour counters on the panel cease to function so that is expected. Any questions just pm me. I am in no way connected with the sale, just trying to be helpful.

Cheers.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

On 21/09/2019 at 05:40, bramley said:

I had a look on that boat when buying mine. The length really does make the difference but i settles for a boat that ticked more boxes rather than being big. 

I know what you mean. There are some very lovely new(ish) <60ft boats around.

I particularly want/need this layout as it is for (at least a while) live-aboard and the mooring is 'end on' to the pontoon so I want something reverse layout to avoid visitors having to traipse through a child's room. (Save adult feet from Lego!). As many of the menagerie are somewhat flammable I was really only looking at boats without a walk-through engine room.

Which narrows down the choice of narrowboats quite a lot!

I can assure you that, in the depths of winter, an Eberspacher will not get a 69 foot boat anything like warm.  My confidence comes from living aboard a 69 foot boat with an Eberspacher!  We invariably close down all the radiators at the rear, so as to force the heat to the forward cabin areas.  We then use our multi fuel stove to heat the aft areas. Unfortunately we could only seat our stove at the very back of the boat, and in an ideal world it should have been mid ships. I know you are not a fan of this option, but the reality is that a stove, even a small one, gives the equivalent heat of a 4kw electric fire, and you will never to be able to pull that a power off of a shoreline.  I doubt double glazing will help too much, as heat loss will just find the path of least resistance, on a boat there are many spots (including those mushroom vents) that will happily let all your precious heat out, all day, and especially night, long.

like you, we striped births out to make extra living, and storage space.  We also took one of two showers (but not the loo) out to create a laundry area.  I appreciate what you are saying about using a laundrette, but try it for three months and review your plan!

hope this helps your thinking?

It does - thank you!

In terms of the laundrette thing it isn't a high street one - it is in a little building on the pontoons so I'm hopeful on that. I'll probably run out of money for doing it now so haven't looked into it seriously but did think to swap one shower for a mini-bath/high sided sit-shower though - to wash children and filthmuts in with reduced splashing - as you're right I won't need two.

You, and others, have confirmed it is right to be less hopeful on not needing secondary heating of some description... How many times do (quite flammable) filthmuts and children burn themselves on stoves before they learn? I think it could be a right mess with ash, fire guards etc. There is a Facebook group for people with babies on boats and I know some with teens. But it is the 'self-propelled but not yet Darwin-aware' age range I'm worried about...

• Greenie 1

Thats what fire guards were invented for. A less messy alternative to a coal or woodburning stove is a diesel drip stove, but they are more expensive to buy and run.

https://www.blackcountrymetalworks.co.uk/simplistic-black-fire-guard.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwt5zsBRD8ARIsAJfI4BjsFIJEE5RpjKb-DYzre18v7LJvT1sEZ4b3cuDB_Wb-bZJnWWMwJq4aAp7BEALw_wcB

https://lockgate.com/

Edited by cuthound
To add link for stove

7 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

It does - thank you!

In terms of the laundrette thing it isn't a high street one - it is in a little building on the pontoons so I'm hopeful on that. I'll probably run out of money for doing it now so haven't looked into it seriously but did think to swap one shower for a mini-bath/high sided sit-shower though - to wash children and filthmuts in with reduced splashing - as you're right I won't need two.

You, and others, have confirmed it is right to be less hopeful on not needing secondary heating of some description... How many times do (quite flammable) filthmuts and children burn themselves on stoves before they learn? I think it could be a right mess with ash, fire guards etc. There is a Facebook group for people with babies on boats and I know some with teens. But it is the 'self-propelled but not yet Darwin-aware' age range I'm worried about...

Nearly everyone over the age of 60 was brought up with an open fire. Kids on a boat, what about if they fall in the water. Lots of house dwellers wont have a garden pond incase the kids or grand kids drown

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Nearly everyone over the age of 60 was brought up with an open fire. Kids on a boat, what about if they fall in the water. Lots of house dwellers wont have a garden pond incase the kids or grand kids drown

I grew up with one myself...

For the falling-in aspect of things smaller menagerie members have been kitted out with life vests and made to practice swimming in them!