Jump to content

Leeds to York cruise - any considerations needed?


NB Caelmiri

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

 

Waiting until after Crick Virtual Boat Show before buying VHF radio, hopefully there may be a few deals. I am now looking at https://icomuk.co.uk/IC-M25Euro/Handheld-VHF-Marine-Radio

 

From people posts I recognize some boaters choose not to take up a VHF licence. I found this link with a sample online course 

https://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/events/rya-online-vhf-radio-course/

 

I have learnt River Ouse uses channel 9 & 74 - River Thames 17 - Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, Sharpness Port 13.

Ribble Link and Weaver Navigation use phone numbers for the locks. 

 

Are you aware of any other Rivers that narrowboats can cruise on that use VHF Radio channels for Locks and Bridges ? 

 

 

Goole Docks use channel 14.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

 

Waiting until after Crick Virtual Boat Show before buying VHF radio, hopefully there may be a few deals. I am now looking at https://icomuk.co.uk/IC-M25Euro/Handheld-VHF-Marine-Radio

 

From people posts I recognize some boaters choose not to take up a VHF licence. I found this link with a sample online course 

https://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/events/rya-online-vhf-radio-course/

 

I have learnt River Ouse uses channel 9 & 74 - River Thames 17 - Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, Sharpness Port 13.

Ribble Link and Weaver Navigation use phone numbers for the locks. 

 

Are you aware of any other Rivers that narrowboats can cruise on that use VHF Radio channels for Locks and Bridges ? 

 

 

The river Severn locks use VHF. It is only 3 bridges on the G&S that have VHF.  
 

Personally I have used VHF on the Severn, G&S, Trent and Ouse.  I found out after we went through it, that the lock on the New Junction canal has VHF, I wish I had know as the lock keeper was fast asleep and he took some rousing!  A call on VHF would have woken him I hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, john6767 said:

  I had know as the lock keeper was fast asleep and he took some rousing!  A call on VHF would have woken him I hope.

Had one like that on the G&S, had to bang on his window

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

 

Waiting until after Crick Virtual Boat Show before buying VHF radio, hopefully there may be a few deals. I am now looking at https://icomuk.co.uk/IC-M25Euro/Handheld-VHF-Marine-Radio

 

From people posts I recognize some boaters choose not to take up a VHF licence. I found this link with a sample online course 

https://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/events/rya-online-vhf-radio-course/

 

I have learnt River Ouse uses channel 9 & 74 - River Thames 17 - Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, Sharpness Port 13.

Ribble Link and Weaver Navigation use phone numbers for the locks. 

 

Are you aware of any other Rivers that narrowboats can cruise on that use VHF Radio channels for Locks and Bridges ? 

 

 

There's quite a useful list in the IWA guidance note (second link below).  It is a bit out of date - eg Salters Lode and Denver have not used VHF for at least ten years - but it's a good starting point.  I am a big fan of marine VHF on busy rivers eg the tidal Thames.

https://www.waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/using-vhf-radio

https://www.waterways.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/vhf_guidance.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Going to the IWA Wakefiedl National Rally we went round Trent Falls on the way there, some pictures here. sorry not captioned:  

 

Yorkshire 1992 - Timlewis (smugmug.com)

 

A very nice photographic record, there are some BIG boats on those waters but it looks like you had a good day for it,it can get a bit lumpy around there.

 

What happened to the one  being towed ?

 

 

127 Trent Falls To Naburn 23rs August 1992.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

A very nice photographic record, there are some BIG boats on those waters but it looks like you had a good day for it,it can get a bit lumpy around there.

 

What happened to the one  being towed ?

 

 

 

 

I assume that it had broken down at some point,  I struggle to remember what I did last week let alone stuff from 29 years ago!!   

 

The convoy had been organised by Strawberry Island boat club, British Waterways anchored a crane barge at Trent Falls which we tied onto waiting for the ebb tide. The one thing I do remember was that as soon as we tied up the air was instantly full of the smell of frying bacon as people cooked there breakfast ?

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Happy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All, really helpful stuff being posted, thanks.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

We are enjoying watching these videos , which are giving us a flavour of what we will see on the River Ouse and River Trent  https://www.youtube.com/c/MinimalList/playlists

 

We learnt about the Propeller Challenge through watching the videos which we plan to adopt for fun  https://www.waterways.org.uk/waterways/using-the-waterways/silver-propeller-challenge

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Great photos 

 

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Re, I would recommend getting the Boating Association publication for cruising the tidal Ouse before making this trip if you don't already have it. 

 

I have been unable to find a book but I am guessing buying the set of three charts should cover our journey on River Trent and River Ouse? https://theboatingassociation.co.uk/index.php/store/#!/Publications/c/2703498

 

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Re: There's quite a useful list in the IWA guidance note (second link below).  It is a bit out of date - eg Salters Lode and Denver have not used VHF for at least ten years - but it's a good starting point.  I am a big fan of marine VHF on busy rivers eg the tidal Thames. 
https://www.waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/using-vhf-radio


Via the Waterways website I found the announcement of Red Diesel which I had missed ?

https://www.waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/red-diesel-budget-announcement-is-a-win-for-boaters

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Re, I would recommend getting the Boating Association publication for cruising the tidal Ouse before making this trip if you don't already have it. 

 

I have been unable to find a book but I am guessing buying the set of three charts should cover our journey on River Trent and River Ouse? https://theboatingassociation.co.uk/index.php/store/#!/Publications/c/2703498

 

Charts are necessary, but only give you a one dimensional view, unless you can learn from others experiences the notations on the charts may not be much help to you.

 

Try and find the information from the Boating Association as it will give you much more useful information than the charts.

 

 

The charts themselves are pretty 'sparse' on information to a novice. Having the more detailed information that converts the 'paper picture' to actual things you need to do is a huge help.

 

Do you know the difference between the notation 2.2 and 2.2 on the charts ?

The number underscored is the drying height (how much land is showing) when the tide is out, the number without the underscore is the depth of water at the lowest astronomical tide (Chart Datum)

At high tide you could have 1 metre water depth over the sand bank, and as the tide falls, the water gets shallower and shallower until it becomes 'dry land'. It is vitally important that you stay in the buoyed channel.

 

Example :

 

River Trent at the bottom of the chart, coming up and joining the Ouse and Trent Falls

 

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot (225).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Steve. Yes the charts on the boating association link you posted are what I meant. Although they're not really charts like Alan just posted. They have all the information you will need. Contact numbers, vhf radio channels, routes to take on the river with clear pictures, hazards, predicted cruising times etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Kieron G said:

Yes great pictures. I like the proper old fashioned looking lighthouse at trent falls

Yes I have gone from goole to York and back and from goole to keadby and back, also from Hull to goole and back, it's all big water stuff and we were in a 67 16.5 ex petrol tanker so relatively easy with it's big engine. We sat at trent falls and had a BBQ on deck both times lovely place as long as the weather is nice.

Currently its the only way to go from Sheffield to castleford for us as the aire and Calder is closed for the foreseeable future 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The current state of the Aire and Calder is a whole separate subject which I need to get up to speed on. Have seen the work going on near East Cowick and the pilings collapsing in at Pollington. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2021 at 21:46, Kieron G said:

Hi Steve. Yes the charts on the boating association link you posted are what I meant. Although they're not really charts like Alan just posted. They have all the information you will need. Contact numbers, vhf radio channels, routes to take on the river with clear pictures, hazards, predicted cruising times etc. 

Purchased the charts which are very informative. Set of three for £25.00. 

 

Looking at information online and CRT website. It has been recommended to have landlines 30 foot in length for River Trent and River Ouse. 

 

For the boaters who have traveled on these rivers is this your experience?

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Looking at information online and CRT website. It has been recommended to have landlines 30 foot in length for River Trent

 

Assuming there are two of you aboard, those will be OK for the Trent Locks that have sliders, but for the likes of Newark lock where the line needs to go up from the boat. round the bollard and back down to the boat I'd suggest 50ft or even 60ft would be better. The bollards will not be exactly aligned with your boat (irrespective of what length it is) and it is better to have too much than not enough.

Even with sliders you may find that your boat length doesnt align with the sliders and whilst your stern line is OK your bow line may not reach - 15 foot  is not very far away.

I remember first time on the River Weaver, I had to tie two lines together to be able to go up to the bollards and back down - never happened again.

 

 

You can see the sliders (Blue sleeve over steel wires) in the Cromwell lock.

You do not need to be 'held tightly' going 'down' but going up you need your lines to be at the correct angles or you will thrash about, and once the bow gets away from the wall you have little chance of holding it.

 

 

Cromwell Lock © Graham Horn :: Geograph Britain and Ireland

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done many of those locks single-handed and usually stand on the roof with the centre rope looped around a slider or around a bollard if no sliders. I don't think my ropes are particularly long. My centre rope is the longest at about 27ft (half 57ft less 2ft to avoid the prop)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

I've done many of those locks single-handed and usually stand on the roof with the centre rope looped around a slider or around a bollard if no sliders. I don't think my ropes are particularly long. My centre rope is the longest at about 27ft (half 57ft less 2ft to avoid the prop)

As Alan indicated in previous post, I think you were fortunate to get away with it in certain locks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

As Alan indicated in previous post, I think you were fortunate to get away with it in certain locks

 The harder I hang on the more fortunate I get

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

Yes

But, as it was almost 2 years ago I guess by now he either made it or he didn't.

 

 

 

Yorkshire Ouse Tidal patterns.jpg

Yes, he almost certainly made it or he didn't. We are planning a trip from Goole to Keadby sometime soon so I will find it useful. Thanks.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 06/04/2021 at 08:21, Steve Manc said:

Purchased the charts which are very informative. Set of three for £25.00. 

 

Looking at information online and CRT website. It has been recommended to have landlines 30 foot in length for River Trent and River Ouse. 

 

For the boaters who have traveled on these rivers is this your experience?

 

Thanks

Due to Selby Canal bridge and Google not being open in May, June and early July we didn't travel up to York via the River Ouse. We did travel down to Lincoln and Nottingham from Keadby Lock on the River Trent. Lock Keepers let us out on a high tide which on both occasions were in our favour. We followed the  boating association charts, set of 3 for £35, they were very helpful. Very easy to follow and highly recommend. We purchased extra ropes as recommend and didn't need them. They are still in their packaging. Hopefully come in handy for the Thames should we get their 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.