Replacement stern tube

Slim

Featured Posts

Once the old tube has been removed from the threaded boss on the stern post you might find the thread in it rusted and corroded. If the threads in it look really wasted away it will need to be replaced. If the threads look ok it is imperative that the threads in it are cleaned out properly with small rotating wire brush in a drill or an L shaped pointed scraper run around and around the thread, loose rust blown out with compressed air or brushed out with a tooth brush. Failier to do this may result in the new brass tubes thread being torn and ruined and it would probably not screw fully home anyway unless the afore mentioned boss thread is seen to as above.

• Greenie 2

54 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Once the old tube has been removed from the threaded boss on the stern post you might find the thread in it rusted and corroded. If the threads in it look really wasted away it will need to be replaced. If the threads look ok it is imperative that the threads in it are cleaned out properly with small rotating wire brush in a drill or an L shaped pointed scraper run around and around the thread, loose rust blown out with compressed air or brushed out with a tooth brush. Failier to do this may result in the new brass tubes thread being torn and ruined and it would probably not screw fully home anyway unless the afore mentioned boss thread is seen to as above.

Very good advice.

Steam pipe jointing compound,  Red "Stag"  is best.  Blue Hylomar is loved by Rolls Royce.

Thanks for the comments and ad?vi?ce. Obviously until I get the old tube out I can't assess the boss's condition. All I know ar rhis stage is that there is no sign of rust where the present tube enters the boss. I've got a small wire brush  for the drill and a dremel with small wire wheels. Left the electric toothbrush at home so I'll have to go manual with that. Forget the name of the thread sealing compound I've got (it's brown in a tin with a brush in the lid. If I need a new boss so be it but how the hell do you cut out the old one. Any work I can't do Richard, who owns the slip will be able to do (I hope).

Thanks for the advice and ignore the misplaced smilies

Any ideas where I could get ' Red Stag' in the general area of Banbury tomorrow?

Just checked, the stuff I've got is Heldite. Suitable ?

Edited by Slim