Castle Gardens Moorings (Leicester)

Big Bob W

Featured Posts

We recently spent a night at Castle Gardens. To be honest we were a little apprehensive about staying right in the city centre, but these proved to be excellent.

They are on floating pontoons on the offside. Probably room for 4 boat lengths. 48 Hr Max. You can access the city via a locked (CRT key) gate which takes you in to Castle Gardens. Very safe.

There are wheelie bins for rubbish on the pontoons provided by Leicester City Council.

Considering the location, it was surprisingly quiet at night, although we were there mid-week.

Leics.jpg

Used to be a hidden secret, a few more know about them nowadays. 

Its not just the moorings which are locked, it's the entire park as well at dusk, my daughter and friends had a whale of a  time playing hide and seek a few years ago.

Just through king richards bridge are a new set of locked off secure moorings with water and leccy available as well.

These can be hit or miss with availability, I have stayed on these with no issues with a nice walk in the gardens and easy access to the city. I have also stayed on the the opposite bank when these have been full and once again no problems even with more pedestrians walking by they were still quiet with no trouble.  Both times I was told to avoid staying in the city centre by boats that I met on the way and both times I had a safe stay.

Edited by PD1964

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Used to be a hidden secret, a few more know about them nowadays. 

Its not just the moorings which are locked, it's the entire park as well at dusk, my daughter and friends had a whale of a  time playing hide and seek a few years ago.

Just through king richards bridge are a new set of locked off secure moorings with water and leccy available as well.

The new friars mill moorings have water but not electric...although the bollards are there they aren’t connected. Great mooring tho...used it a few months ago. 

1 hour ago, Big Bob W said:

There are wheelie bins for rubbish on the pontoons provided by Leicester City Council.

Which were home, or at least larder, to a large population of rats when last I moored there. They were no bother to be fair, but a change of wheelie bins now and again when the holes appear wouldn't go amiss. Good spot to moor though, and I'd do so again. 

51 minutes ago, frangar said:

The new friars mill moorings have water but not electric...although the bollards are there they aren’t connected. Great mooring tho...used it a few months ago. 

And even if were connected they are Smart metered so only available to those who have a MeterMacs account.

• 2 weeks later...

I found these moorings and Friars Mill full so moored on the newer pontoons underneath bridge 8 just opposite Abbey Park. There was no proper access when I was there in August but there was a convienient gap in the fence. Great location for the Space Centre and the Waterworks. Anyone know what the story of these mooring is, as there were no signs to indicate if they are visitor or private?