60 guard iron? Looking for rubbing strakes.

DHutch

Featured Posts

We are looking for some 60mm guard irons to add additional rubbing strakes to the bow, most are 50mm (2" x 1/2 ") but I want to match what is there currently if at all possible.

Any thoughts ideas welcome, only need around 6m of the stuff. 

Thanks

Screenshot_20190911-085420_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by DHutch
Image added

7 minutes ago, DHutch said:

We are looking for some 60mm guard irons to add additional rubbing strakes to the bow, most are 50mm (2" x 1/2 ") but I want to match what is there currently if at all possible.

Any thoughts ideas welcome, only need around 6m of the stuff. 

Thanks

Member Kedian will probably be able to help.  http://www.kedianengineering.co.uk/contact-us.html

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

Making some phonecalls and getting some leads, but as yet nothing firm has materialised. 

We're on drydock next week, so if it comes to it we will have to used 50x12 and accept it will be slightly different. 

Daniel

Streethay might have it, they do boat stretching.  01543 414808

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

Good leads.

Martin recommendations AJ Steel Stockholders, in Rugby, and or continue searching online for  Convex steel bar.

Streethay recommend Tamworth Steel as their local stockholders. The chase continues.

Daniel

Steelsales do 60mm x 16mm.  http://www.steelsales.co.uk/steel-bar/convex-half-round/#3

• 3 weeks later...

Well it might have ended up being a blessing is disguise that although I got various leads of people who might have some but didn't, and confirmation that if I wanted 10 ton rolling it shouldnt be an issue, I ended up drawing a blank and we ordered 2x6m of 50x12 from FH Brundels.

Got to the boat, and in areas where you can make out the edges through the paint, weld, and mastic on the lower faces, it was ruddy 50mm all along. Good measuring from my father there! Sigh. Photos for anyone interested.

Welding courtesy of Keir Baxter, arranged by Mike Carter and Rebekah Parrot at Northwich Drydock, and very nice it was too!

Fire watch was exactly as you would want it to be, very boring, just a slightly wisp of smoke and we burnt off the paint and shrunk back the flame retardant polystyrene sheet.

Over to pictures!

20190925_113301.jpg20190925_130540.jpg20190925_120113.jpg20190925_121153.jpg20190925_141253.jpg20190925_151514.jpg20190925_151522.jpg20190925_181607.jpg

20190925_185550.jpg

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

Yours is definitely welded on better than ours is, as we discovered today.

MP.

IMG_20191009_143311268.jpg

Looking at the cabin side....what did you hit!!!!

50 minutes ago, Bee said:

Wish my welding was that neat - am jealous.

That is rather good isnybit.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Looking at the cabin side....what did you hit!!!!

That's old wounds from trips on rivers. Lock landing and suchlike with high, deep overhangs that can go over the gunwhale and scratch the cabin side. The Nene has a few, and so does the Thames. The EA  are rebuilding lots of lock landings on the Nene to a standard design with exactly this problem. The guys building them know, but the people in charge won't listen.

What we hit was this, but it wasn't bent out so far when we hit it, obviously. Steel strip with unsecured end in the upstream approach to Willeymoor lock on the Llangollen. The bywashes are running really fast at the moment and I was going out fast to get past the bywash, but not fast enough and got pulled sideways into it. The end snagged on the rubbing strake and popped it off and went behind and everything stopped suddenly!

Hitting the end with a the mooring hammer bent it about halfway back, and it's well with the line of the sides, but it's still making me feel a bit nervous. Will need heat to go right back I think. If I can't get it sorted soon, will take an angle grinder to it and remove completely for now.

MP.

IMG_20191009_143318178.jpg

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

That's old wounds from trips on rivers. Lock landing and suchlike with high, deep overhangs that can go over the gunwhale and scratch the cabin side. The Nene has a few, and so does the Thames. The EA  are rebuilding lots of lock landings on the Nene to a standard design with exactly this problem. The guys building them know, but the people in charge won't listen.

What we hit was this, but it wasn't bent out so far when we hit it, obviously. Steel strip with unsecured end in the upstream approach to Willeymoor lock on the Llangollen. The bywashes are running really fast at the moment and I was going out fast to get past the bywash, but not fast enough and got pulled sideways into it. The end snagged on the rubbing strake and popped it off and went behind and everything stopped suddenly!

Hitting the end with a the mooring hammer bent it about halfway back, and it's well with the line of the sides, but it's still making me feel a bit nervous. Will need heat to go right back I think. If I can't get it sorted soon, will take an angle grinder to it and remove completely for now.

MP.

IMG_20191009_143318178.jpg

OUCH!!

Yes, heat and bending, welding as it goes, however, if you are cutting it off, probably easier to weld a brand new bit on properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch indeed! I've done a brass skin fitting in basically exactly the same thing, in the same canal at Wrenbury lift bridge. Hell of a bang, nearly stoped the boat, no more sink waste pipe! Sod to replace, only one we've had go in 28 years. 

Daniel