Visiting Ely and Cambridge

Brian King

Featured Posts

We are planning on taking our boat to Ely and Cambridge next year leaving the Grand Union at Gayton Junction.  We are worried about a number of items which I would appreciate any information please.

How strong is the current on the river Nene and other rivers?  We have a 30 hp Beta marine engine and struggled up to the Avon in August going up to Stratford upon Avon with a max speed of less than 1 mph for a long time

How do I identify where the mooring points are and also service points?  Do these need booking beforehand?  

Once I leave Peterborough am I committed to travel non stop to Ely?

Are there any time restrictions on travelling these waterways?  Are they subject to tidal restrictions?

No doubt there are more questions and any general information will be appreciated

The current strength will be dependent of the amount of rainfall.

We cope fine in normal conditions with a 36Hp in a 70 foot boat

Worth joining FOTRN for the Nene, and GOBA on the Gt Ouse.

http://www.friendsoftherivernene.co.uk/

https://www.goba.org.uk/

You will need to ring Stanground lock at least 24 Hrs prior to arrival to gain access to the Middle Level.

Also worth contacting Salters Lode lock keeper prior to arrival to do the short tidal hop between there and Denver Sluice.

No, you do not have to travel non stop to Ely, plenty of mooring on the Middle Level, e.g Whittlesey and March etc, as well as numerous places on the great Ouse.

Search the forum, as there is info about windlass and key requirements.

Edited by rusty69
To include links

I am presently at Peterborough, heading onto the middle level tomorrow. 

There's quite a few pleasant moorings between Gayton Junction and here, no booking required. Some nice spots for rough mooring against the river bank as well, but most of this river seems to have a growth of reeds a few feet deep either side so you have to do a bit of searching for somewhere to pull over if it's not an official mooring. 

The current on the river over the last couple of weeks has been pretty much non existent, but of course this can change quickly. 

12 hours ago, Brian King said:

Certainly not. There are staithes (moorings) at March (very convenient for the town centre), Upwell (convenient for pub/restaurant, butcher's, mini-market), Outwell basin (convenient for shops, fish & chips and a rather grubby-looking pub which I've never been in) and, I think, Nordelph (convenient for, er, stopping). The Globe pub at Upwell has a mooring, though for only one boat. But note that the only free sanny station on the Middle Level is at March, immediately before the town bridge as you come in from P'bo.

Edited by Athy

14 hours ago, Brian King said:

We are planning on taking our boat to Ely and Cambridge next year leaving the Grand Union at Gayton Junction.  We are worried about a number of items which I would appreciate any information please.

How strong is the current on the river Nene and other rivers?  We have a 30 hp Beta marine engine and struggled up to the Avon in August going up to Stratford upon Avon with a max speed of less than 1 mph for a long time

We've some up the Nene over the past week, and it's difficult to see which direction is upstream. The Nene can be fierce, but  at the moment it's fine. It's also not too weedy, which is the main possible problem at this time of year.

How do I identify where the mooring points are and also service points?  Do these need booking beforehand?  

Join Friends of the River Nene for access to their moorings, get a copy of the EA Nene map, which shows its moorings,

No. there are moorings on the Middle Level  (Athy listed them) and moorings on the Ely Ouse, at least at Denver, Ten mile bank, The Ship Inn and two or three others from there to Ely. Mooring in Ely is nice, but crowded. Join GOBA for more moorings.

Are there any time restrictions on travelling these waterways?  Are they subject to tidal restrictions?

You need to book Stanground lock in Peterborough 24 hrs in advance. Salters Lode to Denver is tidal, Talk to Paul in advance, or turn up and expect to wait up to 24 hours for the next tide. The tidal trip is half a mile, and not arduous.

No doubt there are more questions and any general information will be appreciated

Lovely waterways. Enjoy!

MP.

If you don’t already have guide books, though getting a bit dated now, the Imray guides for The River Great Ouse and tributaries and Fenland Waterways have some useful information.

Read up on the usage of the locks. On the Nene and River Great Ouse, they are operated differently, not in the same way as on canals. 

I have recently found visitors to the rivers leaving the locks in the incorrect state.

2 hours ago, Kawayuppie said:

If you don’t already have guide books, though getting a bit dated now, the Imray guides for The River Great Ouse and tributaries and Fenland Waterways have some useful information.

Read up on the usage of the locks. On the Nene and River Great Ouse, they are operated differently, not in the same way as on canals. 

I have recently found visitors to the rivers leaving the locks in the incorrect state.

.....which is always to leave the bottom guillotine up (open) whether going up or down (might as well tell him now).

You will need an EA key for the Nene locks (obtainable at Gayton ) and a Middle Level windlass and key (obtainable at Stanground).

33 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

.....which is always to leave the bottom guillotine up (open) whether going up or down (might as well tell him now).

but only on the Nene. On the Ouse you leave the exit gate(s) open, but all paddles (called "slackers" therabouts) closed.

MP.

14 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

but only on the Nene. On the Ouse you leave the exit gate(s) open, but all paddles (called "slackers" therabouts) closed.

MP.

Thank you for confirming that - thought I'd been doing it wrong for the last couple of weeks !!

Ely - only place I've found that strictly enforce the 48hr mooring rule. River inspector there morning and afternoon taking note of who is there. This is due to p*sstakers before apparantly who would just moor in the middle of town and hog the best spots.

8 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Thank you for confirming that - thought I'd been doing it wrong for the last couple of weeks !!

Ely - only place I've found that strictly enforce the 48hr mooring rule. River inspector there morning and afternoon taking note of who is there. This is due to p*sstakers before apparantly who would just moor in the middle of town and hog the best spots.

Yes it was due to pisstakers and Ely and EA decided to ask local boaters what they wanted.........  a referendum no less . We all filled in on line and the sensible option was chosen.

I believe a number of boats headed out to the Middle Levels in search of free moorings and all the other stuff we pay for. Their reprieve was short lived.

Phil