Cancellation Of Boat Licence

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I'm "Off".

I have today called C&RT and cancelled my licence - all sorted over the phone and very easy. Very happy with the service.

Subsequently received an email regarding the refund for the balance of the year :

"A refund for £223.50 will be processed for you shortly. We are experiencing very high volumes of refund requests which is causing processing delays, however your refund will be processed as soon as possible. If you have any questions about this refund, or any other licensing matters, please get in touch with us".

I wonder why so many are leaving the canals / rivers ?

I suspect it's just an excuse for delay, like when you ring your insurance company and get a message "we are experiencing a high volume of calls...". Basically, it means they can't be bothered to employ enough staff in case it cuts down the size of the director's bonus. 

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It could also be the number of boats being put on brokerage trade plates, all the brokerages seem to be adding boats in large numbers in the last few weeks.

Price crash on the cards then? About time, let a few more people on the water.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Several boats have 'gone up for sale' in our Marina.

One of them was one of our old boats which we sold 4 years ago.

It has not moved (I don't think the engine has even been started) since she bought it - and within 1 week, she sold it for virtually the same as she paid for it.

We sold it for £5k  more than we paid for it 2 years earlier.

Good boats at reasonable prices will continue to sell well.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

How does that work then? 

For every boat sold and a new boater on the water, another boater (i.e. the seller) must have hung up his windlass and left the water, I reckon. 

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How does that work then? 

For every boat sold and a new boater on the water, another boater (i.e. the seller) must have hung up his windlass and left the water, I reckon. 

I disagree. Cheaper price means more affordable to people who previously couldnt afford one, hence manufacturing and sales rise.

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm "Off".

I have today called C&RT and cancelled my licence - all sorted over the phone and very easy. Very happy with the service.

Subsequently received an email regarding the refund for the balance of the year :

"A refund for £223.50 will be processed for you shortly. We are experiencing very high volumes of refund requests which is causing processing delays, however your refund will be processed as soon as possible. If you have any questions about this refund, or any other licensing matters, please get in touch with us".

I wonder why so many are leaving the canals / rivers ?

We cancelled our licence last week. We got the same reply as you but the money was back in our account within a couple of days.

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

They'll still sell quickly at a reasonable price - it will just be a lower one!

I reckon I'd get what I paid for it. Boat value's stayed the same, the pound hasn't! When it finally goes, as long as I get enough to buy a small yoghurt pot I'll be happy. 

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I disagree. Cheaper price means more affordable to people who previously couldnt afford one, hence manufacturing and sales rise.

Cheaper NEW boats might mean that. Also means no money in building so new boat manufacturing reduces below current levels. 

20 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I suspect it's just an excuse for delay, like when you ring your insurance company and get a message "we are experiencing a high volume of calls...". Basically, it means they can't be bothered to employ enough staff in case it cuts down the size of the director's bonus. 

No way that's incorrect.

My call is important to them. They told me 50 times whilst waiting in the queue.

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But the net balance between the two depends on elasticity (market not hulls!)

I liken it to housing. A few years ago we all just popped to the bank and got a mortgage and bought a house, they were available to most people even on lower income jobs. Todays youngsters in most cases can only dream of house ownership. People in average income jobs like I used to have can no longer afford a house, if the price drops then people will be able to buy one instead of renting. We need a price crash in boating also to enable younger people to be able to afford one.

WHY ARE PEOPLE LEAVING THE WATERWAYS- surely this must be a concern to CRT. One answer is that they may not care. Maybe seven years of misrule is a factor? Or are the CRT a wonderful group of people to deal with. It would be an interesting exercise to list all the good points of CRT.

(1) Enabling cyclists to take over the towpaths for leisure activities and opening up the towpath to a new role as a race track

(2) Tendering out of services and cutting back on staff

(3) Enabling canal side developments- such as the one that predatory developers love to do. Ones that destroy heritage and make them vast profits

Yes, they say a week in politics is a long time. Seven years for CRT may be seen as eternity!