Quality of build from Narrowboats of Staffordshire Ltd

Featured Posts

Hi. I’m after feedback from anyone who has a narrowboat built by Narrowboats of Staffordshire Ltd on the quality of hull and how she handles.   I usually find the information I need on narrowboats by doing a search on this website, but this time I’ve failed!  The question results from my quest to find another boat for me.

PS.  I know a brief history of the company.

Edited by anniedesigner

7 minutes ago, anniedesigner said:

Hi. I’m after feedback from anyone who has a narrowboat built by Narrowboats of Staffordshire Ltd on the quality of hull and how she handles.   I usually find the information I need on narrowboats by doing a search on this website, but this time I’ve failed!  The question results from my quest to find another boat for me.

I bet they are boat fitters and not boat builders. In all probability the hull was built by a better known company. Some photos of the bow area, stern area and midships might allow some on here to identify the hull builder.

Good idea, Tony.  I did wonder whether they might just be the fitters.  Here's a link to the boat and you, too, can balk at the price!  

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/narrowboats-of-stafford-57-semi-trad/616995

What I am wondering about with this boat is that it looks like the current owner needs to improve their steering skills or the boat is difficult to handle!

3 hours ago, anniedesigner said:

Hi, I'd echo your concerns about the handling of the boat.  When you see a steel boat with the amount of fenders usually found on a cruiser, it's either the steerer that can't or the boat handles like a cow in soft sand.

Please do be careful with the price also, probably 15 to 20k more than it should be, hope you've some good haggling skills.

2 hours ago, Rickent said:

75k, jesus.

Price showing £69,950 now. GHBS must have seen your comment and reduced it! ?

The boat is well specified, but that price could only be justified if the shell and fitout were by an acknowledged premium builder.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

I've seen this boat about a bit, usually in company with another all black boat. It always struck me as a no expense spared type fit, although not necessarily a well targeted one. It had Thames cruiser style stainless fender racks aft housing big white yachtie fenders, for example - somewhat unconventional a narrowboat and arguably unnecessary around Droitwich. The unusual thought behind the fit might be adding to the cost for little true gain on the cut and this could, potentially, catch out an inexperienced buyer. Horses for courses though, eh?

Thanks guys for all your comments and it seems we are thinking the same way about this boat. I don’t think it’s a South West Durham Steelcraft shell because of the square stern mainly (which I would prefer not to have). It’s just the unusual layout that has encouraged me to look at it. I also will find it hilarious if GHBS has reduced the price because if this discussion.  They, along with a number of other brokerages, know me rather well now because I am rather discerning and one has even stopped responding to my enquiries.  The fact that I have the readies and am a genuine buyer seems to pass them by.  

So, I would be delighted if any of you can point me in the right direction of a decent boat 50ft - 58ft AND not at an extortionate price for what it is.  When I am asked by a broker what my budget is I say “Whatever I think the boat is worth.”  

If you know of anyone who is after a shortish boat then I recommend them to view Fidra, a Mel Davis 41ft trad, advertised on Apollo Duck. I have unfortunately worked out I cannot fit on it all the standard liveaboard kit plus my crafts stock for trading.  She has good steel, the bilge is dry and pretty well rust free, the fit out is well done AND has the boat has been looked after which makes a refreshing change.  It’s more than many other late 1990’s boats but I’ve seen some shocking boats for nearly the same price. 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, anniedesigner said:

If you know of anyone who is after a shortish boat then I recommend them to view Fidra, a Mel Davis 41ft trad, advertised on Apollo Duck. 

I believe that Fidra, built in 1994, was Mel's first boat (though he'd previously worked for another boatbuilder after some years as a coal miner). 12 years later he built ours, with which we are still very pleased.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

The boat is well specified,

Is it? Bog standard ash faced ply lining, usual equipment. The only higher spec items are a Travelpower and 3kW Victron Combi.

The front doors and side doors opposite the fold down double are only suitable as emergency access, so there is only proper access at the stern - a pain when boating.

Combined with the pretty hideous hull and cabin lines it still looks well overpriced at £70k.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is it? Bog standard ash faced ply lining, usual equipment. The only higher spec items are a Travelpower and 3kW Victron Combi.

The front doors and side doors opposite the fold down double are only suitable as emergency access, so there is only proper access at the stern - a pain when boating.

Combined with the pretty hideous hull and cabin lines it still looks well overpriced at £70k.

It has a bit more than that.

I have put what i consider to be the higher than usual specification items in bold.

Hot water is supplied by a Calorifier/ Immersion/ Webasto. Central heating is supplied by Webasto. There is an Aarrow solid fuel stove in the saloon. A Canaline 42hp engine provides the propulsion. PRM 150 D2 gearbox. Three alternators. Electrics include: 240v landline, a 3kw Victron combi inverter, a 3.5kw Travel Power generator, 4 x 100w solar panels with MPPT controller, 1 starter & 4 leisure batteries. 4 berth with a drop down double and a Pullman’s dinette conversion. The walkthrough bathroom contains a Thetford cassette toilet, a shower and a vanity basin. The galley is equipped with a cooker, a 12v fridge/freezer, a washing machine, a tumble dryer, a microwave and laminate worktops. BSC 2021. Blacked 2017 (2 pack). Engine serviced regularly. 2 x side hatches. Pram hood.

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It has a bit more than that.

I have put what i consider to be the higher than usual specification items in bold.

Hot water is supplied by a Calorifier/ Immersion/ Webasto. Central heating is supplied by Webasto. There is an Aarrow solid fuel stove in the saloon. A Canaline 42hp engine provides the propulsion. PRM 150 D2 gearbox. Three alternators. Electrics include: 240v landline, a 3kw Victron combi inverter, a 3.5kw Travel Power generator, 4 x 100w solar panels with MPPT controller, 1 starter & 4 leisure batteries. 4 berth with a drop down double and a Pullman’s dinette conversion. The walkthrough bathroom contains a Thetford cassette toilet, a shower and a vanity basin. The galley is equipped with a cooker, a 12v fridge/freezer, a washing machine, a tumble dryer, a microwave and laminate worktops. BSC 2021. Blacked 2017 (2 pack). Engine serviced regularly. 2 x side hatches. Pram hood.

Hardly £25k worth of extra spec though. Its . £50k boat in my opinion, if even that given how ugly it is...

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hardly £25k worth of extra spec though. Its . £50k boat in my opinion, if even that given how ugly it is...

I agree that it is overpriced. If you read my post #12 I said that it could only command that kind of price of both hull and fitout were by acknowledged top builders.

I'm trying to where it could have been built in Stoke on Trent. There used to be a boat fitter out between Festival Marina and Middlewood Pottery. Latterly he was doing boat safety certificates but even that appears to have fizzled out. I don't think there was any facility to build shells. I can't think of anywhere else.

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Well, if that's really 2 year old epoxy then the steel wasn't wasn't prepped or the paint applied properly

Very true. My 12 year old boat, with original 2 pack, is currently being reblacked and doesn't look as bad as that.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't find it any uglier than the average narrow boat but I guess it's all down to personal taste. I think there's a lot to be said for a boat without a bow well deck if it still has access out of the cabin. I have a self draining well deck and all they really do is collect leaves & dirt and offer increased prospects of sinking on tidal rivers or flooding in locks.  I move my boat single-handed and never really use the well deck. Waste of space in my opinion.

I agree it's not worth anything near what they're asking for it though, just not for the same reasons.

Edited by blackrose