Reopening of Runcorn locks and Newport Branch

Philip

Featured Posts

I suppose if they could restore the canal through Berwick tunnel into Shrewsbury and also the Trench canal then it would make the detour from Norbury an attractive idea. Would reopening only as far as Newport or Wappenshall persuade many Shroppie boaters on the long pound to add an extra 36 locks to their journey (to go there and back), for approximately 8-10 miles of new canal?

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I suppose if they could restore the canal through Berwick tunnel into Shrewsbury and also the Trench canal then it would make the detour from Norbury an attractive idea. Would reopening only as far as Newport or Wappenshall persuade many Shroppie boaters on the long pound to add an extra 36 locks to their journey (to go there and back), for approximately 8-10 miles of new canal?

On that basis we would not have the likes of Aylesbury etc. Me, I'd do it cos it's there! 

On 16/09/2019 at 10:01, Philip said:

WRG and SNCT have been working at Berwick Tunnel, but it's debatable whether it would ever form part of a restored route. The A5 cuts across the canal either side of the tunnel, so you could save a lot of money (as in £3m-£5m) by staying north of the tunnel for a short while.

Runcorn is the sort of project that could potentially get regeneration money - obviously there's the wider Mersey Gateway context, but also an ambition to do something with Runcorn Old Town. That relies very much on the local authority being on board. The industrial land is sufficiently low value that you could in theory bash a route through to the Weston Canal à la Liverpool, but in practice a traffic-light system on the MSC would do the job – light-controlled passage, monitored by CCTV, and only permitted when there are no ship movements.