Narrow or wide beam?

BK.Rob

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, we are looking for a 22-27ft boat to cruise the midland canals only pottering about, it seems quite difficult buying a fiberglass cruiser around this area as they are nearly all steel. I have secured a mooring but it is on the Stratford canal which is narrow beam..is that boats up to 6.10 in width? The thing is there are quite a few wider beams about..especially Normans which are a good solid boat, so Im wondering whether to hold out for a mooring on the Grand union by us instead and purchase a slightly wider boat like a Norman (obviously forgetting any trips on the Stratford) can anyone see an issue with that, Im worried if we would jut out when moored alongside the other boats..maybe im over thinking it! lol. Thanks!

If you have a widebeam on the northern part of the GU then you going to be limited to just that waterway, as I think you realise.  To me if you want a boat to potter about in you would be much better off with narrowbeam in this area.

As you say the vast majority of boats in that area are steel narrowboats, if you really want a cruiser not a narrowboat, then look further afield for a boat and either bring it to the midlands by water or factor in road transport.

1 minute ago, BK.Rob said:

Just found out you can cruise up to 7ft wide boat on the Stratford, some Normans are 7ft wide so thats great news.

All narrow canals are nominally 7ft beam.  Modern narrowboat are usually built to 6ft10in to give a bit of wiggle room.  One of the locks on the South Stratford on the Wilmcote flight is particularly narrow, but I believe that 7ft (but not a inch more) will fit.

2 minutes ago, BK.Rob said:

Just found out you can cruise up to 7ft wide boat on the Stratford, some Normans are 7ft wide so thats great news.

The limitations on the canals are not only width (beam) but draught (depth) in the water and draught in the air (height).

The canals are quite shallow (generally 1 metre or less) and the bridges quite low.

GRP cruisers can have outboard engines, or drives on 'legs' which can increase the depth requirements.

The bridges tend to be shaped in an arch so are effectively 'lower' for wider boats.

Not saying the Norman is not suitable, but just check ALL of its dimensions are suitable for the area you wish to use it.

For the sake of asking a few questions it could save you buying a boat that is suited to your preferred waterway.

This is a 32 foot 'Narrow' GRP cruiser against our 35 foot 'widebeam' cruiser - similar length, but, as you can see there is more difference than just width.

(Extreme example - maybe ?)

CAM00020.jpg

Yeah thanks Alan, I know ive got to stick to a boat suitable for the canal system, was just wondering how much difference it would make to jump from 6.10 beam to say a 7 something beam on the Grand Union, ive been looking mainly at Normans, Vikings, nauticus and Dandys TBH as I know they are suitable..just not many around in the midlands. I may have to consider outside the area and transport back but would rather spend that investment on the boat.. no hurry will keep looking.

46 minutes ago, BK.Rob said:

Yeah thanks Alan, I know ive got to stick to a boat suitable for the canal system, was just wondering how much difference it would make to jump from 6.10 beam to say a 7 something beam on the Grand Union, ive been looking mainly at Normans, Vikings, nauticus and Dandys TBH as I know they are suitable..just not many around in the midlands. I may have to consider outside the area and transport back but would rather spend that investment on the boat.. no hurry will keep looking.

As John said (above) n reality no difference in 7 foot or 6' 10"

The odd lock (maybe on the Llangollen for instance) are known to be tight for 7 footers which is why these days most NB's are built to about 6' 10"