It has no thermostat 

It does have a bowman water cooler that is raw water cooled 

The coolant is in and no leaks 

Water comming out is cold

Engine although hot isnt overly hot

But water temp is 115 !!!

It doesnt rise any more but it is worrisome 

Any help would be appreciated 

Ps it doesnt loom like a head gasket as there is no brown stuff in head or in header tank

20190908_155638.jpg

31 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

I just had the panel made and put on 

Ive checked the temp sender on engine is working by putting in a kettle on and temp going up 

Do they need to be calibrated? I just thought you had to replace 

When I put a new sender unit in it had to be the correct one to match the engine and the gauge.

The gauge could be faulty, or the sender unit could be faulty.

Sometimes these electrical sensors & gauges need a stabilised supply not raw 12 volts.

My old cars use 10v, and later models use a 5 volt supply - created by a little black box 'tween supply and the gauge.

As Alan says, its important to get a matching set of components.

maybe your engine is old enough to have once been fitted with a thermal gauge system as Jalke-crew refers to and if so the sender unit will need changing. Apart from that there are two gauge standards US & European. if you mix gauge and senders from different standards the gauge either reads roughly twice or half what it should. Yours are the classic symptoms of mismatched gauge and sender.

Whoever made up the panel should have supplied you with matched senders for the oil pressure (if electric) and temperature gauges and then adaptors to fit the sender to the engine if it was needed.

You can not recalibrate the gauges or senders. The paper ASAP catalogue has the sender resistance data.

PS If it was a thermal sender the 12V would send the gauge to full scale so it is likely to just be a mismatched gauge and sender.

Edited by Tony Brooks