Portable generator recommendations

strummerjoe

Featured Posts

Hi all, hope you’re all have a good evening. 

Im looking for recommendations for a portable generator. My plan long term is to invest in a Honda but for the moment I am looking for a more modestly budgeted option. 

I only need it for it for when I am using power tools around the boat, angle grinder, jigsaw etc... and to charge my phone and laptop. No charging of batteries etc...

As for budget well I am looking at no more than £250 as this will only be a temporary solution for... well we all know how long things take on boats! ?

Don’t  mind if its petrol or diesel. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

strummerjoe. 

5 minutes ago, strummerjoe said:

Hi all, hope you’re all have a good evening. 

Im looking for recommendations for a portable generator. My plan long term is to invest in a Honda but for the moment I am looking for a more modestly budgeted option. 

I only need it for it for when I am using power tools around the boat, angle grinder, jigsaw etc... and to charge my phone and laptop. No charging of batteries etc...

As for budget well I am looking at no more than £250 as this will only be a temporary solution for... well we all know how long things take on boats! ?

Don’t  mind if its petrol or diesel. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

strummerjoe. 

I have had an SIP Medusa frame generator for many years and I note that they are still available in the sort of price range that you are looking at. Always been reliable, starting instantly even after periods of not using, and I have overloaded it frequently. I bought it 15 years ago for fitting the boat out, on the grounds that I could bin it at the price providing it lasted for the fit out. Still going strong, despite being abused. Can't say if they are still as good though. 

29 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I have had an SIP Medusa frame generator for many years and I note that they are still available in the sort of price range that you are looking at. Always been reliable, starting instantly even after periods of not using, and I have overloaded it frequently. I bought it 15 years ago for fitting the boat out, on the grounds that I could bin it at the price providing it lasted for the fit out. Still going strong, despite being abused. Can't say if they are still as good though. 

but how long is there still to go before the fitout is finished?

15 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

but how long is there still to go before the fitout is finished?

It is never finished! :)

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dont forget to invest in ear protectors too with a frame genny. And for any neighbours less than half a mile away. 

My Medusa isn't too bad though I accept some frame gennies are awful. I find that the more you pay,the quieter the gennie gets. The only hope of getting something super quiet for 250 quid is second hand. I had a Yamaha Genny that I paid 100 quid for s/h and it was super quiet, but only 1000W. It died when it was 22 years old and had seen a lot of use.

Consider whether you'd be better spending the money on a half decent inverter if you already have a reasonable engine/alternator/battery set up. Choose right and this will power your tools when you need them with the engine on and supply your other stuff silently when you need lower power. Potentially a better long term buy if it works for you. 

A bit more expensive than your price range but well cheaper than Honda are the Hyundai range. I have a Hyundai 2000 which has done close to 700hrs in less than a year. It is very quiet ( a bit noisier than a Honda) and has inverter technology. It is our lifeline in winter for charging the boat batteries (we have no shore power.) Very easy to service, economical etc, pleased with it so far, but will it live 22 years like its Yamaha predecessor?!