Novel justification for "Slow Down" notice

David Mack

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rasputin said:

Better use of your time would be chop it down before it flowers. So brum brum to you from me here in Cumbria where I was involved professionally with it's eradication from some areas 

I use a long stick and cut them down at the base. You have to keep an eye on them though because some start standing back up. 

2 hours ago, rasputin said:

Better use of your time would be chop it down before it flowers. So brum brum to you from me here in Cumbria where I was involved professionally with it's eradication from some areas 

Of course I know that, but round tuit are a scarce commodity, demands on my time to do other things excessive. The bits I cleared last year, appropriately earlier in the summer haven't grown back. There is also some Knotweed but the parks dept are dealing with that. They have reduced the amount over the past few years. I reckon if we could promote it as a free alternative to rhubarb it might help, but to be legal afaik, we would have to cook and eat it on the spot. The Japanese eat it. 

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t think that is too surprising - in order for the system to know a user ID is banned and display that on the user’s screen, that user must first login with username and password in order to be identified. So being logged in, and being able to post, are not the same thing.

That is a somewhat inferior system design: an attempt to login is not the same as logging in. Once the name/password have been entered, one response is "combination not recognised" (or whatever) and another is"you are logged in". It is entirely feasible/sensible at that point (before logging someone in) to post "you are banned". This at least means that the user knows that they have supplied correct combination but avoids a possible system vulnerability by logging someone in that should not be, even if for a short time.

27 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That is a somewhat inferior system design: an attempt to login is not the same as logging in. Once the name/password have been entered, one response is "combination not recognised" (or whatever) and another is"you are logged in". It is entirely feasible/sensible at that point (before logging someone in) to post "you are banned". This at least means that the user knows that they have supplied correct combination but avoids a possible system vulnerability by logging someone in that should not be, even if for a short time.

Well I suppose it depends on your definition of “logged in”. But clearly the combination of user name and password has to be checked against the user database, before a banned user can be identified as banned.

On 11/09/2019 at 07:14, Jim Riley said:

Waste of time replying with twaddle more like. My special high power stereoscopic full colour vision devices told me that there were still lots of flowers, mostly flowers, yes there were a few seeds, but not many. It's colder oop North. My vast superspeed organic thought processor then told me it was worth the effort, there will be fewer next year. So Ra Ra to you?

Why didn't you just scorch it off :captain:

• Greenie 1