Novel justification for "Slow Down" notice

David Mack

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Athy said:

According to your profile, you have no warning points at present. So someone has been "at it".

When I go on my profile, I see this:

image.png.bb3853af1404841614c8a157368abea2.png

Am I imagining it?

Not that I'm expecting anything to be done.  The only time I ever reported something to the moderators, it wasn't even acknowledged.

Edited by doratheexplorer

49 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Haha it’s funny how TB is so awful - and yet you read it! Is it a type of masochism?

I read bits. I'm entertained by their thread about this site and I keep up with Tony's posts because I like him as a person and his posts are always interesting and often informative. I don't bother with the rest of it, and I'm not a member because I have nothing to contribute and my attitudes in general don't fit in with theirs. So no masochism involved, not that it isn't fun, in its place (see Lehrer's tango). 

And it aint awful, just different. 

ETA PS, I read Narrowboatworld, sometimes, too. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Because he told me so and I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Simples!

Fair enough,

I thought you couldn't find that sort of info out from the forum.

So does he want to return here, and, if so, has he raised this with admin here, and what was there response?

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Fair enough,

I thought you couldn't find that sort of info out from the forum.

So does he want to return here, and, if so, has he raised this with admin here, and what was there response?

Well he says he doesn't, so almost certainly hasn't, so there won't be one, and so, to be ruthlessly honest, who cares? As I said before, it probably only gets looked at if someone reapplies under their own name, and until that happens, there's nothing to know. No sound in a vacuum. 

This is an awful long thread from a good starting joke, hijacked along the way by dragging up an old and somewhat dull story about which nobody with any sense cares any more. You lot must be bored cos Brexit's gone into meltdown... 

Well done, but clearly there is some kind of serious flaw or breakdown in the process here. If a ban is automatically lifted at the end of its period, that mechanism isn't working. I suspect, despite the software updates, its still a manual process though. If that's the case then there needs to be a proper process in place; and I'd suggest if its longer than a little while, an email is sent to the member concerned to inform them once the time is reached.

And if lifetime bans have been imposed, then members should have been informed of the duration at the time, to manage their expectations.

On 08/09/2019 at 18:20, Jim Riley said:

Well, the past two hours have not been spent dawdling on t'internet. I've been chopping down Indian Balsam with a scythe. Not much else to be said really, as I said, opinions differed on whether or not it was reasonable in the circumstances and who decides that. 

I of a pet hate, pacifically, demonstrable ignorance have the English language, it makes me go nucular and turn into an evil toe rag. 

(How many errors are there in the last paragraph.) 

The Pedants are revolting! 

waste of time chopping it down now, it is an annual and has already seeded

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rasputin said:

waste of time chopping it down now, it is an annual and has already seeded

Waste of time replying with twaddle more like. My special high power stereoscopic full colour vision devices told me that there were still lots of flowers, mostly flowers, yes there were a few seeds, but not many. It's colder oop North. My vast superspeed organic thought processor then told me it was worth the effort, there will be fewer next year. So Ra Ra to you?

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 2

16 hours ago, Athy said:

The site crew, however, has (have?) not been idle. Kris88's ban has now been rescinded.

No unfortunately it seems not. kris88 is still banned - despite clearing his cache etc. he gets the “you are banned”-type screen when he tries to log in.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

No unfortunately it seems not. kris88 is still banned - despite clearing his cache etc. he gets the “you are banned”-type screen when he tries to log in.

Thank you for reporting that. I'll pass your information on to RichM, who knows how the electronic bits of the forum work.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It shows him logged in though. Something weird going on.

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 09.58.17.png

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 10.00.25.png

Edited by rusty69

33 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It shows him logged in though. Something weird going on.

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 09.58.17.png

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 10.00.25.png

I don’t think that is too surprising - in order for the system to know a user ID is banned and display that on the user’s screen, that user must first login with username and password in order to be identified. So being logged in, and being able to post, are not the same thing.

Edited by nicknorman

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t think that is too surprising - in order for the system to know a user ID is banned and display that on the user’s screen, that user must first login with username and password. So being logged in, and being able to post, are not the same thing.

Fair enough, though I thought Kris was suggesting he couldn't log in.

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you for reporting that. I'll pass your information on to RichM, who knows how the electronic bits of the forum work.

Can I suggest you or he does a test or two as needs be, then writes out some clear instructions so that all moderators can do the necessary tasks without these types of delays?

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Fair enough, though I thought Kris was suggesting he couldn't log in.

He can log in only to find that he is banned. As I explained, being banned doesn’t mean you can’t log in (otherwise how would the system know it was you?), it means that when you log in you can do nothing further.

Just now, nicknorman said:

He can log in only to find that he is banned. As I explained, being banned doesn’t mean you can’t log in (otherwise how would the system know it was you?), it means that when you log in you can do nothing further.

Ah, OK, thanks for explaining. I have never been banned, so was unaware you could still log in.

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Waste of time replying with twaddle more like. My special high power stereoscopic full colour vision devices told me that there were still lots of flowers, mostly flowers, yes there were a few seeds, but not many. It's colder oop North. My vast superspeed organic thought processor then told me it was worth the effort, there will be fewer next year. So Ra Ra to you?

Better use of your time would be chop it down before it flowers. So brum brum to you from me here in Cumbria where I was involved professionally with it's eradication from some areas