Novel justification for "Slow Down" notice

David Mack

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

What is the point going slow "past" moored boat? Surely better before?

You’ve got that wrong, Stan. His use of ‘past’ is correct; you’re thinking of ‘passed’. 

Certainly though it would be better written ‘as you pass...’

Well, yes it is better to slow down before reaching moored boats due to the movement of the water etc etc - but the guy / gal didn’t have room on the lock beam to write an essay, they were just giving a heads up of unusual action ahead.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

Seen today at Curdworth Lock 3. 

20190907_173937.jpg.3ba50f99c98064456fc33c61ad73f2a2.jpg

Just how long are they planning on leaving the engine hanging?

That could go on for years.

There was a guy on this very forum (subsequently banned) who had stayed in the same place awaiting a very special bolt for his engine - this could only be made in Outer Mongolia by a one handed, one legged Monk.

He managed to stay in one place for 18 months+ and C&RT obligingly let him, then realised he was extracting the urine and he eventually took a mooring somewhere.

• Unimpressed 1

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

You’ve got that wrong, Stan. His use of ‘past’ is correct; you’re thinking of ‘passed’. 

Certainly though it would be better written ‘as you pass...’

It would. Slow down passing or as you pass makes better reading.
I knew what it meant of course, and in this instance that is all that matters. I was just being an a****hole as per usual ;)

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That could go on for years.

There was a guy on this very forum (subsequently banned) who had stayed in the same place awaiting a very special bolt for his engine - this could only be made in Outer Mongolia by a one handed, one legged Monk.

He managed to stay in one place for 18 months+ and C&RT obligingly let him, then realised he was extracting the urine and he eventually took a mooring somewhere.

It's easy to snipe when he can't respond. He restored  an old hull with few resources, not everyone can sail in an afternoon to outer Mongolia on their spare flying boat from their fleet just to pick up spares you know. 

It's now a lovely boat. I saw it before he bought it. It takes dedication to do what he did. Several thought his stay "reasonable in the circumstances" btw. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

not everyone can sail in an afternoon to outer Mongolia on their spare flying boat from their fleet just to pick up spares you know. 

That's true life can be damned inconvenient. I would probably have to send the butler instead.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

It's now a lovely boat.

I'm sure it is, it still doesn't make stopping in one place for 18 months / 2 years 'OK'.

He said he had no money for a mooring and no money to buy the necessary parts - in which case, labour of love it may have been but he shouldn't of tried building a boat tied up to the tow path.

I don't believe I have suggested anything that is incorrect (maybe the one legged Tibetan monk was not quite 100% true)

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm sure it is, it still doesn't make stopping in one place for 18 months / 2 years 'OK'.

He said he had no money for a mooring and no money to buy the necessary parts - in which case, labour of love it may have been but he shouldn't of tried building a boat tied up to the tow path.

I don't believe I have suggested anything that is incorrect (maybe the one legged Tibetan monk was not quite 100% true)

"Have" not "of". I would've thought you'd know better. 

Well, the past two hours have not been spent dawdling on t'internet. I've been chopping down Indian Balsam with a scythe. Not much else to be said really, as I said, opinions differed on whether or not it was reasonable in the circumstances and who decides that. 

I of a pet hate, pacifically, demonstrable ignorance have the English language, it makes me go nucular and turn into an evil toe rag. 

(How many errors are there in the last paragraph.) 

The Pedants are revolting! 

Edited by Jim Riley

7 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Well, the past two hours have not been spent dawdling on t'internet. I've been chopping down Indian Balsam with a scythe. Not much else to be said really, as I said, opinions differed on whether or not it was reasonable in the circumstances and who decides that. 

Indian, is there a new invasive none native I don't know about or just a typo?

Assuming it was Himalayan balsam well done, fascinating stuff but a bloody pest

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Indian, is there a new invasive none native I don't know about or just a typo?

Assuming it was Himalayan balsam well done, fascinating stuff but a bloody pest

That's the one, silly me, Himalayan. Is Indian Balsam an ointment? More likely dementia has crept... 

There is a small wood behind my house, I don't want it creeping into the little common land meadow between me and the wood. It would take over the bit near my fence where gorilla gardeners have planted veg beds, fruit bushes and trees. The council deal with the knotweed but not the Balsam, its easy to cut down, I've left it a bit late but never mid, there'll still be fewer plants next year. 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 1