Adding a platform to the top of a narrowboat

Una

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Una said:

Would it be wise to construct a platform on top of a 38ft boat for the purpose of sitting up there? I know this can destabilise a boat. If it's doable, how's it done?

What's wrong with just sitting or lying on the roof (but only when the boat is moored)? 

31 minutes ago, Una said:

Would it be wise to construct a platform on top of a 38ft boat for the purpose of sitting up there? I know this can destabilise a boat. If it's doable, how's it done?

I have seen a few that sit across the handrails, akin to a car roof rack. A timber frame would suffice, with struts inside the handrails to stop it moving about. Quickly detachable for roof maintenance/low bridges etc. Saw one recently made out of decking. Depends on your expectations really. Will add weight high up so perhaps not a good idea on rivers or similar. 

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

What's wrong with just sitting or lying on the roof (but only when the boat is moored)? 

Too hot! Bit of timber or similar is cooler to lie on. Cant get on our roof anyway for solars and roof boxes ;)

Thanks, Catweasel. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with sitting on the roof or on the towpath. Think my son must have seen something impressive chugging past and started thinking...

Just now, Una said:

Thanks, Catweasel. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with sitting on the roof or on the towpath. Think my son must have seen something impressive chugging past and started thinking...

We built something similar on our previous 30 ft narrowboat. It was more for storage than sitting on (very limited storage in 30 footer!) but you could sit on it if needs be. It was far better for keeping stuff on than the curved roof underneath. That boat had tubular handrails, so was dead easy to clamp cross bars to. 
Saw a roof platform on a boat in Manchester which was covered in AstroTurf. Deckchair and brolly when moored, job done.

Yes - I think it's the deckchair vibe my son's going for. Like you say - it could provide good storage. To be honest, I'd be more comfortable sitting on the boat roof rather than wobbling about on a deck chair up there. Was yours a wooden structure?

5 minutes ago, Una said:

Yes - I think it's the deckchair vibe my son's going for. Like you say - it could provide good storage. To be honest, I'd be more comfortable sitting on the boat roof rather than wobbling about on a deck chair up there. Was yours a wooden structure?

Yes wooden. Much cooler to sit on than  steel on sunny days. Flat rather than curved too.  I blistered my knees once working on the steel roof on a sunny day. When I say you can fry on egg on there, I am only half joking!

29 minutes ago, Una said:

My question too! It’s my son who’s asking. It’s a short boat so a little cluttered up there. A platform would most likely clutter it further. 

71B35E13-F1CF-4FC8-A237-B4949AE9EEB4.jpeg

by the look of it, perhaps your boat doesn't move very often (dare I say hardly ever?) - the stability case is insignificant as long as you sit more or less in the middle (and don't have any 'roof parties').

Actually, my son moves it every couple of weeks! 

Yes, it would have to be in the middle. I think it would spoil the line of the boat, myself. And it would have to be a 4 person roof party max! 

Beware of anything that interferes with being able to use the hand rails. When moving down the side of the boat when mooring, or passing locks, reaching for the hand rail and finding something blocking it can lead to a dunking, or worse. I've seen modifications with roof racks for storage that make moving down the gunwales very precarious.

Jen

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

Yes wooden. Much cooler to sit on than  steel on sunny days. Flat rather than curved too.  I blistered my knees once working on the steel roof on a sunny day. When I say you can fry on egg on there, I am only half joking!

Mrs Hound puts an old sleeping bag on the roof to sit on when it's hot. Saves her getting a blistered b*m. ?

4 minutes ago, Una said:

Does it really get THAT hot in the UK?

The steel roof of a boat can, especially if it is painted in a dark colour.

Yours is painted in a sensible light colour, but will still get quite hot on a sunny summer's day.

37 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Beware of anything that interferes with being able to use the hand rails. When moving down the side of the boat when mooring, or passing locks, reaching for the hand rail and finding something blocking it can lead to a dunking, or worse. I've seen modifications with roof racks for storage that make moving down the gunwales very precarious.

Jen

Very good point. If obscuring the handrail, it would be prudent to add a handrail on the platform itself.

I'm a great follower of tradition, and nowadays it stipulates that roofs (rooves) of canal boats are to be cluttered with …..

bags of coal

tree branches awaiting sawing up

lumps of tree trunks that will never be used for anything

garden watering cans and flat irons painted with brussel sprouts

jam jars full of hardened old paint brushes 

aerials

photovoltaic panels

black bags full of rubbish

rusty BBQs

bicycles

generators

gnomes baring their bums

a long single line of rubber ducks

already full porta potti cassettes

However NOWHERE is it stipulated that one should mount a platform up there.  Maybe if you relinquish the rubber ducks, you might get away with it.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I'm a great follower of tradition, and nowadays it stipulates that roofs (rooves) of canal boats are to be cluttered with …..

bags of coal

tree branches awaiting sawing up

lumps of tree trunks that will never be used for anything

garden watering cans and flat irons painted with brussel sprouts

jam jars full of hardened old paint brushes 

aerials

photovoltaic panels

black bags full of rubbish

rusty BBQs

bicycles

generators

gnomes baring their bums

a long single line of rubber ducks

already full porta potti cassettes

However NOWHERE is it stipulated that one should mount a platform up there.  Maybe if you relinquish the rubber ducks, you might get away with it.

No teapot?