Best option for very small bathroom in 2019

Una

Featured Posts

I'd like to refurbish my son's bathroom on his small narrowboat. He currently has a small shower tray, sink and cassette toilet. The walls have waterproof panels. I've been interested to read about all the wet room vs shower tray discussions but many are quite old now and I'm wondering what the best options are now in 2019.  I personally love the idea of a wet room for the extra feeling of space (and my son is tall). There is currently a sliding door into the bathroom but I'm happy to change that to two opening doors to increase the size of the bathroom when in use. Please let me know of the most up-to-date, leak-proof and environmentally friendly options. I'm quite happy to invest in an Airhead toilet too. I'm also looking for an expert to possibly do the job for us!

Thanks, Jen in Wellies. It is a sliding door and I do like the idea of increasing the size with two doors to block off the bedroom and kitchen. Only thing is, this makes a wet room less useful. I like the look of Chevron's set up - simple. My son currently has an unnecessary cabinet under the sink, carpet, and a mirrored cabinet - all unnecessary, I think. Water, drainage and space are what's important. I really do need some help in actually getting the job done though. Contacts in Central London would be great.

4 minutes ago, Una said:

Yes, I'm expecting a surprise. I'm inclined to clear the whole room out and start from scratch.

What sort of pump is used to empty the shower tray at the moment? If it empties in to a small sump tank, with a float switch that triggers a pump, then during the refurbishment replace it with a Whale Gulper. These can empty direct from the shower tray, overboard. Never seem to get blocked and very hard to kill. Have a search on here and you'll see people saying how good they are.

Jen

Thanks, Jen. That's useful advice. Yes, I've heard people mentioning them. My frustration is that I'm not in the UK at the moment to stand in the bathroom and make decisions but it's helpful to start working it all out beforehand  - to think around a few options. It's a small space so we don't have many options but I will certainly go for a whale gulper, not only because it's a great name, but because it sounds just the job. 

I fit bathrooms in houses and occasionally get asked to do a wetroom. I don't like doing them; in fact I lose sleep over them, especially over suspended floors. They don't seem to be as popular as they were a few years ago. Low profile (40mm) shower trays are more the norm. They are a lot easier and less stressful. I suspect they are more reliable in the long term. 

If space is really tight perhaps you could look at motorhome equipment. They have some ingenious solutions but do tend to be more expensive than domestic products. 

Thanks for that Stegra. It’s a tatty-looking bathroom so I’m hoping to refit the whole thing but cheaply. The plumbing is in and working fine, although I do like the sound of the whale gulper so I might put one of those in. I’ll most likely want to take out that shower tray and the surround or build another surround, put some vinyl flooring in and wall panels and a very small sink.  Then gloss the upper walls. As you suggest, I’ll look at motorhome fittings. Thanks for the suggestion.