Where old boats go to die

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Quite like it. A good way to use an old boat rather than chopping up for scrap. Seen similar done with old railway trucks etc.

Agreed. Any rust holes in the hull that would make it sink if on the water will actually let any water inside drain away. A way of getting another decade or two out of an old boat. Looks good and appropriate to its riverside location. 10 out of 10 for imagination by the home owner.

Personally, I'd have left the bow on for a more boaty look

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

56 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Quite like it. A good way to use an old boat rather than chopping up for scrap. Seen similar done with old railway trucks etc.

Is that the bow beneath it? Shame they chopped it off. I think it would look less of an eyesore had it been left with the pointy end intact and perhaps painted green to blend it in a bit.

Having just looked at it in detail that boat has been around there for decades, the really interesting thing about it is that it has a bow prop, if you look at the bow there is a big circular intake in it. I never did find out if the thrust was at the bow through vents or stern as normal.

Cant help with the name my memory isn't that good, somewhere in my analogue archive is a picture of it in the water in about 2001.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

For years there was an old, short, Springer style narrow boat in a scrap yard between Raynes Park and Wimbledon railway stations.

I used to see it on my commute into London.

Disappeared around the year 2000.  IIRC.

Probably an Aintree Beetle. If it was at the turn of the century,maybe got that millenium bug thing and died.

• Haha 1

The Kennet boat has been there for years and until recently looked quite smart, I think it was green like its bow. The brown paint job has done it no favours. I half remember a small crane there too so I had assumed that its lifted in and out as required and had wondered if the "detachable" bow figured in this somehow. It does look more like a shed now and I can't really see how the bow would quickly attach.

...............Dave

12 hours ago, dmr said:

The Kennet boat has been there for years and until recently looked quite smart, I think it was green like its bow. The brown paint job has done it no favours. I half remember a small crane there too so I had assumed that its lifted in and out as required and had wondered if the "detachable" bow figured in this somehow. It does look more like a shed now and I can't really see how the bow would quickly attach.

...............Dave

From October 2016:

76A2F47E-BE05-4040-B958-9DFA1EE21E29.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tim Lewis said:

From October 2016:

76A2F47E-BE05-4040-B958-9DFA1EE21E29.jpeg

So I was right in that the boat was a lot smarter, but no sign of the crane!

Never had a really really good look at this cus, as you know, taking a 70 footer down the Kennet needs a bit of concentration. I wondered if the bow came off to allow the boat to sit in the water within the boundary of the property, but from memory there is enough water frontage to accommodate the entire boat. I suspect this is one of those canal mysteries that will never be revealed...maybe a dispute with CRT like the lonesome boat on the South Oxford????, or maybe the owner got an EoG mooring without realising how evil the Kennet can be and pulled the boat out......or maybe a flood put it into the back garden :)

...............Dave