Oil pressure issue

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

A new issue appeared with the oil pressure on my beta 43 with a shade under 5000 hours.

When cold, i have good oil pressure at idle and cruising rpms, circa 50psi, however, when warm at below about 1200rpm, down to idle i have (apparently) zero oil pressure.

I have changed the oil and filter about 50 hours early, with 15/40 mineral, and a beta filter incase the old filter was blocked, or the oil had thinned out due to diesel in the oil or something, but it made no difference, as soon as the new oil had warmed up, pressure vanished at low rpm.

I assume the pump is ok, as i would expect it to worse with cold thick oil, engine temp is normal, oil level was normal before i changed the oil, and is still normal, could the gauge be lying to me?

has anyone had this issue?  

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

Does the gauge drop slowly or go down suddenly?

Does the engine sound like its got a bag of nails in it?

............Dave

My sons old car was like that, engine worn so clearance is a bit big, then as the oil gets hot it thins and flows faster than the pump can supply at low revs.  If you are lucky it may just need a new oil pump.

Admittedly an Isuzu engine not a Beta, but a guy we helped out a few months back had the similar problem. The RCR guy fitted a new sender and hey presto cured. He said he changes them frequently (not sure if that was just Isuzu or all engines.)

Turns out the wire on the sender was loose, which is why at idle when the engine vibrates more the connection was dodgy, nipped it up again and all is good thankfully!

Why it only did it when hot i don't know, it only happened after 30 mins of running.

Thanks all.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

Turns out the wire on the sender was loose, which is why at idle when the engine vibrates more the connection was dodgy, nipped it up again and all is good thankfully!

Why it only did it when hot i don't know, it only happened after 30 mins of running.

Thanks all.

Great result! Always good to hear the outcome as others can benefit.

46 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

Thanks all.

It probably did it because the engine heat opened the female connector up a bit causing it to be loooooser.

1 hour ago, rawsondsr said:

Oil pressure is reduced as oil gets hot due to decreased viscosity, so perhaps it was a combination of that and your loose sender wire?