CB Marine & Wessex Boat Builders

Tasemu

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tasemu said:

I'm slightly confused myself, as I have been on the boat and definitely only saw 1 solid fuel stove in the boat, and it was the morso (squirrel?) in the saloon.. So i can only imagine it being that stove that is supplying the back boiler. But i cant see any pipes in the picture, didn't have the chance to look when I was there. I think i'm going to look again tomorrow. But i take it that if it is all plugged in, then that's a good thing and back boilers work? I'd hate to buy it and then have luke warm water when i wanted hot, haha.

Well, I am glad I am not the only one confused. I can see no pipes coming off that squirrel, so unless there is another at the back you missed (doubtful), I would check on this bit:

Heating: Squirrel solid fuel stove feeding radiators.
Water Heating: Twin coiled calorifier heated via engine and solid fuel stove

As,I said, a well designed gravity heating system is great,but unless you can test it,or speak to the owners how are you going to know?

Just now, rusty69 said:

Well, I am glad I am not the only one confused. I can see no pipes coming off that squirrel, so unless there is another at the back you missed (doubtful), I would check on this bit:

Heating: Squirrel solid fuel stove feeding radiators.
Water Heating: Twin coiled calorifier heated via engine and solid fuel stove

As,I said, a well designed gravity heating system is great,but unless you can test it,or speak to the owners how are you going to know?

Awesome, thanks for your help. I'll find out tomorrow and report back with details!

Just now, rusty69 said:

It is possible, of course the pipes run through the galley to the rear of the boat, a calorifier and radiator.

If that were the case, would it be a bad thing? as in not a well designed gravity fed system.

3 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

If that were the case, would it be a bad thing? as in not a well designed gravity fed system.

No, as long as it works.I would think though, there may be a pump in the system if it is heating 2 rads (on opposite sides) and a calorifer,just one more thing to go wrong.You won't know til you look tomorrow which it is.

If it does have radiators supplied from a solid fuel stove, check whether the water circulates by gravity (much preferred) or pump.

If it is pumped it has two significant disadvantages.

1. The pump will consume electricity.

2. If the pump fails, the system can overheat and send steam out of the header tank and into the boat. A potential scalding hazard.

Right so I checked out tally ho today, it appears the back boiler does have a pump installed. I have no idea how much power this will chew through. Also it seems the bmc is not firing on one cylinder, but they said they will fix it before we put an offer in.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Tasemu said:

Right so I checked out tally ho today, it appears the back boiler does have a pump installed. I have no idea how much power this will chew through. Also it seems the bmc is not firing on one cylinder, but they said they will fix it before we put an offer in.

So the pipes go through the cupboards in the kitchen then?

38 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

And did you find out what inverter was fitted and exactly what it does?

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

And did you find out what inverter was fitted and exactly what it does?

There is a fairly chunky pure sinewave inverter installed along with a battery charger. I can't remember the brand... It was power-something...

There was also a weirdly large battery to battery charger in there... i figured it worked similar to a split charge relay? I'm not sure. But i could replace most of it with a victron relatively* cheaply.

Also, apparently Ethel Red is under offer now, so that ship has sailed it seems. ?