Red diesel petition

Momac

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

I'm surprised at how few have signed this considering how vocal the canal community can be on subjects that have financial implications on boaters.

I agree, nothing to be lost by signing it. 

If all inland boat owners & their partners, and those who use their boats on lumpy water signed, the 100,000 signatures required for MP's to consider debating it should be achievable.

25 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

I'm surprised at how few have signed this considering how vocal the canal community can be on subjects that have financial implications on boaters.

Maybe like me they have been put off by needing to write an email rather than fill in a form.  Also a lot of the information being requested appears to be more in the nature of data trawling rather than opinion gathering.

EDIT: Oops, answered wrong quetsion.  I was thinking of the consultation when I wrote the above. 

Edited by malp

2 minutes ago, malp said:

Maybe like me they have been put off by needing to write an email rather than fill in a form.  Also a lot of the information being requested appears to be more in the nature of data trawling rather than opinion gathering.

Have you used the link in the OP? There's no email to write and it takes less than a minute to complete.

1 minute ago, malp said:

Really?  I just added my name, post code and email address to the form and then clicked a link when the email arrived.  Job done...

I understand some people may not have a post code i.e. they are genuinely NFA, but most have a link to a post code one way or another.

6 minutes ago, malp said:

Err, all you have to do is provide a name, postcode and email address, and then click on the link in The email that they send to you to validste the email address that you have provided.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

1 minute ago, rgreg said:

Have you used the link in the OP? There's no email to write and it takes less than a minute to complete.

You are right, I was thinking of the consultation, not the petition.  Agreed signing it can do no harm, although I think it may be overtaken by other ongoing events.

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Err, all you have to do is provide a name, postcode and email address, and then click on the link in The email that they send to you to validste the email address that you have provided.

Mea Culpa.,  I was thinking of the consultation, not the petition.  Agreed signing it can do no harm, although I think it may be overtaken by other ongoing events.

3 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Really?  I just added my name, post code and email address to the form and then clicked a link when the email arrived.  Job done...

I understand some people may not have a post code i.e. they are genuinely NFA, but most have a link to a post code one way or another.

See replies to cuthound et al.

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

Likewise, it is doing the rounds elsewhere too.
Perhaps some just talk a good fight?

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

I didn’t sign it because it basically says that boating diesel will increase in tax by 30p per litre and we don’t want to pay.  Had it briefly stated why this is unfair then I would, but it just sounds like rich hobby boaters wanting to pay less tax on their hobby.  So I hope it doesn’t get enough signatures to trigger a debate, because it could turn public opinion against and then when it needs sensible discussion it will be more difficult to get a sensible result.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I didn’t sign it because it basically says that boating diesel will increase in tax by 30p per litre and we don’t want to pay.  Had it briefly stated why this is unfair then I would, but it just sounds like rich hobby boaters wanting to pay less tax on their hobby.  So I hope it doesn’t get enough signatures to trigger a debate, because it could turn public opinion against and then when it needs sensible discussion it will be more difficult to get a sensible result.

I agree that better arguments could have been put forward, but I have thought that throughout the whole campaign.
It was always going to be an uphill struggle though, when many other off road hobbies pay full whack for petrol.
It does put us at a disadvantage though as like may, our engine heats water, charges batteries etc. Unless we pay for more equipment, we are stuck with it. 
To think that our government could have vetoed it years ago, but chose not to do so.

14 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Your opinion is a valid one but it's not the rich hobby boaters that it will materially affect, they can afford to pay the increase.  

I am not on a "leisure" licence so it doesn't affect me but I signed it anyway.  

It will be interesting to see if HMRC use the additional revenue to fund canal based inspectors to dip fuel tanks or even a new department called "BOSA".  Perhaps they will have boats covered in hi-viz and flashing ambers?

9 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Your opinion is a valid one but it's not the rich hobby boaters that it will materially affect, they can afford to pay the increase.  

I am not on a "leisure" licence so it doesn't affect me but I signed it anyway.  

It will be interesting to see if HMRC use the additional revenue to fund canal based inspectors to dip fuel tanks or even a new department called "BOSA".  Perhaps they will have boats covered in hi-viz and flashing ambers?

I have been pondering this. It is my guess (my guesses tend to be wrong) that they will dip a few to start with, then quickly realise it is costing the relevant department too much, and simply isn't worth the candle. Maybe we will have Brexited by then and diesel will be free ;) Time will tell.

1 minute ago, catweasel said:

I have been pondering this. It is my guess (my guesses tend to be wrong) that they will dip a few to start with, then quickly realise it is costing the relevant department too much, and simply isn't worth the candle. Maybe we will have Brexited by then and diesel will be free ;) Time will tell.

Apparently it can take years to remove traces of red from tanks so the transition period could be a long one. 

1 minute ago, smiler said:

Quick question.....

What is the difference between red diesel- ie used in boats, agriculture, construction etc and oil used for central heating?

Is it different?

About 40p per litre (in favour of heating oil) ?  Somebody will be along with a technical answer but diesel and kerosene (heating oil) are different products.

Surely the point is that if you use oil for heating and hot water in your house you dont pay extra duty on it, even of it is a holiday let,. So why should liveabords and leisure boaters?

Other leisure pursuits don't use a significant portion of their diesel for heating.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph