Round sinks. Why?!

captain flint

Featured Posts

On 04/09/2019 at 23:01, nbfiresprite said:

Why round? most items being washed in the sink are also round, 

You're telling me you find it tricky washing round objects in square containers...? ;)

On 04/09/2019 at 23:17, Mike the Boilerman said:

fair dos. 

On 05/09/2019 at 10:05, Stilllearning said:

Aren’t sinks round because plates are as well?

I once tried to wash a saucer in a square sink. Big mistake

• Greenie 1

On 05/09/2019 at 10:16, JJPHG said:

Cheaper to manufacture?

Easier to fit?

Easier to clear?

Look better (not to all but to the majority maybe)?

In round ones the water doesn't get stuck in the corners ?

Good point about the corners. Not really sure about the looks, unless, you know, it's to go with your portholes or something. Otherwise they both look fairly utilitarian to me, only difference is the square ones *are* slightly more utilitarian cos they hold more. Each to their own of course

On 05/09/2019 at 10:19, Jennifer McM said:

Was about to say similar. Grimy grease doesn't get stuck in corners - round ones are easier to clean and keep clean. 

I've never found a sink round or square that wasn't just about the easiest thing to clean in the kitchen! Then again I don't eat or cook meat, maybe that meat grease is hard to shift...

6 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Good point about the corners. Not really sure about the looks, unless, you know, it's to go with your portholes or something. Otherwise they both look fairly utilitarian to me, only difference is the square ones *are* slightly more utilitarian cos they hold more. Each to their own of course

I've never found a sink round or square that wasn't just about the easiest thing to clean in the kitchen! Then again I don't eat or cook meat, maybe that meat grease is hard to shift...

Fair point.Since cutting down on meat (health reasons cholesterol high) our kitchen sink waste has kept much clearer. Used to be forever blocking. 

On 05/09/2019 at 10:43, Alan de Enfield said:

Not only do we have a round sink, but a round draining 'board' as well.

Ridiculous !!!

Versatility-35-24.jpg

Snap! The one thing I will say for the round drainer is that, with the wire thingy, you can actually balance quite a surprising amount in there, if you approach it with the kind of mindset of someone approaching a pay-by-bowlful salad bar looking for breadsticks or sticks of celery with which to extend their bowl before loading up. Obviously, I'm not talking about today, it is holding a very demure amount in that photo

IMG_20190911_105624.jpg

On 06/09/2019 at 21:34, ivan&alice said:

I have a square bathroom sink with a flat bottom, fits very nicely. I'm going to replace it with a round bowl. The bote is always listing a little one way or the other and there is always a corner that doesn't quite drain. That's my reason.

cloth and squeeze not fix that?!

On 05/09/2019 at 12:20, rusty69 said:

Ours are vintage too,would guesstimate 1960's.They are made of heavy gauge aluminium, with what looks like bakelite handles (though probably plastic).

Bakelite Is plastic innitt?

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Where can one get round cloths these days? 

are you too lazy to cut a circle out of a square cloth?

On 11/09/2019 at 11:00, captain flint said:

Snap! The one thing I will say for the round drainer is that, with the wire thingy, you can actually balance quite a surprising amount in there, if you approach it with the kind of mindset of someone approaching a pay-by-bowlful salad bar looking for breadsticks or sticks of celery with which to extend their bowl before loading up. Obviously, I'm not talking about today, it is holding a very demure amount in that photo

IMG_20190911_105624.jpg

oi!  get that sink cleared up!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Bakelite Is plastic innitt?

Yes. The first made from synthetic components.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

It even had its own museum - a fascinating place in an 18th century Somerset watermill, but the collection is currently homeless.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite_Museum

• Greenie 1