Round sinks. Why?!

captain flint

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We have a couple double split half pan saucepans. They are meant for camping,so you can use one burner to heat two different things. In theory, it is a great idea. In practice, they are a bugger to wash and dry.

As a youngster - my Mother had a set of 3-way split (triangular) pans, when I saw a set come up on ebay - I had to have them for the boat.

As you say - ideal for doing a full meal on one ring.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

As a youngster - my Mother had a set of 3-way split (triangular) pans, when I saw a set come up on ebay - I had to have them for the boat.

Ours are vintage too,would guesstimate 1960's.They are made of heavy gauge aluminium, with what looks like bakelite handles (though probably plastic).

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

If the round sink full of water is mounted upon a record player turntable and rotated at 78rpm the swirl of the water when you pull the plug out will be newtralizzed in the northern hemissfear,

It's said if you can imagine it.... it'll happen! That's how mobile phones came to be invented, first seen on Star Trek.

I'm sitting here waiting to be transported... somewhere sunny would be nice ?

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My late mum used the same every day until she was too confused to cook. 

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My late mum used the same every day until she was too confused to cook. 

My old mum cooked everyday until she had to go into care for her final days.

The fact she hadn't actually cooked for the past 6 years or so and Dad did it all seemed to completely pass her by ;)

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, they are all the same sink. 

To reverse the rotation for southern hemisphere, you just fit them upside down, silly! 

Ok camper needs a new sink. Ill take one with me ( they are half the price here) and fit it like a boilerman suggests. If it doesnt drain will you accept you are wrong ?

actually mrs S mentions is a square one in the van.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

If the round sink full of water is mounted upon a record player turntable and rotated at 78rpm the swirl of the water when you pull the plug out will be newtralizzed in the northern hemissfear,

Very usefull. I have a wind up gramophone, I will try it immediately when the paint on the boat no longer needs watching.

I have only owned two boats. Both have square sinks.

The present boat has two square  sinks at the galley.

One sink  is quite deep and we use it a drainer. I guess it could be filled with ice to chill the Prosecco. 

9 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

I'm sitting here waiting to be transported... somewhere sunny would be nice ?

Streuth Shiela, careful what you wish for - not that long ago, all you would have had to do is half inch a loaf of bread and that dream would come true! Before you know it, you'll be slipping a jumbuck in yer tucker bag. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Streuth Shiela, careful what you wish for - not that long ago, all you would have had to do is half inch a loaf of bread and that dream would come true! Before you know it, you'll be slipping a jumbuck in yer tucker bag. 

And shortly after, the Sheep owner will come along with three coppers to catch you in the act

20 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I have a rectangular lab sink with a large drain with no u bend - it drains perfectly no matter what the boat angle and it is wonderful.  It also has no overflow, which focuses the mind somewhat.  I find round sinks ugly but that is just me.

Does it have a flat bottom? Having a bottom that slopes relatively steeply towards the drain is key. Doesn't really matter what the shape is other than that... rectangular is fine.

15 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Does it have a flat bottom? Having a bottom that slopes relatively steeply towards the drain is key. Doesn't really matter what the shape is other than that... rectangular is fine.

I am not on the boat at the moment so I can't check.  I've always thought it was flat.  The drain hole is at one end which I've put at the stern end. The bow of the boat is always higher than the stern.   Now you've put the idea into my head I will not be happy until I've looked at it more closely, maybe Sunday.

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely the biggest problem with round sinks is when you drop a plate in that is exactly the same diameter as the bottom of the sink. 

No corners means no room to get hold of the edge of the plate... ?

That could happen if there's no plug chain. If no plug chain a bit of wire with a bend at the bottom dangled over into the sink on one side willl lift one side of the plate to enable it to be grasped hold of. Or the use of a sink unblocker plunger sucker to suck onto the plate to raise it.  :closedeyes:

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely the biggest problem with round sinks is when you drop a plate in that is exactly the same diameter as the bottom of the sink. 

No corners means no room to get hold of the edge of the plate... ?

If dropped from sufficient height, it should be easy to fish out the pieces! ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It might then appear that you have one very long nipple ?

Image result for sink plunger

I see a possibility, as 2 would be normally required the long ends could be tied together, to sort of meet behind the head and a parasol attached. 

It would hark back to the days of Victorian elegance and be practical at the same time

• Haha 1