Round sinks. Why?!

captain flint

Featured Posts

My boat has a round sink. Many boats have round sinks. Can anyone tell me why? Best guess I heard, but it only just about sounds convincing to me, is that it's to prevent crockery and glassware damage when the boat rocks. 

Oh hang on. 

I was about to go on a rant saying the only thing I can see that it does is take up - basically - the same footprint on your worktop as a square sink (not much you can do with those little extra triangles) but with much less capacity. Then the penny dropped. Is it so you can get more depth with less water?

I guess it must be. But I'm still not sure. Anyone confirm? Just curious. 

I'll be swapping mine out at some point, anyway... 

Edited by captain flint

3 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Best guess I heard, but it only just about sounds convincing to me, is that it's to prevent crockery and glassware damage when the boat rocks. 

We keep our crockery & glassware in the cupboards - far safer than in the sink.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because they are cheaper and boaters are total cheapskates.....

Have you seen the price of Shaws of Darwen ceramic sinks? But than At the rates you charge, You only have to do a hour or so work to pay for one.  I do have one for it is top quality craftmanship and will not only look great when inset to the oak worktop in the gallery, log lasting as well. Why round? most items being washed in the sink are also round, 

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've got a square sink, much easier to fit than a round one. 

This makes a change from toilet types... 

For a square one you had to make four cuts, With a round one just one using a router fixed to a centre pivot.

15 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Have you seen the price of Shaws of Darwen ceramic sinks?

Who cares?

Here's a round sink for £24, which is why you get them in so many boats.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASTRACAST-STAINLESS-STEEL-FLUSH-MOUNT-UNDERMOUNT-INSET-1-BOWL-ROUND-SINK-63/113724090823?hash=item1a7a7be9c7:g:zPEAAOSwXdlcrd8U

11 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

For a square one you had to make four cuts, With a round one just one using a router fixed to a centre pivot.

But Juno's round sink integral with the drainer, and the whole unit is square-ish

The bottom of the sink is also flat, which isn't clever as it doesn't drain properly unless the boat is trimmed dead level - which it never is

33 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

Cheaper to manufacture?

Easier to fit?

Easier to clear?

Look better (not to all but to the majority maybe)?

In round ones the water doesn't get stuck in the corners ?

Was about to say similar. Grimy grease doesn't get stuck in corners - round ones are easier to clean and keep clean. 

Edited by Jennifer McM

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Its to assist the water rotation when you empty sink. In northern hemisphere they are right rotation sinks ,in southern left rotation.

No, they are all the same sink. 

To reverse the rotation for southern hemisphere, you just fit them upside down, silly! 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

pans are round as well.   very inefficient when you store them away, and when you scour them there are no tasty bits left in the corners that you can enjoy the next time you use the pan.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

To reverse the rotation for southern hemisphere, you just fit them upside down, silly! 

that reminds me of a Top Gear challenge involving the Australians.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not only do we have a round sink, but a round draining 'board' as well.

Ridiculous !!!

Versatility-35-24.jpg

You've got a hob with no oven! And cupboards underneath!!!

Just what I want on Juno...

Edited to add - I can see you have an oven elsewhere before the pedants start - it's the cupboard below the hob that I want...

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Its to assist the water rotation when you empty sink. In northern hemisphere they are right rotation sinks ,in southern left rotation.

go into b and q and ask for a left rotation round sink and they will be unhelpful.

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This explains my B&Q were unhelpful even when I asked for a sink with a right hand rotation!

Mind you, when Homebase became Bunnings, all the sinks were upside down... :wacko::blink:

Edited by magpie patrick