Canalside project? Staffs & Worcs

sharpness

Featured Posts

That is superb, what a challenge! Nor even an internal toilet, but has power so could put an incinerator in. Don’t know what prices are like round there, high, I guess, but £150k seems a bit steep given how much you’d have to spend on it and still not have vehicle access.

Havent seen a canalside property that excited me so much since Freddie Starr’s place at Polesworth.

I was quite interested until I looked at the satellite view and realised in the field behind there's plainly a nest of wild lawnmowers, any building work would surely disturb them and send them off on a rampage, probably why the house has fallen into disrepair.

That said, there's something very soothing about laying in bed of a morning listening to the baby mowers start their little two strokes and caper about the meadow ;)

Untitled-1.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

That is superb, what a challenge! Nor even an internal toilet, but has power so could put an incinerator in. Don’t know what prices are like round there, high, I guess, but £150k seems a bit steep given how much you’d have to spend on it and still not have vehicle access.

Havent seen a canalside property that excited me so much since Freddie Starr’s place at Polesworth.

I think you meant the American singer Edwin Starr of the hit single "War" fame, not the (allegedly) hamster eating comedian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooley_Hall

Edited by cuthound
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

I think you meant the American singer Edwin Starr of the hit single "War" fame, not the (allegedly) hamster eating comedian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooley_Hall

Yes, you’re right of course. Comes of posting quickly first thing. I blame the drugs...

:closedeyes:

11 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Or do you mean Alvin Stardust’s house?

A cracking house without having to eat any hamsters. 

8 hours ago, MHS said:

No, cuthound was right, I was thinking of Edwin, so it was a little outpost of Motown. Brilliant place complete with secret stairway leading to the crenellated roof.

10 hours ago, MHS said:

Some great mixing up of stars. It was Freddie Star ate hamsters for breakfast!

Not Alvin Star, or Edwin Stardust.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Some great mixing up of stars. It was Freddie Star ate hamsters for breakfast!

Not Alvin Star, or Edwin Stardust.

We know. See post #2. It was more of a mix up who owned the house. 

Edited by MHS

I was curious as to why the Staffordshire & Worcestershire canal is shown as the River Stour in the google map that accompanies the estate agent notice.

Standards appear to have slipped.

As to the cottage/house at Cookley, the location is of interest and also raises a question as to age and if it was used used as a home for canal workers. The Stour at this point had beea navigation once, during the eighteen century. The nearby Cookley Ironworks had a basin that linked with the canal, and which had been a water powered corn mill and later converted into a charcoal ironworks, once owned by the Knight Family.

This map shows the area at the time of the 2nd Ordnance Survey.

The house up for sale is shown as opposite to the Rock House.

Cookley.png

Edited by Heartland

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

I was curious as to why the Staffordshire & Worcestershire canal is shown as the River Stour in the google map that accompanies the estate agent notice.

As to the cottage/house at Cookley, the location is of interest and also raises a question as to age and if it was used used as a home for canal workers. The Stour at this point had beea navigation once, during the eighteen century. The nearby Cookley Ironworks had a basin that linked with the canal, and which had been a water powered corn mill and later converted into a charcoal ironworks, once owned by the Knight Family.

This map shows the area at the time of the 2nd Ordnance Survey.

The house up for sale is shown as opposite to the Rock House.

Cookley.png

“Liable to floods”, or was that back in the past in the good old days?

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

Map makers include deliberate mistakes to counter plagiarism, so this could possibly be the case here. There's actually a village in America named after a "phantom town" that was included on a map before anything existed there. 

15 hours ago, stegra said:

Map makers include deliberate mistakes to counter plagiarism, so this could possibly be the case here. There's actually a village in America named after a "phantom town" that was included on a map before anything existed there. 

Also known as trap streets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_street

• Greenie 1