Mooring in Sheffield

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Hi Myself at 27ft and two other narrow boats 35ft and 57ft are planning on making the trip up to Sheffield for a Bi centenary celebration on 21st of September. I have read the threads regarding booking the Tinsley flight of locks. My concern is regarding mooring for the weekend in Sheffield. Not so much for my boat but the fella who lives on the 57ft boat doesn't have great mobility so will need a good mooring to get on and off. If he can find a good canal side mooring we can tie onto his boat if possible. From reading previous threads i understand that CV marine own all the moorings. I have just sent them an email but any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

9 minutes ago, Fitter kieron said:

Hi Myself at 27ft and two other narrow boats 35ft and 57ft are planning on making the trip up to Sheffield for a Bi centenary celebration on 21st of September. I have read the threads regarding booking the Tinsley flight of locks. My concern is regarding mooring for the weekend in Sheffield. Not so much for my boat but the fella who lives on the 57ft boat doesn't have great mobility so will need a good mooring to get on and off. If he can find a good canal side mooring we can tie onto his boat if possible. From reading previous threads i understand that CV marine own all the moorings. I have just sent them an email but any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

There are visitor moorings there and they are level with the counter of the boat, I have considered going myself. They are on both sides of the canal before going through the swing bridge into the basin.

Mooring side by side isnt really an option as a sheffield size trip boat goes in and out of the basin, at 12 foot wide the trip boat was a foot away from me and the narrowboat opposite

Edited by peterboat

Just now, Fitter kieron said:

Thanks Peter. Can we be fairly certain that there will be a mooring available for the 57ft boat ? 

It does depend how many boats travel up the flight to visit on those days, it is very much first come first served, but normally about 5 or six boats can moor up there

I doubt there will be much space if any to moor beyond the swing bridge, as all the available moorings are already pre-booked, the basin has filed up considerably since last year with permanent berth holders. The last 2 years the swing bridge has been closed for the day with the Charity boat Ethel turning before and running regular trips up the canal with the loss of a couple of visitor moorings. The only moorings that may be available are where Peter says, the regular visitor moorings where you can double moor narrowboats but not treble moor due to the width and the trip boat that usually does a trip being 15ft beam. As of yet there is little info on what's planned for the day, as the day is being run by CaRT and not CV Marine. A point from last year was that CaRT had to close the Tinsley flight the day before due to the River Don being in flood so visiting boats could not get up for the weekend.

Edited by PD1964

Thanks. We're not really worried about there being much on i can't find any up to date information. Is just really our way of marking the bi centenary and a good excuse to visit Sheffield by boat for the first time. If the river is too high for the locks we'll just have to alter our plans. It's just a trip out really.  My email has gone down today but will wait to hear back from CV marine.

On 05/09/2019 at 10:22, Fitter kieron said:

Thanks. We're not really worried about there being much on i can't find any up to date information. Is just really our way of marking the bi centenary and a good excuse to visit Sheffield by boat for the first time. If the river is too high for the locks we'll just have to alter our plans. It's just a trip out really.  My email has gone down today but will wait to hear back from CV marine.

I've just talked to the office and booked you in 3x boats, as I said it's only on the visitor moorings, they asked if you can resend your email with your details and dates and they will confirm, as they have just upgraded their server and some emails have been deleted off the system.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 3

On 09/09/2019 at 21:12, Fitter kieron said:

Got an email today from CV marine confirming that we should able to moor somewhere on the 21st. Thanks all for info and booking us in PD1964.

Yes you have moorings booked on the visitors A point to other boats that plan to visit, the moorings are booking up fast even with local boats, so please be aware that if you see an empty mooring it may not be available, as many of you know the moorings are limited, so you may be asked to double moor for the day.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Good stuff, we arnt bothering in the boat, will travel by Tram to allow more visitors to moor up

Best thing, as CaRT are bringing Naburn the work boat, Swinton Charity are bringing their boat and Strawberry Island say they're bringing ten boats(most drop out due to age on the way) So may be busy. CaRT only started putting posters up today, so may be hit or miss???

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2019 at 06:23, PD1964 said:

Yes you have moorings booked on the visitors A point to other boats that plan to visit, the moorings are booking up fast even with local boats, so please be aware that if you see an empty mooring it may not be available, as many of you know the moorings are limited, so you may be asked to double moor for the day.

Is there an etiquette to double mooring? Like if theres no room can you side tie to fill water or empty caassette or whatever? Or is it an only do it if your asked. 

2 minutes ago, cksantos85 said:

Is there an etiquette to double mooring? Like if theres no room can you side tie to fill water or empty caassette or whatever? Or is it an only do it if your asked. 

If you breast up (technical lingo) next to PD, just empty your crapper in his well deck. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

I wouldn't worry about it, as he will more then likely never get a narrowboat, just like a lot of question asking Newbe's that suddenly appear on here asking basic questions that if they did a simple search would find the answer, like the one above that has been asked many times before in many guises on here.

Edited by PD1964

12 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I wouldn't worry about it, as he will more then likely never get a narrowboat, just like a lot of question asking Newbe's that suddenly appear on here asking basic questions that if they did a simple search would find the answer, like the one above that has been asked many times before in many guises on here.

Dude you are a mega jerk. You should just have a heart attack already and leave me alone. 1964 is pretty old to have so much hate in u. Im 34 and retired i can do what i want when i want. If i want to go to uk i will on my own time. In the meantime i am doing harmless reasearch. These questions are not answerable anywhere else as they require exp. Feel free to leave your first and last name  along with vessel and marina berthed on this server if you truly belive ill never make it to uk and we can talk it out face to face. Or you can stop posting on my posts. 

Edited by cksantos85
  • Unimpressed 1

15 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

Dude you are a mega jerk. You should just have a heart attack already and leave me alone. 1964 is pretty old to have so much hate in u. Im 34 and retired i can do what i want when i want. If i want to go to uk i will on my own time. In the meantime i am doing harmless reasearch. These questions are not answerable anywhere else as they require exp. Feel free to leave your first and last name  along with vessel and marina berthed on this server if you truly belive ill never make it to uk and we can talk it out face to face. Or you can stop posting on my posts. 

Typical Yank, not the brightest of sparks, after all you joined in on this post well after the subject was over, I wonder why?

Edited by PD1964

Im hawaiian get it right. 

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Typical Yank, not the brightest of sparks, after all you joined in on this post well after the subject was over, I wonder why?

Because i am trolling all your comments.  You will never comment again with out me there showing you my love the way you shared yours with me,