David Freeman Boat Surveyor

Pegasus_03

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Pegasus_03 said:

Thanks for replying! Where you with him when he did the survey, in your experience was he up for answering question? 

Yes, though I left him alone while he did the survey, He seemed happy enough to chat after.  He's probably the go to surveyor for folk who keep their boats on the same mooring as mine.  His main problem is that he can sometimes be a bit slow to actually write up the survey report and email it to you.

If I was a surveyor, I wouldn't want the client, (owner or buyer), with me while I was doing it. I have experience of house surveys and inspections, and having an owner/buyer there significantly extends the time it takes to do the job, and can also distract to the point where you might miss something important.

I would, however, be happy to sit down with them after the survey for a half hour/45 minute chat, if they wanted.

This is exactly what Steve Hands did when he did our survey in 2011. His survey was excellent, and his way of doing things was excellent.

As a tradesman, I am used to having a 'charlie' on my back from the 'nothing to do and all day to do it' brigade. If I am asked whether I mind being watched, My reply is that I have sufficient in my ability to stand scrutiny, and will gladly explain the job. I will answer all questions, and whilst it may take longer to do the job,  it shouldn't add too much to the invoice.

This tends to focus their  mind and I get left to carry on.

Having watched a surveyor, in passing, on someone else's boat, there is not a lot constructive that he would be able to contribute at the time. His report will consist of a precis of all his meter readings, combined with a visual inspection, which needs to be considered as a whole.

To most people, a piecemeal commentary would not make a lot of sense anyway.

Edited by Ex Brummie
early finger

13 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

As a tradesman, I am used to having a 'charlie' on my back from the 'nothing to do and all day to do it' brigade. If I am asked whether I mind being watched, My reply is that I have sufficient in my ability to stand scrutiny, and will gladly explain the job. I will answer all questions, and whilst it may take longer to do the job,  it shouldn't add too much to the invoice.

This tends to focus their  mind and I get left to carry on.

Having watched a surveyor, in passing, on someone else's boat, there is not a lot constructive that he would be able to contribute at the time. His report will consist of a precis of all his meter readings, combined with a visual inspection, which needs to be considered as a whole.

To most people, a piecemeal commentary would not make a lot of sense anyway.

Given that a price is generally agreed to in advance, there generally isn't the opportunity for a surveyor, (house or boat), to use your ploy - which is a shame.

Our surveyor was pretty assertive in his pre-emptive refusal in advance, (it might even have been in his terms and conditions), and, as I said, he was happy to spend almost an hour with me in the saloon once he had finished.