Marple water point

IanD

Featured Posts

58 minutes ago, IanD said:

Is this the slowest water point in the world? Took over an hour to fill up a tank that was probably only half empty, I reckon it was taking about a minute per gallon...

I gave up a few weeks ago....then there was a queue at Poynton.....ended up at the CRT yard at Macclesfield which isn’t much better! Considering both of them are quite close to civilisation I’ve no idea why they are so slow....I even looked for any stopcocks at Marple. 

53 minutes ago, MHS said:

Dobson’s lock water point on the Leeds Liverpool. So slow we gave up!

Yes, that's the slowest one I have ever used.  A mate started filling up there and I pinched his hose to fill a 10 litre Jerry can.  It took six minutes to fill it partway, probably 8 litres.

We all gave up at that point!

2 hours ago, MHS said:

Dobson’s lock water point on the Leeds Liverpool. So slow we gave up!

I left the boat filling whilst I took a hire car back. Was still filling when I got back.

Added to say why do other boaters insist on saying "are you going to be long"

Edited by pearley

4 hours ago, frangar said:

I gave up a few weeks ago....then there was a queue at Poynton.....ended up at the CRT yard at Macclesfield which isn’t much better! Considering both of them are quite close to civilisation I’ve no idea why they are so slow....I even looked for any stopcocks at Marple. 

I found the tap at the top of the Bosley flight is one of the fastest I’ve every used. 

( There’s also a tap behind the service block which I failed to notice first time I came up that flight)

Thanks for heads up on slow Marple tap, I’ll make sure I fill up at Bugsworth before going back down the Macc. 

11 hours ago, Goliath said:

I found the tap at the top of the Bosley flight is one of the fastest I’ve every used. 

( There’s also a tap behind the service block which I failed to notice first time I came up that flight)

Thanks for heads up on slow Marple tap, I’ll make sure I fill up at Bugsworth before going back down the Macc. 

the tap at the back of the service block at Bosley is for the pump-out.

I wouldn't want to fill the water tank from it!

16 hours ago, frangar said:

Basically, the water pressure round there is pants.

I believe that there is a flow restrictor in the line, because without it the neighbouring houses were suffering complete loss of water when the WP was used

All the taps at Fradley Junction were very slow last year for a short while, because some bod at CRT decided in his or hers wisdom, that turning down the water pressure would save water!

Ended up with lots of boats waiting to fill their tanks.

Question! Does a tank full of water at low pressure take less water than a tank full at a higher pressure?

Nipper

59 minutes ago, mayalld said:

I believe that there is a flow restrictor in the line, because without it the neighbouring houses were suffering complete loss of water when the WP was used

A situation probably not helped by the new build houses. Sounds like a problem to put back to the water board. 

I found this online. 

Water suppliers’ statutory service standard level of mains water pressure is 10 metres/head (or one bar). This means there is enough force/pressure to push the water to a height of 10m.

This is measured at the point where the water leaves the water suppliers pipework and enters yours (usually the outside stop valve or property boundary).

As a guide, if you have a suitable single service pipe, the first tap in the home (this is usually the kitchen tap) should be able to fill a 4.5 litre (one gallon) bucket in 30 seconds, with all other taps and appliances turned off. Another way of putting it is enough water pressure to fill a cold water storage cistern in a two storey house roofspace.

Edited by frangar
To add info

1 hour ago, frangar said:

A situation probably not helped by the new build houses. Sounds like a problem to put back to the water board. 

I found this online. 

Water suppliers’ statutory service standard level of mains water pressure is 10 metres/head (or one bar). This means there is enough force/pressure to push the water to a height of 10m.

This is measured at the point where the water leaves the water suppliers pipework and enters yours (usually the outside stop valve or property boundary).

As a guide, if you have a suitable single service pipe, the first tap in the home (this is usually the kitchen tap) should be able to fill a 4.5 litre (one gallon) bucket in 30 seconds, with all other taps and appliances turned off. Another way of putting it is enough water pressure to fill a cold water storage cistern in a two storey house roofspace.

The situation was long before the new houses, but it is entirely possible that the new houses resulted in an improvement, and that CRT simply haven't removed the restrictor

18 hours ago, mayalld said:

Then the planning application for six houses resubmitted by CRT will make it even slower then