Is anyone making a stops-at-idle engine yet?

JB Segal

Featured Posts

This is all possible on future boats but not viable for many existing boats. My engine stop is a mechanical process (pull a handle to kill the motor).

No Morse on Consort either. My throttle is a trad-style brass wheel and Forward/Reverse a Pull Handle.

You wouldn't attempt fitting auto stop/start to a vintage car would you? Future boats along with cars will all be Hybrid or electric anyway

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

But Nobody likes a smartass  Peter, electric or not.:offtopic:

'Course it will stop completely when the sun doesn't shine enough, my diesel will run indefinitely in total darkness............:clapping:

But it wont if the government bans it though will it? And the point I am making is that if I do it and it doesnt cause any problems why cant diesels? of course the government option is no pollution from boats so that does rather solve the problem

1 hour ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

This is all possible on future boats but not viable for many existing boats. My engine stop is a mechanical process (pull a handle to kill the motor).

No Morse on Consort either. My throttle is a trad-style brass wheel and Forward/Reverse a Pull Handle.

You wouldn't attempt fitting auto stop/start to a vintage car would you? Future boats along with cars will all be Hybrid or electric anyway

They are converting them to electric though old cars that is a thriving industry has formed around it

11 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

I would never stop a boat engine until she's secured by rope. Starters do fail and automatic systems hammer starters, not just from frequent use but also the inevitable overrun on every start. The starter clutch is not designed for it.

Yes it sounds like a bad idea to me. My boat steers fine when idling and I often cruise at idling speed when in confined areas. I often take the boat out of gear for 5-10 seconds when approaching locks, moorings, etc, to let the boat slide, lose a bit of momentum without going into astern and to see what the wind and current are doing. I certainly wouldn't want the engine cutting out when I went into neutral, while hoping for it to restart when I go back into gear.

I also think there's an inherent hazard here. Imagine if the engine has cut out and someone doesn't realise and thinks the engine is off and has their hands down in the weed hatch. Then someone else accidentally knocks the morse control into gear or is messing around on the deck and is playing with the morse control because they didn't realise the engine was on.

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

I also think there's an inherent hazard here. Imagine if the engine has cut out and someone doesn't realise and thinks the engine is off and has their hands down in the weed hatch. Then someone else accidentally knocks the morse control into gear or is messing around on the deck and is playing with the morse control because they didn't realise the engine was on.

That's why I always have the key in my pocket when working down the weedhatch. Just like I always padlocked off the HV switches and kept the key in my pocket when working.

23 hours ago, Loddon said:

The stop/start on a car does nothing to improve emissions in the real world, it was introduced  purely for the emissions test where the car spends large parts of the test at idle thus helping to improve the figures for the test.

Its a way of cheating the test.

My last 3 cars have had Stop/Start and it's a pain in the a*s*. It's of no benefit in the real world just a legislation workaround and income generation for the dealer. "we've updated the software and fitted a new support battery, that will be £***please. American Express, that will do nicely" :cheers:  

50 minutes ago, Slim said:

My last 3 cars have had Stop/Start and it's a pain in the a*s*. It's of no benefit in the real world just a legislation workaround and income generation for the dealer. "we've updated the software and fitted a new support battery, that will be £***please. American Express, that will do nicely" :cheers:  

Should buy a Honda hybrid works great on those, and on Ians merc as well. My mega truck because it electric always stops its motor when it stops, and starts it when you press the accelerator ?

3 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

My mates who have this on their cars...have all disabled it. 

As for cats...I cut the end off mine.. stripped it out..and welded it back together. Gained me lots of horsepower and still passed the MOT. 

I don't know the year of the car but normally, an ineffective cat will be detected by the downstream O2 sensor and illuminate the engine light, which is an MoT fail these days. (Although an older car might not have the downstream O2).

3 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

My mates who have this on their cars...have all disabled it. 

As for cats...I cut the end off mine.. stripped it out..and welded it back together. Gained me lots of horsepower and still passed the MOT. 

I don't know the year of the car but normally, an ineffective cat will be detected by the downstream O2 sensor and illuminate the engine light, which is an MoT fail these days. (Although an older car might not have the downstream O2).