Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes. The house at the end of the road looks a more appealing location.

From memory they are very nice, but a lot smaller. They are actually a semi/terrace of 2 or 3 properties. 

On 19/01/2021 at 12:09, Mike Tee said:

looks to be about 50' from Google Earth - depends how accommodating your neighbours are whether you could get a full length in there.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/631.pdf

SINGLE LONG TERM MOORING AGAINST PRIVATE RESIDENTIAL LAND

Note in particular:

2. Any boat placed at the mooring must fit within the boundaries of the property and not overlap onto neighbouring land. 

On 19/01/2021 at 09:00, mark99 said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/72823194#/media?id=media1

Trent and Mersey. Poss a lot of road noise?

Nice. 

All the white beams are a bit much, but nothing some plaster board wouldn't sort. 

On 15/01/2021 at 16:38, mark99 said:

This was added - sold quickly.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/101814731#/

Happy days. 

On 30/11/2020 at 09:38, Alway Swilby said:

And another one, this time at Anderton.

Link

On 30/11/2020 at 10:03, Tracy D'arth said:

Its got an oak greenhouse carbuncle on the end! Its horrible!

Ive watched this slowly growing over the years, interesting to see inside.

On 15/01/2021 at 23:43, Tim Lewis said:

That see,sto be very cheap for three acres in Weybridge!

The island is, in fact, 4.7 acres. I checked old field map and overlaid current streetview to ensure no land errosion as estate agents blurb is normally incorrect and lacking.

So now we need a map from the sales blurb confirming  property boundaries and whether riparian rights are in place. Guess what? No mention in the agents brochure of either. Shoddy work.

Edited by mark99

The small house is on legs - I think it may have been some sort of mill. Most of the land I would say is subject to severe/frequent flooding except a track alongside the navigation that is built up. There is a mooring just upstream on the weir on the navigation. Access is by the track over the weir(EA?). The property is very small, about the size of a caravan and I bet you wouldn't get planning permission for anything else on the site. I suspect but don't know if the property owns right up to the bank on the Navigation. Did look at it but given the current size of the accommodation and the possible liabilities and obligations and all the Nimby people around there haven't looked into it further. Nice location but there are properties above the town lock/bridge on the old river that would be a better prospect.

1 hour ago, Mike Adams said:

The small house is on legs - I think it may have been some sort of mill. Most of the land I would say is subject to severe/frequent flooding except a track alongside the navigation that is built up. There is a mooring just upstream on the weir on the navigation. Access is by the track over the weir(EA?). The property is very small, about the size of a caravan and I bet you wouldn't get planning permission for anything else on the site. I suspect but don't know if the property owns right up to the bank on the Navigation. Did look at it but given the current size of the accommodation and the possible liabilities and obligations and all the Nimby people around there haven't looked into it further. Nice location but there are properties above the town lock/bridge on the old river that would be a better prospect.

The access is from Jessamy Rd onto a private island which has a public park on it. Then, when there proceed from that first private island through a gated block of flats that takes you to and over a private bridge to Bulldogs or Bull Dog Island; the Island in question which has the small house which was a weir control house?. ETA - I can see it was perhaps a small mill site as it's called "small mill"  ;)

The main mill for that area was an "oil mill" (Ham Oil Mills) and is located where the private bridge and gated block of flats is now next to Thames Lock. Ie first private island not Bulldogs Island.

It is in the flood zone NRA map. The land may flood and cut you off from getting in and out the house with a car. Although with all this recent rain it's still no-where near flooding. The huge houses in Wey Road nearby are more at risk not being on stilts.

It's a curio property alright. It did have planning permission refused not so long ago for something or other - can't remember now. With over 900m river frontage round its perimeter no doubt it will sell to someone (as a second home I guess) but it does rely on whether riparian rights are involved to sell at that price!

Shored up frontage.

https://www.riverworksltd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=23

ETA

Capture10.JPG

Edited by mark99

This was the house with mooring we looked at 12 or 15 years ago in Jessamey Rd backing on the Wey entrance from Thames. IIRC 60 or even 70 foot mooring. The river is very high when photo taken. I reckon the best house in Jessamy Road - right at then end with good mooring. Direct access to the Thames.

Capture9.JPG

Edited by mark99

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It was discussed on here a month or two ago, so it's evidently got some feature which has prevented it from selling quickly. The shed is curable, the close proximity to what is apparently a busy road is not.