Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Peter X said:

I'd feel haunted if I were passing by on the canal when the new owner decides to try out that cannon shown in the estate agent's photos.

The cannon is probably left over from the time of Edwin Star's ownership.

After all he did have a hit with the song "War". 

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

Is it actually for sale? It’s not on Rightmove, Zoopla or OnTheMarket.com. 

The PDF listing posted is 4 years old and it’s not on the Mark Evans website.
By chance will be cruising past Pooley Hall tomorrow and will look out for a for sale sign. 

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

Is it actually for sale? It’s not on Rightmove, Zoopla or OnTheMarket.com. 

The PDF listing posted is 4 years old and it’s not on the Mark Evans website.
By chance will be cruising past Pooley Hall tomorrow and will look out for a for sale sign. 

I did wonder as it was for sale about 4 years ago, and Athys record collection got a spin then too.

Further entertainment is to be had from that ad for Pooley Hall farmhouse. It states that:

The present Hall was built in 1509 by Sir Thomas Cockayne "The Magnificent" who was knighted at the Battle of Tournai by King Henry VII.

Feeling interested, and doubting that Henry VII got around to a foreign war like that while he was busy spending his reign consolidating his hold on the throne after his victory over Richard III at Bosworth, I just looked up the history.I think the estate agent has got details wrong, lifting an error from the Wikipedia article on Pooley Hall! The 1509 date of construction may be correct, but the battle and monarch look wrong. For example, see 

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Cokayne-41

I didn't want to get too bogged down in research, but it seems that Sir Thomas Cockayne "The Magnificent" was knighted after the Seige of Tournai (itself part of the  aftermath of "The Battle of the Spurs") in 1513 by Henry VIII...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Spurs

The Battle of Tournai was much later, in 1794.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

And another one, this time at Anderton.

Link

Suitable for people with a hearing deficiency (proximity to busy road), dislike of gardening (nothing at front and back with just a little to the side, no children resident or visiting (no protective railing waterside) and after an over-priced small 3 bed detached! And with a 180ft boat to moor! (Does the price reflect an unofficial mooring income?)

That's quite handsome, despite the oddly sterile back garden. But I wonder how busy the road, which passes very close to the front of the house, is. I must say that, although I can't see any dimensions, the house doesn't strike me as "small".

Whenever I see that estate agent's name, a Beach Boys song starts going through my head.

Edited by Athy

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

?? There are dimensions in the room descriptions.

....which were not immediately obvious, so I didn't see them. The advert was poorly laid out by the estate agents.

Edited by Athy

16 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Nobody mentioned this yet? 

Fancy living in a canalside museum? 

It is either eccentric or has character depending on one's point of view. To call it "detached" is stretching a point on the estate agent's part; perhaps "Collection of outbuildings with attached small cottage" would be a more honest description.

It's one of those properties to which my heart might say "Yes" but my head would say "No". Quite modestly priced, though, for when the right person comes along.

On 08/11/2020 at 20:20, zenataomm said:

I'd be more worried about the heels of your feet girl.

Welcome to the forum, stay safe.

Loved the conservatory when we were moored opposite a couple of months ago. Looks really nice inside but have you watched the video? Bit of an own goal by the estate agent, you can hardly hear him over the traffic noise 

Edited by WhiteSuit
Idiot I meant to quote alway swilby

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Shed?, do you mean the Retro style Porch?

no, that stripey monstrosity in the garden.

i know you could easily remove it (preferably with nukes from orbit) but as i'm in no position to spaff £500k on a house i may as well find silly reasons to justify not buying it, like that gravel being the wrong colour ;) 

• Greenie 1

On 30/11/2020 at 23:46, noddyboater said:

Err.. no it isn't.  Have you not seen the photos on the advert?  The workshop is big enough to live in.

I've been inside it, the house is tiny.

If you want big the warehouse next door is, or at least used to be, a single dwelling

Edited by Tim Lewis