Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

Brighouse: "one of the less salubrious stretches".

As it appears in the Estate Agent's ad:

141764_MM001017_IMG_22_0000.jpeg

Flooded badly in the 2015 boxing day floods, lots of work done to it afterwards. From memory the water level would have been half way up the front door / ground floor windows, it was 5 to 6ft above the lockside.

13 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Is there a salubrious part of Brighouse? Most of the time i’ve spent there has been in traffic jams :( 

Market Tavern is nice.  

Mind you the 'Spoons in the old Methodist Chapel is one of their nicest buildings but one of their worst pubs!

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Market Tavern is nice.  

Mind you the 'Spoons in the old Methodist Chapel is one of their nicest buildings but one of their worst pubs!

When we went there several years ago it delivered exactly what you'd expect from a 'spoons -- no different to any other -- but in rather nicer surroundings.

Some people like 'spoons because they're dirt cheap and the beer/food is often OK but never delicious. I'd rather pay more in the hope of getting better beer/food, plus the certainty that my money doesn't go to Tim Martin...

11 minutes ago, IanD said:

When we went there several years ago it delivered exactly what you'd expect from a 'spoons -- no different to any other -- but in rather nicer surroundings.

Some people like 'spoons because they're dirt cheap and the beer/food is often OK but never delicious. I'd rather pay more in the hope of getting better beer/food, plus the certainty that my money doesn't go to Tim Martin...

Have you tried the crafty fox on the main street. Real ale and ciders 🦊❤️😉

13 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Have you tried the crafty fox on the main street. Real ale and ciders 🦊❤️😉

We were going to, but didn't get round to it, we were only there for one evening...

1 hour ago, IanD said:

< snip >

Such as.........?

39 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Such as.........?

Do you mean "non-'spoons" or are you asking what beers I like?

My experience with 'spoons is that their beer selection isn't always the greatest, and they're not always in good condition, and they focus on the bigger breweries which can supply lots of pubs and whose beer is not always top-notch -- but they are always cheap! -- and you can get decent beers in good condition some of the time, the percentage varying from branch to branch.

The service is very often terrible and they know nothing about what they're selling, but if you pay peanuts... 😞

Better beer? Dark Star Hophead, Landlord (up North), Salopian, Bathams -- the list is long and delicious... 😉

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Do you mean "non-'spoons" or are you asking what beers I like?

My experience with 'spoons is that their beer selection isn't always the greatest, and they're not always in good condition, and they focus on the bigger breweries which can supply lots of pubs and whose beer is not always top-notch -- but they are always cheap! -- and you can get decent beers in good condition some of the time, the percentage varying from branch to branch.

The service is very often terrible and they know nothing about what they're selling, but if you pay peanuts... 😞

Better beer? Dark Star Hophead, Landlord (up North), Salopian, Bathams -- the list is long and delicious... 😉

Your experience is opposite to mine.

In London Spoons pubs rarely have less than ten ales on of which 5 or 6 will be independent./local ales and will be in tip top condition, I cannot ever remember getting a 'bad' pint in a spoons and I've been in dozens. Service is generally no worse than any other pubs.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

In London Spoons pubs rarely have less than ten ales on of which 5 or 6 will be independent./local ales and will be in tip top condition, I cannot ever remember getting a 'bad' pint in a spoons and I've been in dozens. Service is generally no worse than any other pubs.

Plus of course some of us echo Mr Martins feeling’s on the EU! Long live Wetherspoons 

56 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I cannot ever remember getting a 'bad' pint in a spoons and I've been in dozens

I would generally agree, with the notable exception of the Green Parrot in Perranporth,  Cornwall, where I had one of the worst pints I have ever tasted, and the alternatives on offer were not exactly well kept.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I would generally agree, with the notable exception of the Green Parrot in Perranporth,  Cornwall, where I had one of the worst pints I have ever tasted, and the alternatives on offer were not exactly well kept.

One of the very very few pints that I couldn’t drink nor finish was in Wetherspoons in Oxford centre. But have to say that was the only bad experience that I have suffered in a Wetherspoons beer wise.

Edited by Nightwatch

I don't go to a pub to have highly biased and inaccurate political propaganda pushed at me via leaflets.  Whether I agree with the basic sentiments is irrelevant.  I wouldn't give my custom to any business which did this.

Back when I used to occassionally go in a Spoons, I remember the beer being decent but the food being absolutely dreadful (but cheap).

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

And I've has the opposite experience in London; their beer choices are often bland and not to my taste, and the service is definitely slower and worse than other *good* pubs I go into -- maybe similar to other crap ones, but then I avoid these...

YMMV 😉

16 hours ago, IanD said:

Yeahbut.....

If one is a beer snob, sorry geek one knows to avoid Gloom Bar, Abbot etc.

Hophead and a selection of Salopian beers have appeared on the wickets at the local McSpoons here in Ryde, as has Holden's Golden Glow, which I'm convinced is Holden's take on Batham's Bitter.

And Landlord is best avoided anywhere but a TT tied house (it's a matter of how long a cask is cellered before being put up)

I've just returned home from there (coffee not beer for me at 09:30!) and as well as the usual suspects beers from these breweries was available: Peerless, Titanic, Goff's, a n other, can't remember, and Goddard's the local brewery.

What does get up my nose about Wetherspoons, apart from Mr Martin's politics, is their table service app. Introduced for lazy sods who are too idle to get off their lardy arses and wait at the bar in the proper, time honoured way.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

...you have never had a pint in one?

Correct!

I can also claim to have only ever eaten one MacDonalds, back in the 70s when they first turned up here. It was disgusting! Never again.