Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

I hope any buyers notice the height of all the electrical sockets on the ground floor, and the fact that there are no carpets.
I doubt there is any flood insurance!

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

An absolute beauty, with a marvellous view, and moorings that are not actually subject to EOG fees if you stand up to CRT.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81978268.html

48841_29795619_IMG_03_0000_max_656x437.jpg

I'd agree the location is great, but the house a beauty? Maybe I expect too much but if I was paying that kind of money I'd want things a bit more special inside. And those lovely PVC doors and windows? 

• Greenie 1

Aaaargh, don't tempt me. That 6 bed semi at Shillingford looks great, but it isn't Croydon. No waterside properties here, no waterway. They closed our canal in 1836 and the river Wandle doesn't cut it. And, while I could contemplate a house upgrade and I'm in the midst of some serious financial planning, my accountant would have kittens if I suggested going for a £1.500,000 house; a complex thing to aim for.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

I got a bit dizzy watching that video.

The camera pans up then the camera pans down (ad nauseum).

A bit like being on a house viewing rollercoaster. ?

But that Tamworth house has a dining hall! According to the Property details. At 9' wide I think that's rather a grand description, but it becomes a dining Room on the floor plan. It would be a tight squeeze to get my big dining table and its 8 chairs in there. But then it's rather tight in my existing house, and the most I've had to dinner here yet, since I got my table back (another off-topic story), is 5 including three small grandchildren. Whoever turns up last for dinner at that front door in Tamworth would have to be seated at that end.

These topics about properties are the gift that keeps on giving; there's always something daft in a property ad to make fun of.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/09/2020 at 15:02, cuthound said:

Top one now displaying a ""SOLD" sign.

Nice house for sale in Disley by the canal. £650,000.

11 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Would love to see this thread made a sticky, mods! And please @ me if anyone sees a nice peaceful cottage with a 65' mooring... Location unimportant but under a quarter mil though please and thank you!

The problem with 'stickys' is that most people just scroll straight past them to the first new post. I couldn't tell you what the current sticky threads are. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

If you would like to live in the fens Fens there are at least 4 properties in March with moorings on the old river Nene.

If they're in West End they're worth a look - it's a most attractive part of town, with a lane which narrows down to a footpath. Convenient for services, blah blah. We looked at this location before buying our house in Upwell.

According to our friend Firesprite, it comes with its own semi-resident mentally ill burglar, which may be something of a discouragement.

Living in the Fens would be great. One question though would be what happens during floods? As I understand it the whole area has to be carefully navigated because the water levels are liable to change often and dramatically - is it even possible to have a permanent mooring on the Nene?

My understanding is that you still need to pay CaRT rent when you moor at the end of your garden, if it's a river you have riparian rights and don't need to pay anyone. Is that right?

6 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Living in the Fens would be great. One question though would be what happens during floods? As I understand it the whole area has to be carefully navigated because the water levels are liable to change often and dramatically - is it even possible to have a permanent mooring on the Nene?

My understanding is that you still need to pay CaRT rent when you moor at the end of your garden, if it's a river you have riparian rights and don't need to pay anyone. Is that right?

Depends upon how many fingers you have. :)

36 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

As far as mooring is concerned that is correct, you will have to get permission from EA to construct a mooring and you will have to pay a boat registration fee to have your boat on the water.

It is possible to have a mooring on the Nene / Gt Ouse but it does have to be well built to allow for water level changes.

You also now need a registration/licence on the Middle Level but riparian rights apply there as well.

59 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Depends upon how many fingers you have. :)

That went over my head.

23 minutes ago, Loddon said:

you will have to get permission from EA to construct a mooring and you will have to pay a boat registration fee to have your boat on the water.

Is that difficult to do - would you need plans and things or is it just a case of getting a thumbs up? A gold license would cover mooring on EA waters and MLN right?

My family is all in East Anglia so the Fens is actually not a bad base for me. @Dav and Pen do you have any more info on those four properties?

To be completely honest I am probably just dreaming, the bank manager would have to be in a very good mood to lend me enough to buy any sort of house I think, let alone one with water frontage and one with a mooring, but still no harm in dreaming.